Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:08 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wrong. Red light camera use is declining every year. Your link says 438 communities as of March 2016. The same site said 469 for March 2015, and 495 for Dec. 2014. The peak was 540 in 2012.

Communities put brakes on red-light cameras as studies differ on results | Fox News

https://algaonline.org/index.aspx?NID=460

Red-light camera use declining nationwide, website reports | NOLA.com
Good to know. Thanks for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 AM

13 posts, read 13,360 times
I've only seen this in really up-scale neighborhoods, but yeah. I could imagine it'd be a nice stream of revenue for the HOA.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:03 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yealink141 View Post
I've only seen this in really up-scale neighborhoods, but yeah. I could imagine it'd be a nice stream of revenue for the HOA.
Its not revenue to the HOA, the cop is legally writing tickets enforced by the County. The funds go to the County just like any other ticket. Now if they have a "rent a cop" like some gated communities do then yes they get to pocket the ticket revenue.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The question of whether they 'can' do it, depends on local laws and police department policies regarding hiring off-duty policemen ... and probably also the HOA bylaws regarding approval of spending funds that way.
In regards to the police, my bet is that a substantial number of jurisdictions allow it. In my city, hiring off duty police for a variety of events is common.

San Diego once ended the practice after a series of incidents involving off duty police on dubious after hours assignments. But... a lot of police had grown accustomed to the extra income. After loud complaints from the men in blue, it was re-instated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Depends on who owns the roads. You cant install speed bumps on city streets, the city has to. Good luck getting that done.
Tell me about that. We tried to do that once on a outlying street where a hill followed by a curve mixed with speeding had a big risk of a head on collision. The city informed us that there would need to be a series of accidents first- followed by an extensive study.

Last edited by Cryptic; 03-11-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-11-2016, 08:59 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its not revenue to the HOA, the cop is legally writing tickets enforced by the County. The funds go to the County just like any other ticket. Now if they have a "rent a cop" like some gated communities do then yes they get to pocket the ticket revenue.

And in some states like Maryland, the fines go to the State no matter whether a State Police Trooper, a County Sheriff's Deputy, a County Police officer or a municipality officer writes the ticket.

It does, or is supposed to, get shared back out to the local jurisdictions through State Aid for Police Services but that got cut by 97% by our last Governor.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 AM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This should be obvious. Most (if not all) jurisdictions effectively have no such thing as fully off-duty police officers, just on shift or off shift. If a police officer sees a crime occurring, he should respond officially to it, whether he is on-shift or not. That's why most of them are also required to be armed even off-shift.

Many of the churches in our area, including mine, hire off-shift cops on Sundays. They wear uniforms and guns and operate fully as police officers. They are essentially being paid for their time to be present in a particular area for a particular time. If a crime happens to occur in while they're present, they react as they would if their presence were merely a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate