Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:29 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,901,771 times

Advertisements

My wife and had occasion to see a house that we assumed was being sold by a divorced couple. There were the telltale signs of only mens clothes in one closet and the other was empty. The house had been on the market for almost a year. We looked in the garage and there was a nice 50k car in it. It was a really nice house and we couldn't understand why it hadn't been sold. On our second visit we saw a 125k car next to the 50k car in the garage. It looks like the man does not need the money and is insisting on an unrealistic price either to spite his ex or he wants to stay in the house.

My 1st wife dumped me and moved out, leaving me in the house (which I couldn't wait to move out of). I had to stay in the house for 18 months until we finally sold it and took a huge loss. It was a terrible time for me with all the memories.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Last edited by Thundarr457; 05-13-2016 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:04 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Or maybe he was a lifelong bachelor who enjoys expensive cars more than having enough clothes to fill two closets?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM

318 posts, read 372,602 times
My first thought was with "Girl's". Single guys with money buy and live in houses too.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,938,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
My wife and had occasion to see a house that we assumed was being sold by a divorced couple. There were the telltale signs of only mens clothes in one closet and the other was empty. The house had been on the market for almost a year. We looked in the garage and there was a nice 50k car in it. It was a really nice house and we couldn't understand why it hadn't been sold. On our second visit we saw a 125k car next to the 50k car in the garage. It looks like the man does not need the money and is insisting on an unrealistic price either to spite his ex or he wants to stay in the house.

My 1st wife dumped me and moved out, leaving me in the house (which I couldn't wait to move out of). I had to stay in the house for 18 months until we finally sold it and took a huge loss. It was a terrible time for me with all the memories.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
When I divorced, I gave him the house. So, all I had to do was give him my interest in the home via some sort of notarized document. It was not a big deal and he didn't really gain much from getting the house since most of the sales price went back to the mortgage company at the time of sale.

As for just one person living there, I think that especially among older people there are quite a few who prefer to live alone and do not wish to marry or remarry. I don't think that means anything about whether you will get a good deal on the house or not. But then, if you were told that the sellers were a divorced couple then I guess they are a divorced couple. I am not sure whether that would impact the sale, though. Most divorced couples I know don't get the house sold any faster than anybody else.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM

245 posts, read 291,631 times
could also be a widower that knows it is time to move on by selling the home but isnt 100% ready to let go of the memories.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
On our second visit we saw a 125k car next to the 50k car in the garage. It looks like the man does not need the money and is insisting on an unrealistic price either to spite his ex or he wants to stay in the house.
Many people I know with nice cars, boats, etc dont have a penny to their name. They have mortgaged the house to the max and spent all the money on toys.

Its possible their unrealistic price might be what they owe and they are just trying to break even. You never really know.

Make an offer.... if they take it, great, if not, move on.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:36 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Trying to figure out what the purpose of speculating on marital status, vehicles, clothes in closets, etc. has to do w/anything?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:30 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Who cares. Was the price on the house OK with you? If so, make an offer and buy it. Whatever the seller's problems might be, they don't go with the house, they leave with the seller. You don't have to adopt him or sign a contract to be his friend.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Many people I know with nice cars, boats, etc dont have a penny to their name. They have mortgaged the house to the max and spent all the money on toys.
Really? You know many people who have no money?

I always wonder about posts such as this one. I don't even know the personal financial situation of my closest and dearest friend who I've known for 30+ years, and yet you claim to know it about many people. How does one broach such a subject in polite conversation?

You: Hey, good buddy! I see that you have all of these fine toys and I was wondering how you could possibly afford them.

Him: Oh, I've mortgaged my house to the max and I don't have a penny to my name!

Is that how it goes?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:50 AM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Buy low...but lower is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to figure out what the purpose of speculating on marital status... has to do w/anything?
Well, my personal experience is: as a buyer, you can get a better deal.
With divorce, both parties usually just want to unload the property and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate