Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,934,642 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a new home owner. The house I bought was a flip with lovely landscaping done. My house is next to a vacant lot, which according to the neighbours has been neglected for over 10 years. The vacant lot owner has recently got in touch with me to notify me that my property is encroaching based on the survey he had done. He plans to build a two story house later this year. He showed me a topographic map of the encroachments. My back yard and a foot of my driveway are encroaching. He says my garage is right on the property line and my driveway/fence flares out onto "his" but if I build a fence right there then it will be hard for me to get out of my car, it's already a bit of a squeeze at times. My agent, lender and title company were not aware of the encroachments. I filled a claim with the title company, which will take 10 days for correspondence. I got a few survey quotes and the cost is $1,750. I cannot afford to pay that just to find out that the vacant lot owner was right.

I did speak to a few real estate attorney's and they advised me to get in touch with the title company first. They mentioned there are laws that say if the encroachment has been over a certain amount of time you can claim it as yours.

I wanted to post in this forum to hear what you all think of this situation? Please keep in mind that I have limited funds :/.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:06 PM

11,821 posts, read 34,326,708 times
Tell him you would like to be good neighbors, but you do not believe him. Then contact the title company.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Tell him you would like to be good neighbors, but you do not believe him. Then contact the title company.
He's not even going to be my neighbour. He's going to build the house and sell it. That's what he does.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:23 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,574,341 times
You didn't get even a simple plat map with your purchase ? Not as good as a survey but it can be a start. It may show you own further onto his.

The previous owner is no help?

How about when the landscaping was done. No survey done then?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,696,738 times
It may be different in your state but here we need to have a survey before the new title insurance policy is issued. I can't imagine how a title insurer would issue a policy without this being done. Hopefully, the insurer will dig back into the records and find a recorded permanent easement if the other owner is right.

Please post back here once you've heard back from your title insurer.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 AM

8,660 posts, read 22,832,313 times
Please say you got title insurance. They will likely handle the issue for you.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,635,699 times
The title company should know what it was that they were insuring -- as SmartMoney said, I hope you did purchase the owner's title insurance, and didn't just buy the title insurance required by a lender.

Have you seen evidence that a surveyor has been out there? Little flags in the ground, etc.? Has your neighbor shared a copy of the survey? Or is he just going by a Google satellite photo and approximate property lines? Topographic maps are interesting, but hardly a survey.

Meanwhile, if you don't have a survey, get in touch with the people who flipped your house -- I'm betting they have a copy of a survey, especially if they were doing landscaping, new driveway, etc.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You didn't get even a simple plat map with your purchase ? Not as good as a survey but it can be a start. It may show you own further onto his.

The previous owner is no help?

How about when the landscaping was done. No survey done then?
I have a plat map but it's not very detailed.

The previous owner was a flipper who didn't care as much. They didn't do a survey for anything.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Please say you got title insurance. They will likely handle the issue for you.
Yes I have insurance. I did state that I filed a claim with them.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The title company should know what it was that they were insuring -- as SmartMoney said, I hope you did purchase the owner's title insurance, and didn't just buy the title insurance required by a lender.

Have you seen evidence that a surveyor has been out there? Little flags in the ground, etc.? Has your neighbor shared a copy of the survey? Or is he just going by a Google satellite photo and approximate property lines? Topographic maps are interesting, but hardly a survey.

Meanwhile, if you don't have a survey, get in touch with the people who flipped your house -- I'm betting they have a copy of a survey, especially if they were doing landscaping, new driveway, etc.
Yes I have insurance, I did mention I filed a claim with the title company.

I have been in touch with the flippers and they don't have any surveys.

There's no evidence and I've asked to see the survey (via email) and he hasn't gotten back to me yet. When we met, he simply got out a measuring tape and measured my property to show me how it crosses the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate