Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm going to suggest that the only "remarks" that are laughably FOS are:

1. "Won't last!" and it's been on the market for 30+ days
2. "Completely updated" (or similar) when they have indeed NOT renewed the entire house, just interior surfaces.

"A picture tells a thousand words" still holds true. But I promise all that the remarks do also play a role in selling the home.
Yeah I love when it is "Completely updated" but you can clearly see in the pictures of the circa 1920 home that the surfaces and paint look brand new but the outlets/electrical are sticking out/incomplete and still look exactly the same. The heating and plumbing might not be so hot either if the electrical looks pretty bad. It's not that hard/expensive to slap on some paint, cheap granite, and make a place look pretty, but digging into old walls to update the pipes, wiring, furnace, etc. can be a huge undertaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:08 AM

117 posts, read 116,907 times
Another one that's starting to annoy me only because I'm seeing it so much is the "Not a drive by!" (Always with at least one ! ) I know this has been brought up before, but I fear I may develop a twitch every time I see it in an ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yeah I love when it is "Completely updated" but you can clearly see in the pictures of the circa 1920 home that the surfaces and paint look brand new but the outlets/electrical are sticking out/incomplete and still look exactly the same. The heating and plumbing might not be so hot either if the electrical looks pretty bad. It's not that hard/expensive to slap on some paint, cheap granite, and make a place look pretty, but digging into old walls to update the pipes, wiring, furnace, etc. can be a huge undertaking.
Updated to many, sadly, is about whatever the latest interior design trends are, or because vinyl siding got slapped over problems.

One rental we lived in down in NC did not have a GROUND to the electric. We didn't know about this until there was storm where we lost all our electronics--the fried kind of lost. The poor surge protectors never had a chance. We were shocked (pun intended) to find out that such homes (1901 build) were actually grandfathered in that town. So long as no major upgrades were made, they were not required by law to apply a ground!

One thing I forgot to check on our current rental (which we do love) is that we are still on fuses here--not circuit breakers. Since we moved (and I've been perusing the real estate listings) I'm finding this is actually very common here.

One good thing about having rented in many places over the years is I have a very long list of things to check when we buy. You can safely bet we'll be paying for a full inspection.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Moist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
WhhhhaaaaaT?
Cargoman, I take it you've never seen the pilot episode of "Dead Like Me"? lol

Watch it, it's great, and you'll understand right away...

Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,011,249 times

Moist, courtesy of Georgia's ghost, lol

Old 07-05-2016, 07:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,797,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Cargoman, I take it you've never seen the pilot episode of "Dead Like Me"? lol

Watch it, it's great, and you'll understand right away...
Will do

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The listing description makes a big difference for me. If the agent won't even bother writing a good description using correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, how do I know he/she will do a proper home sale and use all the correct legal paperwork? I'm not buying an $8 t-shirt; I'm buying a $200,000+ house. Taking 20 minutes out of his/her life to write a good description speaks volumes about an agent to me.
I agree. Misspelled words, poor grammar, and random capitalization bother me. And, the thing is, it will not bother others who read it (and don't care about grammar either way) if the words ARE all spelled properly and proper grammar and punctuation are used, so why not just do that?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:53 AM

14 posts, read 12,616 times
"1880 Sq Ft Ranch,new wood floors and new carpeting, fresh paint, Counrty kitchen with Family roon off kitchen.Concreted crawl,.9 acre Fenced area in back yard, Deck19X15 off 3 seasons room, Granite Tops bathrooms.Formal Dinning Room.Master bath. Heated garage."

Spelling counts.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom84 View Post
"1880 Sq Ft Ranch,new wood floors and new carpeting, fresh paint, Counrty kitchen with Family roon off kitchen.Concreted crawl,.9 acre Fenced area in back yard, Deck19X15 off 3 seasons room, Granite Tops bathrooms.Formal Dinning Room.Master bath. Heated garage."

Spelling counts.
where is that, I've always wanted a family roon off my Counrty kitchen!

Old 07-07-2016, 04:02 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
"Close to shopping". Usually means on a busy road, or in a mixed commercial/residential area of town.
It does. But, given that I come from a large city, that's a plus for me. I love being able to walk a few blocks to the store, etc. I could see how others wouldn't want that, though.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:05 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
When the price is lowered - and not for the first time - but the agent doesn't bother to change to text reading "Must see!! This one won't last!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate