U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 PM

144 posts, read 491,449 times
Default Shake roof

Is it true that homeowner's insurance will not cover a wood shake roof? I am looking at a home in California that has a wood shake roof. Will it need to be replaced before I can insure it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM

27,913 posts, read 20,452,269 times
We ripped our shake roof off when we bought and went to 30 yr asphalt shingles. The shakes were so dry and cracked, a fire hazard for sure.
I'd call the insurance agent for the home. Shake roofs are a fire hazard and many areas do not allow them anymore.
My neighbor had a dried out shake roof, lightning hit it and boom, gone.
If your insurance company does cover it, it will probably be a higher premium than asphalt or tile rooing.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM

144 posts, read 491,449 times
Thanks. We were thinking about offering asking price but they replace the roof. I don't really want a shake roof, but was wondering if we could get insured if we bought the house and needed some time to replace it.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 PM

13,795 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Default My Agent Took Care of it for Me...

It is true that many companies will refuse to insure a home purchased with a Shake Roof... especially if the home is in what is called an "Urban Woodland Interface"

I had a 25 year history with my agent and he was able to get a waiver after the insurer sent out an inspector to make a thorough inspection, including viewing the roof from a ladder. My roof was not very old and is comprised of Premium Heavy Shake.

You best bet might be to try and piggy-back with the current insurer and agent.

It is possible to treat a Shake Roof to get a better fire rating. The treatment lasts about 5 years.

What is the condition of the roof? Can you negotiate a credit for replacement?

Just watch out in case you obtain insurance only to find it cancelled a few weeks later... it happens more than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate