Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I don't understand how you can take the job on Thursday then be too busy next Tuesday. Or, if you're busy, you're busy. What can you do? Skip someone else's house to do mine?
I don't know about your appraiser but mine told me that he normally does not work evenings or weekends but that he was so busy recently that not only is he working nights going to people's houses but he had to go into the office both Holy Saturday and part of Easter Sunday.

I don't know about you but if I had to go into work on Easter Sunday, instead of spending the day with my family, I would charge an extra $100.

But, I don't know if your situation was a scam or not a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I do not know if your situation is a scam or not, but I recently needed an appraiser in Wisconsin.

I called several different companies and every single one of them were quoting me times that were much, much longer than usual. Such as three weeks instead of their usual three days. And, at least one place said that they weren't even taking any new clients.
How can YOU be calling appraisers? I thought that they were assigned by the lender through some automatic, non-selecting process?

Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Think about how your appraisal will turn out if you balk at paying it. Any flexibility will disappear and it might just end up being so conservative your loan won't float which could cause the need for another appraisal.

Kind of like messing with the person cooking your food...

Old 03-30-2016, 09:35 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Last Thursday the company handling my mortgage arranged for an appraisal. The cost was $475. Today I got a call from the mortgage guy who said because there are a "shortage" of appraisers in the area, it will cost another $100 to get the appraisal done by the 6th. Otherwise not till after the 20 th. This is in CA.
Thoughts?
Quote:
I don't understand how you can take the job on Thursday then be too busy next Tuesday. Or, if you're busy, you're busy. What can you do? Skip someone else's house to do mine?
By what I bolded in your OP, it does sound like you're paying a "rush" charge of $100 and yes, it's likely your house would be made a priority since the 6th is only one week away.

You could elect not to pay the $100, but then you'd have to wait three weeks for your appraisal - jeopardizing your closing date.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I do not know if your situation is a scam or not, but I recently needed an appraiser in Wisconsin.

I called several different companies and every single one of them were quoting me times that were much, much longer than usual. Such as three weeks instead of their usual three days. And, at least one place said that they weren't even taking any new clients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How can YOU be calling appraisers? I thought that they were assigned by the lender through some automatic, non-selecting process?

I hired an appraiser to get the fair market value of my condo. I may attempt to do a private sale.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 AM

15 posts, read 16,005 times
It doesn't sound like an appraiser issue at all. It appears that your lender simply didn't know what the appraisal would cost and quoted you the wrong fee in the beginning. If you are using an attorney then talk to them to see if this is a RESPA violation. There are complex rules concerning the disclosure of fees to you and some of those fees are not allowed to be changed after the disclosure, while other are.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
During the downturn many appraisers turned to new occupations. Now the economy and home sales have picked back up but people arent exactly anxious to jump back into it.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I've been appraising homes in Los Angeles for 25 years and I can assure you that 6-7 days to complete an appraisal is not a RUSH around here. When I get a rush order, it means that I'm seeing the property today and you'll have it late tonight. The issue may be that where you live there are few appraisers available so the turn times are (vastly) extended. It could also be the case that your particular lender has a bad AMC with a small appraiser panel. Either way, it's the fault of your lender, not the appraiser. In all but a few cases, we no longer dictate the fees. We either accept or reject the order at the fee offered. If turn times are typically long in your area, it could be that a rush fee is needed to get it done in a week. However, your lender should have known that and charged you properly up front.

Where in California do you live? I may have to move there.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Now I want to know what it takes to become an appraiser. So, Mike what do you need to get into the business?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
We are dropping appraisers from the ranks at about a 5% annual clip.
This has been going on since the AMCs came into power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate