Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times

Advertisements

"nice" to me means something that is move-in ready and in a fairly low crime neighborhood (no reports of assault, gunshot or vehicle thefts), preferably CB construction. At least .25 acre land.

But if I am not living in a humid (termites), coastal or hurricane-ridden area, wood-frame would be okay.

I love the more rural areas due to the large lots, but they often lack nearby hospitals and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:12 AM

99 posts, read 93,043 times
Charlotte is clean and safe and relatively cheap.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I wouldn't necessarily rule out college towns. I live in one and don't even notice it too much, except the campus takes up about half the town. The students are gone in summer anyway.
I haven't had any problem with any of them and don't know anyone who has. They're quiet and respectful in public anyway. I guess that isn't true of all college towns but, as I said, don't rule out a place just because there's a college.

Also might be a source of a job.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:05 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What kind of bugs and pests are there? Mosquitoes? Spiders? Scorpions? Snakes? Rats? Wasps? Ticks? Brain eating amoeba? Crabgrass? Poison ivy? And/or what else?
In the desert, there are rattlesnakes. I used to trail ride there and walk my dogs and never saw any, but a friend that looked for them to make beltsvwould walk out there and come back with one. When we bought a new home where other new homes were being built, that backed up to the desert, I saw 2. In established neighborhoods, you don't find them.
There are scorpions here, but again, less common in established neighborhoods. I got stung by one once, and it was like leaning against a sand spur. Not nearly as bad as a bee sting. I had scorpions in the houses that backed up to the desert. None in established subdivisions.
Fleas are uncommon unless you live in the upper valley where there is lots of greenery. I don't even use flea or tick stuff on my dogs. The barn cats in the upper valley I treat monthly.
Mosquitos are rare unless you are in the upper valley. Then they are only an issue during july/aug/sept usually at sunset.
Not many other bugs. I have 11 rental homes, and treat for pests before a tenant moves in, but then they usually don't have any issues for at least a yr.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
El paso, tx. Ranked safest city of its Size for last 4 yrs. Homes start around 90k. A nice home can be had for 150k.
Yeah, if you want to burn to death. OP says she hates hot weather so TX is a huge negative in that department. Signed, a hot natured woman who is about to burn to death in Texas

I'd check out New Mexico, OP, particularly outside Albuquerque. The weather is dry, sunny, with a little snow, some heat, distinct seasons, and the COL is low. Crime rate is a bit high, but not awful.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What kind of bugs and pests are there? Mosquitoes? Spiders? Scorpions? Snakes? Rats? Wasps? Ticks? Brain eating amoeba? Crabgrass? Poison ivy? And/or what else?
My reason for asking this question was not rhetorical. I want to know because I myself might consider El Paso in the future. In other words, I want to know all the advantages and disadvantages of living there. Pests are as good a place as any to start finding out.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yeah, if you want to burn to death. OP says she hates hot weather so TX is a huge negative in that department. Signed, a hot natured woman who is about to burn to death in Texas
What part of Texas are you in? Ever since George Bush senior said "read my lips, no new Texans" I've been hesitating to go there. But Texas is a big place, with more than one climate, which is why I ask where you are.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I know there are many cities where you can buy a house - a nice house - for very little money. But where can you buy a home for under 100K that is not crime-ridden?

I live alone, so I can move anywhere. My job is clerical, so my wages are low. I am older, but not old enough to retire.

I prefer places with seasons, but not a dealbreaker. I hate hot weather, but I don't want to shovel snow, either.

I would not mind a rural town, but I have to be able to find some kind of job if I do, or commuting distance of one.

I MUST be within a few miles of a hospital, just for peace of mind. Say, 10 miles.
Suburbs of Cleveland or Akron, Ohio. You could even get a small well kept rambler with an acre or more for $100k if you like hard enough.

Pay someone to shovel your snow.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
In the desert, there are rattlesnakes. I used to trail ride there and walk my dogs and never saw any, but a friend that looked for them to make beltsvwould walk out there and come back with one. When we bought a new home where other new homes were being built, that backed up to the desert, I saw 2. In established neighborhoods, you don't find them.
There are scorpions here, but again, less common in established neighborhoods. I got stung by one once, and it was like leaning against a sand spur. Not nearly as bad as a bee sting. I had scorpions in the houses that backed up to the desert. None in established subdivisions.
Fleas are uncommon unless you live in the upper valley where there is lots of greenery. I don't even use flea or tick stuff on my dogs. The barn cats in the upper valley I treat monthly.
Mosquitos are rare unless you are in the upper valley. Then they are only an issue during july/aug/sept usually at sunset.
Not many other bugs. I have 11 rental homes, and treat for pests before a tenant moves in, but then they usually don't have any issues for at least a yr.
Lack of mosquitoes might be one big advantage of drier areas such as that. I think they mostly like warm humid climates. Of all the pests, the mosquitoes are the ones I like least. A rattlesnake bite can be a much bigger problem, but the odds are much lower of being bit by a rattlesnake than a mosquito.

One advantage of moderately big cities in warm humid climates is that they're more likely to do city wide spraying for mosquitoes. When we go to small towns to look for cheap houses, there are all kinds of factors like that we have to take into account.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:28 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

I'd check out New Mexico, OP, particularly outside Albuquerque. The weather is dry, sunny, with a little snow, some heat, distinct seasons, and the COL is low. Crime rate is a bit high, but not awful.
TX might work for me. It is hot, but humidity is low (compared to the tropics), and I hate rain.

Combine sunny skies with a low COL and jobs + a reasonably low crime rate and that works for me.

Plus, every Texan I have ever met has been very kind, but I know I shouldn't generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate