Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 04:31 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,835 times

Advertisements

I have another question about transitioning from FSBO to Realtor. How does it typically work when you have been attempting to sell by owner and have a list of names of those who have seen the home already (prior to contract with Realtor). In particular, I have one prospective buyer who seems very interested but the timing is not quite right for them. It would be a shame (for us!) to pay the full commission if they make an offer in the next month or so. However, I realize that the listing agent deserves compensation for all the marketing, etc. provided to us. What is fair? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:34 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,756 times
You can have the Realtor put this potential buyer as an "exclusion" to the listing within a certain time frame, and possibly offer to pay a smaller commission for him/her to handle the paperwork if this buyer does come through with an offer.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
It is customary to list specific buyers, by name and address, as an exclusion. Most agents put a deadline on such exclusions. After all, a good Realtor is investing in the sale of your home with time and money.

I have not once heard of one of these buyers coming back. I am sure it must have happened to someone, somewhere.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
You can exclude a buyer IF the local MLS allows that. I know our MLS does not allow listings to go on the MLS if there are any exclusions. I would talk with your agent as WendyK suggested and see about doing a reduced fee for handling the transaction.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is customary to list specific buyers, by name and address, as an exclusion. Most agents put a deadline on such exclusions. After all, a good Realtor is investing in the sale of your home with time and money.

I have not once heard of one of these buyers coming back. I am sure it must have happened to someone, somewhere.
I've had it happen once after about 70 exclusions to contracts for sellers. And of course it was on a 600K listing....go figure....

~Joey

Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,428,667 times
My brokerage's policy is for 2 weeks for excluded parties, where the list is provided at the time of signing of the listing agreeement.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
I've had it happen once after about 70 exclusions to contracts for sellers. And of course it was on a 600K listing....go figure....

~Joey
I've had it happen 2x on the 2 times I did it. One was a 425k and one was a 260k...both high end properties for the areas. I expected the one on 260k when I listed it though. I figured by listing it they'd make a quick decision knowing they had a week and they did. Made the buyers quit beating around the bush.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
You could ask the agent to make an exclusion. Since the agent has to invest time and money to begin marketing your home, I would suggest determining a fair amount to compensate the realtor for the time and money invested on your behalf, and a time limit of 2 weeks for the exclusion.

That would seem fair for both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate