Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 PM

1,360 posts, read 997,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The HOA or not thing is irrelevant when you want the most desirable middle school (on paper) in Western Wake County.
In all honesty, we'd probably be just as happy with Salem Middle and paying $300,000 for new construction and no HOA. Even happier if we could find some land and build it ourselves.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 04-27-2016 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 PM

9,764 posts, read 15,707,398 times
In Governor's Club, if you are having construction done, and there is a port-a-potty on your land, it needs to be hidden - by a trellis or something similar.

Our HOA in Southern Village is pretty chill compared to what I'm reading here. We all leave our trash cans out 24/7. When my husband's cousin from Wakefield visited he commented on it. I didn't even know that was a thing to have to hide them. We have no curtain rule or garden rule either. Our fences do have to be real wood painted white or black wrought iron. I used to live in a non-HOA and I prefer that, but this one's okay.

My brother in his townhouse community in PA used to get notices for leaving their baby stroller on their front porch. And in my mom's 55-and-over active adult community in PA, the HOA has a list of what plants and trees they are allowed to plant.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,089,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
In all honesty, we'd probably be just as happy with Salem Middle and paying $300,000 for new construction and no HOA. Even happier if we could find some land and build it ourselves.
I cannot see that being a real possibility, either. I think your budget is rather low for this area for a new construction SFH.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,089,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
In Governor's Club, if you are having construction done, and there is a port-a-potty on your land, it needs to be hidden - by a trellis or something similar.

Our HOA in Southern Village is pretty chill compared to what I'm reading here. We all leave our trash cans out 24/7. When my husband's cousin from Wakefield visited he commented on it. I didn't even know that was a thing to have to hide them. We have no curtain rule or garden rule either. Our fences do have to be real wood painted white or black wrought iron. I used to live in a non-HOA and I prefer that, but this one's okay.

My brother in his townhouse community in PA used to get notices for leaving their baby stroller on their front porch. And in my mom's 55-and-over active adult community in PA, the HOA has a list of what plants and trees they are allowed to plant.
I don't even recall if we have a curtain rule. Or a garden one.

The trashcan thing we definitely have. When I lived in Wakefield years ago, we had that same rule and it was NOT one of the most expensive of all the subdivisions within Wakefield. The whole community had that rule.

So, it happens in neighborhoods of various price ranges.

The fence thing is interesting. I'd rather people did not paint fences, because they are less likely to maintain the paint job.

Wonder how that happened?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,866,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I didn't make the HOA guidelines. The builder did.

I don't really like seeing garbage cans so close to our property line. My neighbors have quite a roomy garage. Why you'd slam a couple of those big cans right beside a 600k dollar house in view of the street is beyond me. But, whatever. I dislike that they ignore the HOA guidelines. I dislike seeing those every time I pull into my driveway. Or out of it. But, I figure the HOA will cite them eventually. I'm not losing sleep over it.
Good grief. Perhaps I was talking about the people who made the 'hide your garbage cans!' rule and not you? If rules exist in a place, everyone who moves in agrees with them and should follow them. I just don't understand what is so unsightly about a well-maintained garbage can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Wait...sheets or towels in place of curtains? Or sheets and towels hanging on a line to dry?
This is the question I had. I've actually heard of neighborhoods where no clotheslines were allowed at all - backyard even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
There area few HOA rules where I am that I don't care for and am actively petitioning to have eliminated:

- No on-street parking by anyone at any time for any reason.

- No composting whatsoever.
Good luck getting rid of these! They are ridiculous. The one is environmentally intelligent and the other is simply impossible and totally community UN-friendly.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 2 days ago)

43,067 posts, read 76,604,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
There is no land on TMLS in DDMS assignment nodes.
There are two parcels on TMLS in Salem MS assignment nodes.
15.6 acres in Carolina Pines for $500,000
6.72 acres off Lewey Brook for $1.3 million.

But, there is land around with For Sale signs on it.
One parcel over on Holt Road. It is big and will be expensive, too.
But, that is often how you find that lot, driving around and maybe even knocking on a door.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,228,596 times
vulfpeck do you need to be in Cary? Maybe Durham or Chapel Hill would suit you better.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
vulfpeck do you need to be in Cary? Maybe Durham or Chapel Hill would suit you better.
We've been renting in Park Village off Davis Drive. I suppose it's not a dealbreaker, but my son's friends will all go to Davis or Salem Middle.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,150,897 times
I have the solution!

Buy your home in a nice upstanding neighborhood with a HOA that will help to maintain your home values.

If you really need a junky car on blocks or a clothesline or chickens, find yourself a small lot out in the country, put a barn on it and go crazy with it! Don't forget the gazing balls and plant some corn! Enjoy!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have the solution!

Buy your home in a nice upstanding neighborhood with a HOA that will help to maintain your home values.

If you really need a junky car on blocks or a clothesline or chickens, find yourself a small lot out in the country, put a barn on it and go crazy with it! Don't forget the gazing balls and plant some corn! Enjoy!
I don't want to junk it up, but I'd like to have the possibility of renovating or adding on without worrying about a council of busy-body neighbors with subjective stylistic rules getting in the way. Design and permitting is tangled up enough.

I can't be the only person in Cary that wants that possibility without paying $600,000 up front...

Last edited by vulfpeck; 04-27-2016 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate