U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:11 PM

14,932 posts, read 16,975,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacoast View Post
... WE have to PAY to have someone else to come out and to tell us that yes, it is wetlands. The County even told me that if I have the EPA come out and delineate it will not be enough. They said I still have to involve the Water Management District..pay them to come out and tell us what we can or can not do with the property. This is just beyond frustrating.
You seem to be most upset about having to PAY someone to evaluate whether it's wetlands. You should really look into the potential cost of paying someone if you really still are considering building on the property. Possibly paying would be $2000 or less. Who knows, maybe it's cheaper than that.

You might find out that some of the property is wetlands and some isn't. Then you can find out the rules for building on the portion that isn't wetlands.

There are land planners/attorneys/engineeering firms that specialize in these issues. Talk to them to find out the steps needed and get them to give you an idea on what your costs might be for evaluation. You might get first step evaluation first to see if it's worth it to go forward with full blown documentation that meets the requirements for your county.

Maybe it's not as bad as it seems. Right now it's confusing because so many steps.

People in many areas of Florida also go through lots of steps/government agencies just to get boat docks approved/built. But there are firms that know all the steps involved. People hire these firms when they want boat docks. They don't give up and sell the land because they have to pay someone to evaluate/prove that a boat dock can be built.

One question for you...have you walked the property? Does it have trees? Do your feet get wet anywhere on the property? What kinds of plants are there? What is the terrain like .lower portions and other parts that are higher elevation? Did you get an elevation survey done when you purchased? What does the soil look like if you put some in your hand? Sandy or black mucky?

What part of Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 03:31 PM

4,519 posts, read 8,173,619 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just frustrated as it seems from what I am being told that no one would ever want to buy it.
You have not put it up for sale yet, so how would you know no one wants to buy it. Sheeeeeesh.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM

6,404 posts, read 7,628,959 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for responding. You are asking all the questions I asked. It is very confusing. Basically I was told that some Army Corps. of Engineers people sitting behind a desk looking at satellite images of the US are deciding what is or is not added to the Wetlands Inventory Map. And yes, I have been completely perplexed that the County is telling me it IS wetlands but yet WE have to PAY to have someone else to come out and to tell us that yes, it is wetlands. The County even told me that if I have the EPA come out and delineate it will not be enough. They said I still have to involve the Water Management District..pay them to come out and tell us what we can or can not do with the property. This is just beyond frustrating.
In reality, it matters little what is indicated on a Wetlands Inventory Map. Either it's wetlands, or it's not. Or maybe only a portion of the property is wetlands. Wetlands Inventory Maps simply give people a heads-up that they may have wetlands. All wetlands need to be verified with on-site wetland surveys, known as wetland delineation. The maps are just guides as to where those wetlands might be.

Identifying wetlands on maps helps people to avoid making costly mistakes. Quite frankly, wetlands make poor building sites. There are a host of problems one can experience if a builder constructs a house in a wetland. There are numerous properties which contain wetlands that aren't regulated, due to size or location. I've seen too many unscrupulous builders build houses in those wetlands, to the chagrin of the subsequent purchaser. You may be rightly upset to find that your property is wetlands, but I think you'd be even more upset if you built there and had to deal with the consequences.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM

7,988 posts, read 6,870,389 times
Should get a lawyer and make a suite against the former owners , and if this is the government ,....................... as the plan was to build on the property was changed by this wet land rule for some corrupt reason ........ In some areas people just get clean fill and build up the land for housing , and the wet land animals can take a hike

Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM

3,654 posts, read 1,818,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Should get a lawyer and make a suite against the former owners , and if this is the government ,....................... as the plan was to build on the property was changed by this wet land rule for some corrupt reason ........ In some areas people just get clean fill and build up the land for housing , and the wet land animals can take a hike
Yes, and when people do that, they also tend to get fined some quite large amounts of money for destroying the wetland.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM

22,769 posts, read 25,735,288 times
Quote:
I am wondering if this is some scam to land grab without actually paying for the land and also having the benefit of tax revenue from land.
It has to do mainly with water quality regulations.

Quote:
Also, this property backs up to State owned land. Also, this property is NOT on the coast. We have never had a foreclosure and have excellent credit but I am so beyond frustrated because I feel we are powerless and are being taken for complete suckers. We are older and have a home plus another vacant property in another area of Florida that we are going to sell ASAP before it suddenly becomes wetlands. I can guarantee we will NEVER buy vacant land again after this experience.
You're not suckers, you're just in a situation where the federal, state and local governments have a vaguely-defined but strictly-enforced patchwork of constantly-changing environmental rules that you didn't know about until after you made your purchase.

Essentially you've got encumbent landowners and developers who want to "build what they want, when they want, where they want."

and then you have environmentalists who want rules and regulations to prevent water pollution, promote healthy ecosystems, protect against hurricanes, etc., at the expense of "freedom."

the two sides are in a constant tug-of-war against each other, and so the end rules and regulations they set don't always make sense to the consumer.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 PM

18 posts, read 25,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You seem to be most upset about having to PAY someone to evaluate whether it's wetlands. You should really look into the potential cost of paying someone if you really still are considering building on the property. Possibly paying would be $2000 or less. Who knows, maybe it's cheaper than that.

You might find out that some of the property is wetlands and some isn't. Then you can find out the rules for building on the portion that isn't wetlands.

There are land planners/attorneys/engineeering firms that specialize in these issues. Talk to them to find out the steps needed and get them to give you an idea on what your costs might be for evaluation. You might get first step evaluation first to see if it's worth it to go forward with full blown documentation that meets the requirements for your county.

Maybe it's not as bad as it seems. Right now it's confusing because so many steps.

People in many areas of Florida also go through lots of steps/government agencies just to get boat docks approved/built. But there are firms that know all the steps involved. People hire these firms when they want boat docks. They don't give up and sell the land because they have to pay someone to evaluate/prove that a boat dock can be built.

One question for you...have you walked the property? Does it have trees? Do your feet get wet anywhere on the property? What kinds of plants are there? What is the terrain like .lower portions and other parts that are higher elevation? Did you get an elevation survey done when you purchased? What does the soil look like if you put some in your hand? Sandy or black mucky?

What part of Florida?
Thanks for the input. From what the County told me it would be extremely expensive..not just a few thousand dollars. They made it sound like it was going to be VERY costly to us and then we still would not be able to do anything with the property. It was all doom and gloom and lots of money out of pocket for nothing in the long run. They made it sound like it was going to be a complete waste of time and money. The property has lots of trees (oaks and pines mostly). The cleared areas of the property are not wet. It is part cleared and part wooded. The soil in the cleared area is gray dirt. It is in the middle of Florida near Ocala. At this point we do not plan to ever live in that county. We live and have a home in another part of Florida.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It has to do mainly with water quality regulations.

You're not suckers, you're just in a situation where the federal, state and local governments have a vaguely-defined but strictly-enforced patchwork of constantly-changing environmental rules that you didn't know about until after you made your purchase.

Essentially you've got encumbent landowners and developers who want to "build what they want, when they want, where they want."

and then you have environmentalists who want rules and regulations to prevent water pollution, promote healthy ecosystems, protect against hurricanes, etc., at the expense of "freedom."

the two sides are in a constant tug-of-war against each other, and so the end rules and regulations they set don't always make sense to the consumer.
I was thinking the same. This does make me very bitter toward Environmentalists. They want to protect and conserve but at only a cost to someone else. I was just thinking today that this is crazy because we bought the land with the intentions to build a nice home but we wanted to keep as much of the property as possible natural because we LOVE being in the woods, etc. We would have protected the fox, deer, etc. that utilize it. Now I see that Environmentalists want US to pay for the land, pay the taxes yet not be able to live there ourselves. Oh, but we can DONATE it to them. It does seem like a scam. We will no longer be donating our money to any of the causes we formerly supported.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You have not put it up for sale yet, so how would you know no one wants to buy it. Sheeeeeesh.
I would not want to buy land if I were told I could not use it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Hi OP,

I asked DH about things. Another poster is correct about the GIS mapping. If their software has a "hit" on your property, it is labeled a wetland and you have to have it delineated to see if that is the case before you build on it. If you wanted to do it just where the impact of house/driveway would be it would run around $2k. Chances are it is going to be as Florida is more stringent than Federal law regarding criteria to meet. There are 3 indicators and for Fed you have to meet all 3 before it is classified as a wetland. Florida however calls it a wetland if it meets 2.

As far as the mitigation banks, they typically aren't interested in small parcels. You could still check into it if you want to give it away though.

So a few questions. What changed from when you bought it to now? Was it dry then and wet now? If so, what is causing it to be wet now? A beaver dam, backed up ditch, etc?
Thank you for checking and responding. Nothing has changed except that GIS map. The property was dry, is dry. There is a cleared area and a wooded area. The cleared area is dry and gray sand with oaks and pine trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate