Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 09:08 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Here in the Boston area, the norm is that once the keys are handed over at the settlement it's your house. A walk through is usually scheduled the day of the settlement to ensure the house is empty/broom swept and all the items agreed to in the P&S are met. As for the financing falling through, that's what earnest money is for - it's yours should the buyer walk away.

Now the buyer may allow the seller to stay a few days in order to get. I would insist on a big chunk being held back in escrow, another walk through, and rent. The seller has known they are moving for at least a month. They should be 99% prepped and ready to go the day of the settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:18 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How many thousands of dollars would you give up to stay in a house that you have committed to move from?
I would want consideration for your convenience and my risk, and a LARGE deposit held back for potential damage when you get around to moving out of MY house.
We sell houses every day, and people move in and out, and it works much better than many people realize.
I would have paid a "rent back" fee if needed, no problem. I have never heard of people who have their house possessions already on a moving truck before they even close. In Ohio, that is certainly not a requirement it seems. My realtor said 48-72 hour right to keep possession is very common in contracts.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
When I bought a house in Utah, it took 3 days for recording. I did not get the keys until recording and I paid CASH. It depends on the state. In LA, MS, and TX, I got the keys when I signed.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
I had a Uhaul waiting in the driveway while we were signing the paperwork at the title office.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here in the Boston area, the norm is that once the keys are handed over at the settlement it's your house. A walk through is usually scheduled the day of the settlement to ensure the house is empty/broom swept and all the items agreed to in the P&S are met. As for the financing falling through, that's what earnest money is for - it's yours should the buyer walk away.

Now the buyer may allow the seller to stay a few days in order to get. I would insist on a big chunk being held back in escrow, another walk through, and rent. The seller has known they are moving for at least a month. They should be 99% prepped and ready to go the day of the settlement.
Same in Florida, you get the keys, its your house.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
In Idaho, we say "signing is just signing, the house isn't yours until it funds and records". This can take anywhere from an hour to 3 days from when the last party signs, but usually happens within a few business hours. So if you sign at 4:00 PM on Friday, you might not legally have possession until Monday morning.

For many years, it was normal here to have possession be scheduled for 2 days after "closing", but these days it is almost always scheduled for the same day. If it is going to be after, there is a form for renting back, and both parties have to make sure they have the proper insurance (homeowner's insurance for the seller has to make sure it covers them as renters, and homeowner's insurance for the buyer has to make sure it covers landlording, since that is what the actual situation is at that point.) There also usually is a holdback of some kind, in case the seller doesn't move and the buyer has to pay to evict them.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:40 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
In Alaska you get the keys when it records, which is typically the next business day. We closed on our new house on Dec 9 and it recorded on Dec 10. Ours was the first to record that day, so we got the keys shortly after 9 am. The house we owned before that closed on Friday, so we didn't get the keys until Monday. It was the same with our winter house in Arizona...closed one day and recorded the next day. It all depends on the state and locality.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I would never expect to move in immediately after you close. You have to give the seller time to move out. They aren't gonna put everything on a moving truck before they close. That would be absurd. I would factor in 48 hours and have that in my contract.

In Alaska it is expected that the seller has vacated prior to closing unless a side deal has been made. I would expect most states to operate the same way.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
That is bizarre, at least to me. The seller isn't going to move all their stuff out prior to closing, that is insane. Things fall out all the time at the last second. As a seller, I would 100% ask for 48 hours right of possession in the contract. And when we closed on the place we bought, the sellers wanted 72 hours, even though they were out in just 24.

I was always out of my old house prior to closing. That's what apartments or family are for if you don't have possession of your new house.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
as soon as the money is wired. You can move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate