Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,591,995 times

Advertisements

Except that having a pool can be a negative for many because of safety/liability/maintenance concerns as well as the loss of use of that backyard space, while an elevator (if not needed) just becomes a neutral, out of the way space that can be locked up for safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 07:47 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,967,179 times
In our market, there are lots of homes with elevators (almost expected with certain types of homes) so it would be considered a plus here. However, I also think it's market specific and may be one of those things that doesn't necessarily hurt the value of your home but also doesn't help it either. I think one of those horrible stair climber things would most definitely hurt the value of your home though. If you already have the framing for the elevator, that cuts down on the costs substantially.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,638,678 times
If it's something you need and can afford and can use to write off some of the cost on your taxes get the elevator. If there are two homes around equal price yours with the elevator will certainly impress more people.

You didn't say why you needed it or why you plan to move in a certain time frame. I think if you can mention that without giving too many details away you may get better advice.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,783,086 times
5000 square feet? How long does it take you to clean all of that?

Old 03-11-2016, 09:30 AM

19,367 posts, read 27,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
5000 square feet? How long does it take you to clean all of that?
Considering that the OP is thinking about installing an elevator, I doubt that's a concern beyond the housekeeper enjoying the elevator, too.

No Kudzu, I know several homes here in BCCC have installed elevators. One large home in our neighborhood had it installed when they built in anticipation of parents moving in. The parents didn't move in and the elevator remains unused, but requires inspection every so often (annually maybe?). The couple that own the home don't expect to get their 'investment' into the elevator back, but they also don't believe that it will be a hinderance when they sell.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:06 AM

13,634 posts, read 12,266,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Considering that the OP is thinking about installing an elevator, I doubt that's a concern beyond the housekeeper enjoying the elevator, too.

No Kudzu, I know several homes here in BCCC have installed elevators. One large home in our neighborhood had it installed when they built in anticipation of parents moving in. The parents didn't move in and the elevator remains unused, but requires inspection every so often (annually maybe?). The couple that own the home don't expect to get their 'investment' into the elevator back, but they also don't believe that it will be a hinderance when they sell.
No Kudzu, Have you thought about talking to a realtor local to your zip code? Considering that you live in the most expensive city in NC, and that your city has something of a reputation as being very popular for retirees, you may well be the exception to the rule. It is more unique than someone simply installing one in a suburban tract home.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,802,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No Kudzu, Have you thought about talking to a realtor local to your zip code? Considering that you live in the most expensive city in NC, and that your city has something of a reputation as being very popular for retirees, you may well be the exception to the rule. It is more unique than someone simply installing one in a suburban tract home.
Good idea. that is our plan soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If it's something you need and can afford and can use to write off some of the cost on your taxes get the elevator. If there are two homes around equal price yours with the elevator will certainly impress more people.

You didn't say why you needed it or why you plan to move in a certain time frame. I think if you can mention that without giving too many details away you may get better advice.
I have developed Charcot Foot, have been in a CROW boot for 10 months and stairs are out of the question. Our children will be 18 in 4 years and probably off to college or on their own. We have way too much space for our present needs and both of us are retired now.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,802,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Have never had a housekeeper and certainly would not put in an elevator to accommodate one. We all pitch in to keep the place manageable.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 5,507 times
I would go with the stair lift and later have it removed if needed. A bare bones lowest price elevator would be a huge mistake IMO. Salesman are only concerned with making the sale. 20k sounds suspiciously low for a home elevator system.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,865,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We are hoping to downsize in about 2-4 years to a single story home. Can we recoup the cost of that elevator? We haven't had any elevator people out yet but I just wanted to run this by the professionals here.

Thank you for your comments. Also do you recommend a particular brand or have warnings we should heed?
I'm not sure where Chapel Hill is in relation to Cape Hatteras and Rodanthe, but when my wife and I stayed at the beach house in Cape Hatteras, all the homes had elevators, as they were three story homes with a carport comprising a fourth floor at the bottom and mud room leading to the staircase off the carport. Our beach house was around 5200 sq ft, and we would not have rented it had it not had an elevator. Although most of the occupants (15 total) were in good physical shape, there was so much going up and down it would have been difficult for us to navigate the stairs 20+ times each day. And this was just for a week long stay!

The elevator we had was extremely narrow with an accordion door on the outside, which opened up to the metal doors and into the elevator itself. I think it was a REMI elevator, and a very important operational tip is that all accordion doors had to be securely latched in order for the elevator to move. Otherwise, it would stay on the 2nd floor and someone would have to run up the stairs on each floor to find out which accordion door was unlatched, then latch it to get it going again. Although it was very useful, I would have appreciated a little more width since we had so many people staying. Hauling luggage up such a narrow elevator (it was maybe 5' wide max) was an interesting task indeed.

As for your situation, I doubt you will recoup the cost of the elevator, but I think when upgrading a home, it's not about recouping the costs, unless you're flipping the house for immediate sale. YOU live in it now, YOU'RE going to live in it a long while; is the elevator worth about $15K to YOU? Forget Mr. and Mrs. Theoretical Buyer 5 or 10 years from now, do you like it and want it? If so, it's probably worth the money and convenience for you to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate