Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:59 AM

273 posts, read 1,754,946 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of choosing a realtor to sell my home. There's one I would choose over all the others - except for one thing. She says she won't put info sheets out by the sign, but only on the inside of the home. She says this is because she wants people to call her for information so she can "track" them. There will be a 1-800 number on the sign which people can call while they are sitting in their cars on the street.

In my area, info sheets are normal. When I was looking, I would drive by all the houses I liked on the internet and pick up info sheets before dragging my agent out to see the inside. Saved a lot of time for both of us.

Does anybody else do this? I can see how it might benefit the agent, but what is the benefit to the home seller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I would not choose a realtor with that kind of attitude about info sheets.

Nothing irritates me more than having no info sheet. I don't want to call and talk to anyone - I don't want to talk to a receptionist, leave my number or be bothered with realtors contacting me unless I know first if the house interests me and fits my pocketbook.

Your potatential realtor seems to want to put herself and her needs first - not the needs of potential buyers.

I also find poor info sheets an irritation. I want to know the price, square footage, how many beds and bathrooms and which floors those things are located on, recent updates, taxes and good, school info, clear and large pictures (especially of the kitchen, at least one bathroom and family/living rooms), the MLS # and good contact info in case I decide I'm interested. If all those things can't fit onto an info sheet, then a clearly marked website address should appear on the flyer so that I can obtain additional information so that I can determine on my own whether the house is something I'm interested in.

Bottom line is I want to decide if I want to get in touch with the realtor, not be forced to do so.

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-14-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times
I definitely have seen it done and I hate it! I recently purchased a home, and I remember during househunting, driving by houses and hoping they would have a info sheet-and they didn't. I hated having to call and find out info, because usually it would take 10-15 min only to find out it wasn't in my price range. It was a huge hassle. After doing that 1 time, I stopped even looking at houses that didn't have a sheet if I drove by. That's just my opinion. I like to have the sheet, see the price and see if it has what I'm looking for-UPFRONT. I also didn't like if they had the sheet and no price, so you still had to call-UGH! That's just me though, some people may love it. I'm curious as well to see what people have to say! If I was you, I would definitely put out a sheet.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I have to agree with the others. I won't waste the time on a house I don't know anything about. Not only do I want the info sheet, I want it to have REAL info- size of the rooms, total sf of the house, price, etc. It is appalling how many of those sheets have no real info, but are a great advertisement for the listing agent even including a lovely photo of the agent.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I have to agree with the others. I won't waste the time on a house I don't know anything about. Not only do I want the info sheet, I want it to have REAL info- size of the rooms, total sf of the house, price, etc. It is appalling how many of those sheets have no real info, but are a great advertisement for the listing agent even including a lovely photo of the agent.

LOL - so true

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
to the OP------don't list with that realtor.

I agree with all the posters above.

Another irritating thing is to go on a realtors web site and not be able to view their listings unless you give out your contact info (e-mail and phone #)

Old 02-14-2008, 08:58 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
I hate it too, it's actually one of my pet peeves especially if they have a info tube out empty!!!

Believe it or not, there is a logic behind that madness. Some Realtors feel that a flyer cannot express everything about a home. Also, that the buyers may not like one thing on the flyer and decide to pass on that house.

You have no idea how many times buyers say that they only want a house with an island in the kitchen and that the yard has to be huge and that they want a separate shower from the tub. But when they see the house, there are other feature they like about it and decide to compromise on that island or the separate shower or the huge yard. They end up buying it!!!

I think that if you want a flyer, just insist on it, but may be limit the information on it enough to entice the potential buyers to want to come inside, such as the price, bedrooms/baths.

As long as you are getting the traffic and it's showing, you should be happy.

Naima

Old 02-14-2008, 09:08 AM

82 posts, read 300,447 times
The Realtor is working for you, if you want flyers in a tube I want certainly persist that she put one out. Who is going to see a flyer inside your home, unless brought there by another realtor or you realtor.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Believe it or not, there is a logic behind that madness. Some Realtors feel that a flyer cannot express everything about a home. Also, that the buyers may not like one thing on the flyer and decide to pass on that house.Naima

I agree and I think most people realize that it is realtor maniupulation when this is done. This post should be posted on the professional realtor forum - maybe some of them could explain why they think this "logic" works. I really view the quality of information a realtor puts out as a direct indication of how honest and hardworking that realtor is. Being manipulative and making me jump through hoops only serves to irritate me.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
surpressing information is not a good idea when we are in the "information era"

not to mention a "slumping home sales era"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate