Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM

23 posts, read 36,876 times

Advertisements

Just reached a deal for a 2nd winter time getaway home in S. CA. Will be nice to get out of the midwest in future winters.

My buyer's agent underwhelms me.

He has been too pushy for our taste and I am almost certain revealed to the listing agent (they are in the same office and are long time buddies) what had only been my preliminary"draft" counter offer.

I believe this because the draft came back to me as the final counter from the seller in its exact form, a different split between furniture costs and the escrow price. (We kept the grand total of the two the same - but I was told the seller in his counter wanted more for the furniture and a lower sale price - ostensibly for capital gain savings - but I think primarily to protect himself if my cash-deal appraisal came back low).

I took the counter but alas I'm not now all that trusting of my own realtor. Poor shopping on my part a few weeks ago. But that's history.

My realtor now was trying to steer me toward one particular appraiser and one particular home inspector. His own choice.

Of course I'm smart enough to avoid this. He never even asked if we wanted some suggestions. Just texted them over to me.

We'll hire our own. But the realtor wants the appraiser's contact info and to know the time of the appraiser's visit. Do I need to share this? Do appraisers and inspectors fall victim to overly eager agents? If I let our realtor know that his credibility is low with me, am I risking much?

My chosen appraiser is a licensed RE broker and can use the MLS lock box to get into the house. I'd like to tell both my agent and the listing agent to not bother our appraiser during his visit. Fair request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,172,911 times
My take on it ( not a RE agent here )

Buyers agent is not involved at all in the appraisal ( except to disclose the results to his buyer )

Agent needs to be there for the inspection ( as should the buyer ) - obvious to give said inspector access to the home as well as assist buyer during inspection

Just my .02 cents

Edited to add: OK to consider referalls for inspector from your agent ( I chose a separate inspector on my last home purchase as I had great confidance and many other referalls from friends / buyers agent added my inspector to his list for future insp )

Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,885,305 times
Our agent had nothing to do with the inspection or appraiser. We used our own inspector (referred to us by our attorney) and the bank chose the appraiser. I think we may have shared the date/time both would be showing up with the seller.

I wasn't with the appraiser and think that the sellers were, but not sure. There weren't any agents there. My lender shared the appraisal results with me directly.

I was with the inspector. It was only me, my husband, and the inspector. Agents weren't there and neither was the seller. I should note that the seller had moved out by that point and the house was empty.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 AM

23 posts, read 36,876 times
Thanks all...

Note this would be a cash deal so there I'm ordering up the appraisal on my own (no bank involved!) because we're at the high-end of the nearby comps and it is worth it for the peace of mind that we're not vastly overpaying (though we do love the house and it has the best location in the development).

Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,497,929 times
As a realtor, I wouldn't want to tell the buyer which inspector to use. I give a list of all licensed inspectors, and tell them who I have used to inspect my personal homes ( I own 12...so have some experience with them), and who I know does lousy inspections and miss a lot of things. I don't want the liability of them picking an inspector that I told them to pick.

For an appraisal, I definitely would pick whomever you want...not one recommended by an agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate