Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

My grandfather always said all business is personal based on relationships... I still believe it and Real Estate is unique be definition... it's not like buying a commodity like a stock or gold bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawton723 View Post
Offer made....1k shy of asking, waiting counter offer acceptance. I understand that meeting with seller is frowned upon, but it seems to have worked well for me. Keep in mind, I am located in the South, maybe it's a cultural/regional thing.
I don't think it's a southern thing--I think it can work out anywhere with reasonable people. Glad to hear that it might be working out for you.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Listen, an app, regardless of how useful, should never be used as a substitute for a legal survey. No way should a landowner be marking their own corners based upon where they "think" the corners are located.

A Buyer would be more than ticked off to find out that the corners were not marked by a registered surveyor, but by the owner using some app.
I recently bought a property that wasn't marked at all. If I mark it, I won't assume and build a fence on those markers. I can tell you it's fairly accurate.

Some legal surveyors use the same apps. If the public records give coordinates, and you have an app that gives you coordinates where you are standing at the moment you are holding your phone, why would you not?

If a buyer wants a survey, they can pay for it. Why do you think they want to walk the property? Wait...maybe I should read the more recent posts....

Old 03-19-2016, 05:25 PM

With many professional services it is not just work provided... it is the warranty or backing behind it.

Why use a Title Company when anyone can record at the County Recorder's office and I have bought property this way.

The simply reason is in those rare instances... the Title Company is on the hook to make it right up to the policy limit... same for official surveys certified to you.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I recently bought a property that wasn't marked at all. If I mark it, I won't assume and build a fence on those markers. I can tell you it's fairly accurate.

Some legal surveyors use the same apps. If the public records give coordinates, and you have an app that gives you coordinates where you are standing at the moment you are holding your phone, why would you not?

If a buyer wants a survey, they can pay for it. Why do you think they want to walk the property? Wait...maybe I should read the more recent posts....
You can do whatever you want for your own information. You're probably not going to sue yourself if you provide inaccurate information. Being "fairly accurate" simply isn't good enough if you're representing a particular point in the ground as the corner point. I'm surprised that you would even entertain the thought of a do-it-yourself survey as being satisfactory to provide to a potential Buyer.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawton723 View Post
What's the worst scenario smart money? They don't make an offer? While I would be bummed, I've got a number of other showings scheduled, so hopefully someone will decide to offer.
Worst case scenario is they "do" buy the property, then get a real survey done, and find out "your" information about where the property lines and easements were wrong and sue you for damages, and likely win a good sum of money.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 10,611 times
Except the corners are still plainly marked, and I have copies (and provided them copies) of the survey I had done when I purchased the property.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 PM

In lawyer speak the language always has an out... this is where I believe the corner to be or my best guess... etc.

Speak only in generalities without warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate