Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 12,619 times

Advertisements

I'm in negotiations with a house which has only the front siding made of EIFS (Exterior Insulating Finishing system) and the rest of vinyl. I have read online so many issues related to water damage that it has scare me a little bit.

If anyone familiar with this material can leave some feedback or recommendation it will e much appreciated.

The EIFS was probably installed around 2010 and it has some small damages probably from woodpeckers. The damage to repair it is only a couple of hundreds but should I get an EIFS inspector before purchasing? And do you recommend anyone?

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,089 times
The vast majority of EIFS issues are related to installations in the 1980s to mid 1990s. Once the shortcomings were identified, standards were developed to help mitigate the moisture entrapment issues. If properly installed AND maintained, there shouldn't be any major concerns. However, that's a HUGE 'if'. Commercial installations got a lot better, but it's really hard to say that residential installations did. It depends on the diligence and skill of the installers, and the close attention to maintenance and repairs by the homeowner.
The only way to know for sure is to open up the EIFS and/or interior of the exterior walls and visually inspect.
For me personally, there's too many unknowns to feel comfortable.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 PM

71 posts, read 80,606 times
I would most definitely have a certified EIFS inspector go over it, not just a home inspector. After the home is inspected, you can have any repairs needed complete and then have a warranty issued. This is the only way I would buy a home with EIFS (and I'm not sure I'd buy one in Ohio) and it is what I recommend to my clients.
To find an inspector, you'll probably need to ask your agent. I have one in Cincinnati but can't help otherwise :-)

Old 06-02-2016, 12:24 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ.Jimenez View Post
I'm in negotiations with a house which has only the front siding made of EIFS (Exterior Insulating Finishing system) and the rest of vinyl. I have read online so many issues related to water damage that it has scare me a little bit.

If anyone familiar with this material can leave some feedback or recommendation it will e much appreciated.

The EIFS was probably installed around 2010 and it has some small damages probably from woodpeckers. The damage to repair it is only a couple of hundreds but should I get an EIFS inspector before purchasing? And do you recommend anyone?

Thanks,

Chris

I wouldn't, but I live in Florida. It just seems like it can hide a lot. I don't think I would buy EIFS anywhere. It would seem flimsy to me, and I have lived through too many hurricanes.

I guess it depends on where you are.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Thx but I'm located in New Jersey

Old 06-02-2016, 08:43 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Personally, I would not own one. However, I have inspected hundreds of homes with EIFS, and some do not appear to have any problems.
If you really love the house, get an EIFS expert to go over it. Based on their inspection, it may need repairs.
Keep in mind that with EIFS homes, you have to be vigilant when it comes to the junctions with other materials, mostly door and windows. You will need periodic inspections and maintenance.
All things being equal, I would pick a non EIFS house, but thats just me.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:51 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,263,106 times
We have the West side of our home covered with EIFS. House built mid 90's.
No problems.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Yes and No

I would in Denver.
I would never in 08861.
We renovated our former house in 1987 and installed EIFS. It was in great condition when we sold in 2011.

Why did we do it?
Because there aren't many other ways to insulate a 1926 brick bungalow.
You can get a lot of shadow lines for zero marginal cost.

What made it successful?
1. Dry climate in Denver.
2. Large (1926 Craftsman style) overhangs. So, no water penetration possibility.
3. Expert installation.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate