Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

An real estate agent can be very sly about pictures and still be honest.

I was looking online at a house in rural NE Alabama.
In my price range, location good, beautiful lawn.

At the last of 8 photos there was one of the backyard that also included the neighbor's nice grass pasture and a huge chicken barn off in the distance.

I scratched that house and said a "thank you" as I exited that site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 07:03 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I am usually looking at coops where I live and what bothers me is when they call it a two bedroom when it's really a junior four. And that happens a lot.
What is a junior four?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
LR, kitchen, 1 bedroom, another room that is not a bedroom: it is a dining room or office probably

Old 08-16-2016, 05:12 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I just looked at one house, my agent and I discovered a whole second kitchen that was not shown in the listing. Really weird house.
Kosher

Old 08-16-2016, 05:24 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I have spent a few weeks looking a realtor dot com. We are considering a move to another state.

One of my pet peeves is this: I mark my search preferences to ONLY look at single family homes. SO SO SO many listings that are townhouses are listed as "single family". It is a lie. If I wanted to include townhouses in my search, I would have done so. We have no interest in anything other than a single family house. It infuriates me and I will never..EVER...even look at those listings. I want to send a message to those realtors who post them and say to STOP including them in single family homes.

All I as is honesty in listings. Is that too much to ask?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM

29 posts, read 23,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You could have saved yourself the trip if you looked it up on bing maps, or google maps, or street view, before getting so involved. Only takes 1 second to look it up. Only blame yourself for not researching it first.
It must've been your listing. lol

Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have spent a few weeks looking a realtor dot com. We are considering a move to another state.

One of my pet peeves is this: I mark my search preferences to ONLY look at single family homes. SO SO SO many listings that are townhouses are listed as "single family". It is a lie. If I wanted to include townhouses in my search, I would have done so. We have no interest in anything other than a single family house. It infuriates me and I will never..EVER...even look at those listings. I want to send a message to those realtors who post them and say to STOP including them in single family homes.

But, townhomes ARE SFRs. They are "Attached," not "Detached," but they are still SFRs.
They are deeded and financed like SFRs.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 AM

455 posts, read 463,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

P.S. You would think that the real estate agents would complain just as much about misleading ads! I mean, it not wasting only the potential buyers' time, but that of the agents, also.
Oh we do. In many cases we take the bullet for clients by previewing many homes to find the 3 or 4 they are most likely to find interesting. Nothing like driving 30 miles through traffic to look at a home that looks nothing like its description on the MLS. (Note to Mods: where is the sarcasm font?)

And we continuously complain, er rant, er politely point out these when we see them. The most egregious will have complaints filed against them with the local Board of Realtors. More often the listing agent will receive a hot email from the buyer's agent, which is frequently ignored. And more often than that, we rant on Realtor forums like this in Facebook and on other sites. It doesn't do much good, other than educating newer Realtors, but it makes us feel better.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

A townhouse is a single family home.
In NYC, if you search single family house, you'll get semi-detached. Most are single family homes but they are connected by one full wall (sometimes 2) to another dwelling.

If you want better searching, use a local realtor's website that has full access to the mls. It's more reliable and current.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
I find fish eye or stretch photos to be mis leading and an obvious attempt to make a small room look bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate