Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,104 times

Advertisements

American Home Shield came through after I found a good email to take the issues to them. Replacing my washing machine so that covers 50% of my annual premium in one issue alone! I'll be staying with them but I'll keep the other suggestions in mind for future issues. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:35 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,897,934 times
good thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:10 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Just like car extended warranties many are not worth the paper they are written on. Our buyer requested one so we got one for $350 from some unknown company our realtor recommended. I'm sure that will work out well for them...

Old 07-13-2016, 03:33 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Purching addition warrenties, be it for the home, car, or TV, is never a smart move. This is not news.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:57 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
Quote:
I would not purchase a home warranty, unless I was selling a house and an unsophisticated buyer thought it was a positive.
Quote:
My deductible is $125. My out-of-pocket was $250. I did not complain, but the double deductible was because each unit is considered a separate problem. My annual premium is $420. So I am all in last year for $670 on that property and the parts and labor on one problem was $1368.
I was going to ask…how much do these warranties cost….because as a SELLER, I was wondering should I just get one to offer with the sale of the house…..

But as a BUYER…1) I don't think home warranties are "worth it"….2) personally, it would make ME wonder, "Uh, mr and mrs. Seller, what to you expect will go wrong right after you sell and ride off into the sunset, why does this house need a warranty, what about it is so bad you're trying to cover your arse about it.

Also, do MOST warranties dictate which contractors or service providers you use? Because I like to use who I want to use. I have my own go to people who I trust and know do good work. So I might by a hour with a warranty and never call them, because I don't' want to deal with their BS.

Also as for the cost, all it takes is going a couple of years, and even if you need something repaired or replaced you might be able to get the job done for less that the premium on the warranty. I had a major retailers appliance warranties for a few years. Three years worth of warranties and I more than paid for a NEW appliance. And the appliances were new so they were under SOME kinds of warranty anyway for a while I think. And how many appliances really break down in less that even FIVE years really. Every appliance I've EVER had has lasted more than 15 years before ANY trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate