Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a new homeowner, I live in Los Angeles. This is my problem, I live next to a vacant lot, which has quite a bit of junk and the trees are bleeding into my driveway and so is the root of a big palm tree. I need to re-build my driveway fence (which is currently a chain link fence being torn up by the trees) and I can't until the owner fixes his side. Also I'm tired of looking at his dirty lot. People use his lot as a shortcut to get over the hill, so a lot of people litter. I called the City and they contacted him to clean it up, he said he would by the end of the month if not he will call. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to clean it! Especially with all the cheap labour in Los Angeles. The City also told him about the trees. I had never met the owner til about the other week, he showed up on the weekend whilst I was in my front yard with my contractors. I believe he's Chinese and I felt like he was picking and choosing when to understand English. I wish I had my friends with me to translate. When I asked him about cleaning up the lot, he acted like he didn't understand but then he was able to ask me to pay for the tree triming and that he'll pay me back. Errrr no!? My contractors told him he needs to remove the trees completely otherwise they'll just keep coming back. I cannot build my fence until he removes these trees. I feel like the city is acting a bit weak or maybe I'm being impatient. I just feel like I'm not getting any real solid communication and solutions. I'm wondering what else I can do? apart from just wait but then how long do I wait for?

T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 03:53 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Generally, when a code violation is issued there is usually a time frame allowed to mitigate the problem. For something that's not an imminent danger, like litter or an overgrown yard, that time frame can be anything from 2 or 3 weeks to a couple months.

As far as the tree goes, if I were a property owner I wouldn't take the word of a fence guy that my tree has to be removed.

I have the feeling that in California removing a healthy tree is a bit more involved than just firing up a chain saw.

The above is just a general opinion, your local codes may vary.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 03-16-2016 at 04:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
I know this isn't a solution but it might lead to one. I have an app on my phone called iTranslate but there are many others. It translates back and forth. Use it to tell the guy what you want him to do and when you want it completed. If you are lucky, he will just do it. If you are not, at least you can show that you explained the problem and he indicated that he understood. The app keeps a record of the conversation.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:47 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
You are allowed to trim trees that are impeding on your property. You don't even need permission, but since you've made him aware of the issue, and he's still not doing anything about it, why aren't you trimming them yourself?

Also, if the roots are an issue, you can do a root barrier to prevent the roots from going in the direction you don't want them to go. This happens a lot in areas with expansive clay soils and preventing roots of trees to get too close to a house's foundation. If the tree dies from disturbing the roots, oops... but that's what you want, right?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You are allowed to trim trees that are impeding on your property. You don't even need permission, but since you've made him aware of the issue, and he's still not doing anything about it, why aren't you trimming them yourself?
+1

People trim the parts of neighbors' trees that hang over their property all the time, here. That happens a lot in New Orleans because things grow really fast due to our heavy average rainfalls. Established tree trimming companies with good reputations know the law. Whenever they come to trim the rest of your trees, (here) they will ask if you want them to trim the neighbors' trees where they hang over your property line. No big deal. They do it all the time.

I would assume the same is true for the roots, and while it will be extra work and extra expense, your fencing guys can take care of roots that have invaded your soil.

Neighbors don't even mind when you have this done, because they know their tree has grown over/under/into your property and that's not right. In fact, if you pay for the work they are usually pretty relieved that they didn't have to pay.

Now as far as the mess on the vacant lot, and city ordinances and stuff, I have no clue! Never lived next door to a lot with a mess on it.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:44 AM

I should have included the photos. It's more than just tree trimming. I don't know why they converted to side ways via TinyPic.com so annoying.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Have you checked a plat map to be really sure where your property line is? You may own a foot or two into your neighbor's yard.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Have you checked a plat map to be really sure where your property line is? You may own a foot or two into your neighbor's yard.

That could be true. Just because there is a fence it does not mean that is the property line.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Good point. I will do that. Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 01:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Also for any easements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate