U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM

424 posts, read 530,595 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start my quest in finding a new house. Besides my "normal" must-haves (3 bd + office, or 4 bd; 2+ bath; decent size kitchen and backyard; lots of storage space), I realized how important it was to me to have a half bath/powder room. I'd never thought about it until now.

My deal breakers are: pool (can't be bothered with the maintenance), galley kitchen (too small for a family of 4), only 3 bedrooms (my hubby works from home so we need some sort of space for a desk), off a busy road (I have 2 small kids)

After talking to my friends about what their deal breakers were, it made me wonder if my list should be longer

What were/are your deal breakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 AM

930 posts, read 826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
I'm about to start my quest in finding a new house. Besides my "normal" must-haves (3 bd + office, or 4 bd; 2+ bath; decent size kitchen and backyard; lots of storage space), I realized how important it was to me to have a half bath/powder room. I'd never thought about it until now.

My deal breakers are: pool (can't be bothered with the maintenance), galley kitchen (too small for a family of 4), only 3 bedrooms (my hubby works from home so we need some sort of space for a desk), off a busy road (I have 2 small kids)

After talking to my friends about what their deal breakers were, it made me wonder if my list should be longer

With you all the way on the pool. A giant insurance liability and $$ maintenance headache. I also have a deal-breaker on corner lots. I have never understood why RE ads consider them a feature. What they are is extra non-private yard in the front that you can't really use and must keep looking nice for the neighborhood, increased traffic noise, and exposure to the street on an additional side of the house. If there are assessments for sidewalks/gutters/street maintenance, you will also pay 2x what your interior lot neighbors will.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM

424 posts, read 530,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
With you all the way on the pool. A giant insurance liability and $$ maintenance headache. I also have a deal-breaker on corner lots. I have never understood why RE ads consider them a feature. What they are is extra non-private yard in the front that you can't really use and must keep looking nice for the neighborhood, increased traffic noise, and exposure to the street on an additional side of the house. If there are assessments for sidewalks/gutters/street maintenance, you will also pay 2x what your interior lot neighbors will.
Never thought about this. Good point!!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,480,001 times
I love a corner lot as its extra garden space. We had one with an extended fence and a nice shady side yard. Just make the fence bigger and you get an extra large back yard. :-)

Deal breakers: garages with a section in the middle (it's harder to get the car out and get things like lawn mowers out) Especially if you have teen drivers. I've seen those sections torn out of homes before.

We pass on homes Backing onto a field, business, or busy road. We've lived on a busy road and it's not fun.

No deep bath tub. It's a must for me. If there isn't one, there must be space to put one in.

We can deal with foundation issues, paint, flooring, cabinets, one sink in the bathrooms, flood plain insurance, MUD taxes, HOA fees, etc...

Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 AM

23,992 posts, read 32,816,218 times
Quote:

• Pools
  • High-maintenance landscaping
  • Laminate flooring everywhere (replacing is too expensive)
  • Super-dark paint colors everywhere (yes, I know paint is cheap...but I have a life)
  • Windows with a bunch of popped seals
  • Weird floorplan
  • No garage
  • Not enough storage
  • Structural damage (termite damage, foundation problem, etc)
  • Is on or backs up to a busy road
  • House stinks (pets, soaked-in cooking smells)
  • Mandatory HOA

Old 03-17-2016, 10:03 AM

43,250 posts, read 41,828,694 times
Adjacent to environmental features I can't change, like power transmission lines, railroad tracks, etc.

Stucco or synthetic (EIFS) stucco

Split level or split-foyer style

Old 03-17-2016, 10:05 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,840,630 times
The cost (and hassle) of costly remodeling/upgrades to achieve desired results --- exceeds the higher cost of a similar home with the desired features.

The neighborhood is showing signs of deterioration (versus appreciation-level upkeep) - with cars, junk and other clutter (check-out on weekends or evenings).

Too many homes for sale in the same general neighborhood.

Schools, shopping and other desirable amenities not conveniently located.

Age of A/C-Heat and Roof will likely require replacement in the next few years.

Odd room layouts or other things that may make the immediate price lower, but, will be difficult to re-sell later.

Foot and street traffic patterns that will infringe on your privacy and silence

High number of rentals in the neighborhood and particularly in adjacent or cross-the-street properties.

Popcorn ceilings, dated cabinets, no sprinkler system, single car garage, lack of storage space, high landscaping maintenance, signs of pet damage

Old 03-17-2016, 10:25 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times
Our deal breakers were:

-less than three bedrooms
-no garage
-busy street
-presence of an HOA

Other than that, we were pretty flexible. We had to be, knowing the price range we wanted to stay in.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM

7,192 posts, read 17,786,550 times
Quote:
... I realized how important it was to me to have a half bath/powder room. I'd never thought about it until now.
If you want the powder bath, you should only be looking at 2 story homes. Very few 1 story homes have a powder bath as it's just the secondary bathroom for the secondary rooms. If you're going to look at 2 story homes exclusively, you need to determine if you want the Master upstairs or downstairs, and that should be a huge deal-breaker for most people...

But then you also have to be flexible. I remember the family that was adamant about a 1 story. When they didn't see anything they liked, they added in 2 story homes, but HAD to have Master downstairs... they bough a 2 story home with the Master upstairs and are still in that house 10 years later.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM

6,635 posts, read 4,597,244 times
Deal Breakers:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate