Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:25 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

Move to Frankfort, KY.
Very affordable.
Large selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think you made the right choice to walk away. I've seen people try to force the square peg in the round hole and it just doesn't work.
Yep.

In my experience, those "blah" feelings turn to strong dislike after you sign at closing. It's the first step of buyers remorse.

Just like with clothes, if you don't like it in the fitting room, you won't love it when you get it home.

It's hard, but you can get back out there and try again. Now you are experienced

Old 05-01-2016, 08:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
We tried last year to fit the square peg into the round hole and finally walked away from what was a great yard and a house with too many issues. The day after I told my realtor we were done with the search, would rent another year, save more money and try again a great place came on the market, we put in a full price offer, had 2 people right behind us with backups but got a great house with a good yard.

Your house is out there, don't give up.

Cat urine is a terrible smell to get rid of, not sure they could ever do a good enough job.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
NO, you were right to pass!!! Sorry your friends are ....well wrong I'll just say.

This is what I hear:

Your wonderful and very practical late father's voice in your ear:

"Thank goodness you listened to me. That house was not for you".

As a pet sitter I can tell you that NO WAY would I have taken that house with the cat situation. Cat urine is one of the worst if not THE worst thing. I don't even know what "encapsulating it" means and I don't even like the sound of that. Just putting a barrier so nobody smells it? Just great.

Dogs can smell cancer, you think other cats/animals won't smell the cat haven? LOL.

And WHY didn't the sellers know in advance? That's some monkey business. It's MAY. Was the house empty for a long time and nobody ran the heat? That in itself is a bad sign.

And I NEVER would have trusted them to fix it properly. Sounds to me like they found some tricky deal.

Now I have to say, I'm not a fan of 1930's - charm or no charm given all the drama I've seen working in other people's homes but to each their own. I imagine money pit when I think of that.

Hopefully you'll find another place that will give you positive vibes AND where the sellers did their maintenance and disclosures etc properly.

Aside from the challenge of needing a specific school district or whatever...it's just a building and a lot. The fact that you loved your rentals tells me you're not unreasonable. Remember that.

Good luck!

Here in FL, it's the slow selling time because everyone wants to be in their places before school starts in August. So there's that. Your daughter at 7 years old has no idea what living with cat urine would have been like. She'll get over it, really. My son was seven when I bought my first house. New construction off a builder's site plan.

Guess what - I lost almost all my back yard with the grading they did and my 7 year old who was SO EXCITED for this house first words out of his mouth were: "MOM I can't play soccer UPHILL!".

He was RIGHT. Talk about buyer's remorse!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:40 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times
Purchasing a house is definitely emotional - learned early in this career to SHUT MY MOUTH and not give my own PERSONAL opinion about a house because it has to FEEL RIGHT for the potential buyer - it's not me who has to see myself living there it's them!!! Didn't read your story in full but OMG you are struggling - it shouldn't be so difficult it should be excitement that you feel and that you can't wait to get into your house - so KILL THE DEAL! so many houses for you to choose DON'T COMPROMISE -

Old 05-02-2016, 05:20 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
I totally understand where you are coming from. Back in February I made an offer on a home that I really didn't like all that much. I was pushed into it by my husband, my dad and my real estate agent. I had a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach because it was not a house I could see myself living in for any amount of time. The location was the only plus on my list, and that location was brought down by the actual neighborhood (this was a rural area, somewhat near the largest city in the area). Thankfully, since the offer was placed the first day the house was on the market, the sellers dragged their feet, I guess figuring they might get another offer that was better. They came back at $1k higher than we had offered and I was able to withdraw my offer.

We turned around the same day and put an offer in on a house that felt "right" to me. It was accepted and we closed on that house in March. When we put that offer in, I didn't have that terrible feeling in my stomach that I did with the first house. I knew it was the right place and that I could be very, very happy there. So I totally understand where you are coming from.

The right place will come along. The house itself may not be perfect, but it will be perfect to you.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:38 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Buying a house is the most important purchase you will make. It HAS to feel good, not the way you felt about it. You should be excited and happy about getting moved in and playing in your new digs.

Not the way you felt.

Keep looking, you'll find a house that you like. Theres millions of them out there.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
If it's not meant to be it's for a reason and you will find a home that is meant for you, good luck. I know it seems bad at the time but it will work out in the end.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Personally, I think a home purchase is a pretty emotional one to start with, but it's tempered by practicalities. If you don't love the home to begin with, the practical issues become irritants, rather than problems to be solved to get to the joy of owning the home.

Basically, your gut is telling you that this is not the house. Your 7 year old has an idealized version of "home", so while some consideration should be given, it should not drive your search.

The right house will appear. I promise.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Move to Frankfort, KY.
Very affordable.
Large selection.
Lived there. Terrible schools and unless you work for the state not much in job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate