Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:14 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

OK, it feels like 2006 all over again

Our neighborhood is hot, however, many of the homes never make it to the MLS. I posted here months ago how one of my siblings had a plan for us to move into where she lives (same community; attached townhome - it has stairs - would be an issue) so I felt everyone knew how we felt.

My other sibling was on board with me. However, just this morning, she gets a call from a dear friend that their children are looking in my neighborhood, can't find anything and are willing to pay XXX.

She gets all excited and mentions our home which is not on the market but needs work which we were planning to do later this year. Kind of one of the plans we had.

So, my sib is like "Well, then you would not have to do any of the work, take the money, etc"

It's kind of like being in a relationship - my head is saying one thing (be practical) but my heart is saying another (we love the home, neighborhood and feel we are not ready).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Not doing the work and having someone meet your pricepoint is fantastic!
Personally, I would make it happen.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Smile Here's the question - where to go???

OK, we're still self employed with 3 dogs (1 large) and we would want a neighborhood just like the one we are in.

My husband is not a condo guy. Off the table. Will not even discuss it. He was like that 30 years ago also so that is not a new thing.

Anyone faced with this?

Regret your decision?

Note: We would consider leaving the area, maybe moving north 30 minutes even but my FIL is a great concern and he's an hour from us now. He is 93.

Ugh, timing.....

Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
If you're not ready -- you're not ready.
I'd think long and hard before I let someone push me into something I wasn't ready for.
The stress alone of rushing to find a place -- and picking some place without all the time I'd want to process the ramifications of the decisions…..wouldn't be worth it. Life is too short.

There'll be another buyer when you're ready.

OR…..is the couple (the children of friends) willing to wait for your house until YOU'RE ready? WIll the wait six months? a year? if they know the house is theirs. They don't have to keep looking.

You say you were going to do some work on the house "later this year" -- well was that set in stone, or could "later this year" have turned into …."oh we'll just wait until spring."….and when exactly were you planing to put the house on the market Spring 2017 in less than a year…or….."in the next year or so."

As I said it comes down to how ready are YOU…..for the move.
If you're not, you're not. Is the money worth making a move you're not ready for, or sure about? WILL it have been worth it, if it turns out -- that in your haste -- you pick a place you end up regretting you bought….THOUGHT you'd like -- but….turns out, not so much. WORST CASE SCENARIO: suppose you had to move twice….will the money have been worth it. IF SO, then heck yeah go for it….if not…..

But IF you're the grab the money and run…and all other things will work themselves out….che sera sera-type..and the money is THAT CRAZY GOOD???? Well then, maybe it won't be so stressful….or you'll be well compensation for the stress. let put it that way
How CRAZY GOOD would the money have to be to get you to move NOW??

Last edited by selhars; 06-06-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Smile Just told my husband

He said the same thing that was my first thought -

"Where would we go?"

So, no to this one.

First home we ever both loved.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Bette, I wouldn't leave until I was ready if I were you. You love the house, the neighborhood, the area. It's not easy to find what you like sometimes. My husband is like yours, there is no way he could live in a home without a yard. Listen to your heart. Money isn't everything. However, If you are planning on leaving within a year anyway, well . . .

Old 06-06-2016, 01:59 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Most of southwest FL is getting frothy again. If you're going just an hour away, are prices there any more sensible?

Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
OK, we're still self employed with 3 dogs (1 large) and we would want a neighborhood just like the one we are in.

My husband is not a condo guy. Off the table. Will not even discuss it. He was like that 30 years ago also so that is not a new thing.

Anyone faced with this?

Regret your decision?

Note: We would consider leaving the area, maybe moving north 30 minutes even but my FIL is a great concern and he's an hour from us now. He is 93.

Ugh, timing.....
Consider if this were 2006-07 and you say no and decided to sell two years later. We sold just in time at 95 percent peak and a few weeks later crash

Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM

Smile I'm in SE Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most of southwest FL is getting frothy again. If you're going just an hour away, are prices there any more sensible?
Right now, we love where we are. Lot of people flock here - young, old, in between.

Our neighborhood is unique. Not too many people move.

Prices depend on the area.

Will we be here forever? Who knows? At one time, I wanted a 2nd home. I have clients who have moved from here to 55 plus areas - some love it; some hate it. Hard to tell.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I wouldn't do anything unless/until YOU are really ready. Like you said, where would you go? Unless you have a concrete plan and desire on that, don't make any moves! Nothing worse than being rushed into something and regretting later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate