Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Thanks so much for the article! That was enjoyable to read.

To review:

1. First couple didn't think about having/growing their family and were only in their tiny house for less than a year.
2. Second guy, didn't think the law would apply to him. So he built his tiny house anyway until he was notified by authorities that his place was too small. He was also in his tiny house for less than a year.
3. Next couple spent a ton of money on a tiny house only to leave it soon afterwards as the area was so isolated that there wasn't internet service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:06 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I wouldn't want to live in a tiny house. To each his own, but such a small space would never work for me.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I wish I had three tiny houses and a yurt. One as a bedroom, one as an office/studio/bathroom, and one as a kitchen. Then the yurt would be the living room. And I would have raised decks connecting them all.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:24 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I would rather have a small mid century home. Lots of those are 1000- 1500 Squarefeet or less. A tiny house has all the issues of a RV without the ease of use. They are fine for a cute vacation spot.

I do love watching them, as I yell things at the screen that they aren't thinking about. :-)

Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
We had a tiny house (144 sq ft) and lived in it for 18 months or so. The only reason we sold it was because of a job move. Now that we are moving again, we have decided to go back to the tiny house idea. At my last job they provided housing for us and it was about ~2500 sq ft and we hated it.

The 12x12 was a bit small so we are looking at building a 16x16 with a loft; perhaps in time add a second tiny house if more space is needed.

Our style was not on wheels, but we are willing to look at that this time around.

As for cost, we built our own so the cost was not bad (less than $5,000). We will be building our again this time.

Yes they take getting used to, but we loved it and miss it.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
We had a tiny house (144 sq ft) and lived in it for 18 months or so. The only reason we sold it was because of a job move. Now that we are moving again, we have decided to go back to the tiny house idea. At my last job they provided housing for us and it was about ~2500 sq ft and we hated it.

The 12x12 was a bit small so we are looking at building a 16x16 with a loft; perhaps in time add a second tiny house if more space is needed.

Our style was not on wheels, but we are willing to look at that this time around.

As for cost, we built our own so the cost was not bad (less than $5,000). We will be building our again this time.

Yes they take getting used to, but we loved it and miss it.
Where did you park it and what did you do for water and sewer?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:13 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
If it's about money, I don't know why they don't look at mobile homes. They're not like the 70s models anymore. Around here, you can buy a 15-year-old (or so) mobile home that's in pretty good shape (although perhaps a bit outdated and in need of cosmetic work) and a piece of land for what the land alone is worth.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:08 AM

84 posts, read 79,807 times
I couldn't do it. My husband and I lived in a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom condo for eight years. We recently upgraded to an 1100 square foot two bedroom, two bathroom condo and the extra space is wonderful. I can store things in logical places, and no longer have a vacuum sitting in the living room 24/7 or a package of toilet paper in the bedroom closet.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Its not for me, at this stage in my life. But I do think theyre beating the game and getting a leg up financially. If I had a way to have the space for my kids but still buy a house for 30k I could have a FAT retirement fund. Down the road I think these tiny homes are actually perfect for retirees and the elderly.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its not for me, at this stage in my life. But I do think theyre beating the game and getting a leg up financially. If I had a way to have the space for my kids but still buy a house for 30k I could have a FAT retirement fund. Down the road I think these tiny homes are actually perfect for retirees and the elderly.
Not if they have a sleeping loft. You also need to keep in mind that you may have mobility issues and need to get around in a wheelchair. Both of my parents needed wheelchairs for awhile after recovering from surgery or a stroke. Smaller ranch style homes are perfect for the elderly. Tiny homes are perfect for single people in their late teens or early twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate