Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

There are many HOAs in name only. They might have a sign and occasionally neighbors will get together and clean up the shrubbery around it. But there are no dues, no rules... They seem to do just fine. Properties look decent and sell well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
I think my HOA is nice. They even let us plant things (with permission) which surprised me, being a condo complex.

And if one is breaking a rule (like more than two pets, dogs too big) they look the other way as much as they can.

If there are problems or too any complaints they sometimes have to do something.

And they never come and say 'your outdoor rug is 3 inches too far to the left' like one place I lived omg they were nuts.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:10 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
My sister has to ask her neighbor's permission to have work done. She actually has to walk over, knock on the door, tell them what she is having done (windows replaced, painted, etc.) and ASK PERMISSION. Then the neighbor has to sign a permission slip that gives her their permission.

It's ridiculous. This is in NJ.
Nonsense.

How about posting the bylaws or NJ state law you're claiming.

It's more like she has to inform the condo board who has to give the neighbor notice that they'll be disturbed for a certain period of time.

Replacing WINDOWS is not the same "work" as painting, either.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I did a homecare case years ago where homeowners were limited to two pets. Owner wanted a third cat .... not sure if she was going to appeal to the HOA or what. The thing is, her cats never went outside! who was going to be disturbed by a third cat?

I love the irony of that. What was the home care for? Were you cleaning out her litter boxes? Who was?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
One condo complex I have looked at is gated. You are supposed to call the license plate of any visitor or worker down to the gate before they can enter. 24hrs before.
Why would you bother looking at a gated guarded community if you don't want any security enforced?

And don't imply you MUST give 24 hrs notice because that's not how it works.

You're seriously posting this as a "worst invasive HOA rule"? REALLY?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
I'm pro HOA. My search is ideally for a 55+ active community in the PNW- the New York Times taught me that the conversational term for it is now "Cascadia". Several, all with HOA's, have appealed to me very much. I want the amenities: book clubs, wine tastings, yoga, nature trails, a clubhouse with a library, etc. without having to get in my car and drive somewhere.

Nice looking landscaping maintained by someone else, no children; all are attractive to me.

My answer to the OP's question:

A limit of two pets per home- any combination of dogs, cats, birds, fish...

I'm that cat lady referred to in post #318. There are three, all indoor, all neutered. As I've asked on another forum, "what are they going to do, meow too loudly?"

An aquarium, in a one level SFH is prohibited?
Perhaps. How often do you clean out your litterboxes? How many do you have? You don't think fish are pets? You don't think that if they omitted fish then some dope wouldn't create an indoor pet shop filled with fish tanks to the ceiling and extravagant plumbing etc.? Think again.

WHO pays the water in this community? Most times it's the ASSOCIATION.

You're LUCKY they allow birds. I would prohibit them. As a former pet shop owner and current pet sitter, I can GUARANTEE you they can be the noisiest.

I work for one couple right now in a 3,000 sf single house that cost them $450,000 and every afternoon the neighbor's Macaw is out on the lanai screaming and having fun.

Have you ever LIVED with a Macaw?

Again we have someone who "wants all the amenities" but not the bylaws governing for the COMMON GOOD and fiduciary responsibilities of the community.

The fact that you believe this is the "most invasive HOA rule" makes you ineligible as a HOA member.

And Cascadia is a PNW social movement. Nothing to do with a traditional HOA.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:53 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Or a fourth or a fifth or twenty, thirty cats?

At what points do you say enough cats?

Or does it make any difference as long as they are all inside pets?
This is why there are limits. Some people hoard pets. We have a 2 pet limit and it came in handy when a crazy cat lady (who already had 2 indoor cats) began feeding feral cats drawing more and more of them to our neighborhood. At one point, she was proudly proclaiming she was feeding 6 ferals as reported by the neighbors who complained about the cats being on their patios and crapping in their flower beds. HOA rules say, if you feed them you own them. It was easy send her a violation letter to get her to stop and the feral cats went away.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I did a homecare case years ago where homeowners were limited to two pets. Owner wanted a third cat .... not sure if she was going to appeal to the HOA or what. The thing is, her cats never went outside! who was going to be disturbed by a third cat?
I live in a townhouse, so I can understand why we're limited to two pets. I only have one cat now, so if I decide that I want 10 more in 40 years or so when I'm an old lady, I will just have to move to a larger house with no HOA.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nonsense.

How about posting the bylaws or NJ state law you're claiming.

It's more like she has to inform the condo board who has to give the neighbor notice that they'll be disturbed for a certain period of time.

Replacing WINDOWS is not the same "work" as painting, either.
My neighbor serves on our HOA Board and is in charge of architecture. If I want to make any structural changes to my house (this does include windows b/c we have really strict rules about the types of windows we can install); I would have to knock on my neighbor's door and ask her permission and signature.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:47 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My neighbor serves on our HOA Board and is in charge of architecture. If I want to make any structural changes to my house (this does include windows b/c we have really strict rules about the types of windows we can install); I would have to knock on my neighbor's door and ask her permission and signature.
If that's what your CC&Rs require and she heads the committee, makes sense. She's not just some random neighbor, she's on the Board and is required to follow the CC&Rs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate