Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I realize this is an older post, but I happen to agree with the OP. It's also harder to buy a house on one income.
Nonsense. The process is the same whether it's one or 2 incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:17 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Got a nice escrow rebate check in the mail today that was twice the amount of my federal and state tax refund check....

yeah home-ownership as a single guy sure does suck for my finances.....

Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Nonsense. The process is the same whether it's one or 2 incomes.
Yep. I've bought 3 homes as a single person and it didn't seem particularly tough. Yes, I had to stick to my budget, but that applies to everyone.

And close to half of my neighbors are married couples who also purchased on a single income because one of them is a stay at home parent.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
I realize this is an older post, but I happen to agree with the OP. It's also harder to buy a house on one income.
I've bought three properties on a single income and never had any trouble getting the loan, putting 20% down or making the all of the payments all on my own. My current property I bought while I still owned my old one. That worked out too without hardship. Next?

Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
I've bought three properties on a single income and never had any trouble getting the loan, putting 20% down or making the all of the payments all on my own. My current property I bought while I still owned my old one. That worked out too without hardship. Next?
The more incomes you have, the easier it is to get that to 20%. I am in the top 25% HHI for my area as a single person and a 20% DP for an average home is about a year's net pay.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:58 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Geez, I've bought 6 houses and 2 pieces of land (one with a pond and one lakefront lot) on my own and never had a problem. For several of the houses I already owned another house and still managed to buy the next one as well. It's all up to credit history, amount of money down, and steady decent income, imho.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Geez...It's all up to credit history, amount of money down, and steady decent income...
Of course it is and as it always has been.

The point that was being made is that far too many "households" will REQUIRE that second
wage earner in order to the sort of "decent income" needed to afford things.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:15 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Let's be real here. Homes are for people with kids to raise them in. They are not a good investment for people with no kids to live in. Before anybody shouts out equity I will tell you this.

1. You'd get better equity by living in a cheap apartment and investing any extra money in the stock market and proudly watch it grow for 10/20 years. Screw a investment where you pay property taxes and any maintenance is on your dime. Yeah I said it.

2. When you live alone you don't need as much personal space. This makes apartment living superior to the single individual.

3. It is a myth that houses are assets. They aren't. Just stop paying the taxes on that home and see how fast Uncle Sam steals it from underneath you. The only real assets In life are your investments, the money you save at the bank, and your job. Anything else your just renting for a fixed amount of time (with the car being the only exception).

Just my opinion on why homes are a bad investment for single people and why renting for those people is a better option.
That's more the viewpoint of a young person, I'd say.

1. Homes are not just houses. They are homes. They represent a standard of living, a way of life. You pay not just for a house, but also for a neighborhood, where people stay for years and one can develop relationships with, even on just a casual basis.

2. Your property taxes are tax deductible. When calculating your stock investments, subtract whatever amount you would have saved on income taxes on the last 10 years, and then add back the amounts you spent for repairs & maintenance.

3. Don't forget to include you HO insurance as an expense, compared with the less costly renter's insurance.

4. Don't forget to subtract from your stock investment profits whatever value you assign to loving your home and having hte ability to paint or change it in whatever way you want. Also subtract from your profit whatever value you assign to your green space of your yard and how you use it: fruit trees, flowers, awesome trees, and just the breathing room and space free from being sandwiched inbetween other people.

5. Subtract from your stock profits the cost of maintaining your yard vs. the pleasure you get from it, and the food you grow, and the space.

6. Subtract from your stock profits whatever the ding in your credit rating takes from not being a homeowner. Owning a home is viewed by creditors as more stable, and you get points for that in your credit score. Whatever the lower score costs you in increased interest rates for your car or other items, subtract that from your stock profits.

7. Subtract from your stock profits the increasing rent over 10 years vs. your home mortgage remaining the same (not incl. homeowner's insurance and property taxes).

8. Subtract from your stock profits any extra amounts for utilities you may not have as much control over. In a house, you are 100% in control of your utilities. In an apartment, radiant heat and such from surrounding apartments will seep into yours, so you are at least somewhat limited in controlling your costs. You are also likely to have more of a bug problem, since they will come in from your neighbors' apartments.

9. Subtract from your stock profits any irritation cost from noisy neighbors. Parties, loud electronics, etc. You share walls with neighbors. This is much less likely to happen in a single-house neighborhood (plus, the quality of the neighbors is higher in a homeowner neighborhood).

A home is more than an investment. It represents a more stable way of life than apartment living, including your more stable neighbors. It is ALSO a financial investment, but that's not its main purpose.

Real estate is less risky than a stock investment. It is more guaranteed to appreciate over time than a stock, but real estate is less liquid, and it costs you to sell it.

I am looking for a forever home to retire in. I could live in an apartment and not have to pay for repairs. It's appealing. But it would cost a LOT to rent in a good area by good neighbors vs buying a home in such an area. You simply can't rent in the good areas. That's why they're called the good areas: they don't have rentals.

I also want a yard, a little space of green to call my own, to breathe, to offer my pets some room to run in, to have a small garden and a few fruit trees. Ahhhhhh....a much nicer way of life than living in a cubicle next to others who are living in cubicles, and who change every year. No telling who the neighbors will be next year.

Another good point to owning a home in one's senior years: Once it's paid for (and it will be, by the funds from the sale of my last home), I have a roof over my head for the rest of my life, if I pay the property taxes. I can even let the utilities be cut off for a while and live in it, if necessary. Or not use the a/c for a while, to cut the cost of utilities. I will never be homeless.

So it depends on your goal. If it's strictly to invest, an apartment may be the way to go, if it's a cheaper apartment. If it's a way of life that includes the things that a home offers, then that's the way to go. You can make a good profit either way.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:49 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The more incomes you have, the easier it is to get that to 20%. I am in the top 25% HHI for my area as a single person and a 20% DP for an average home is about a year's net pay.
All that is may be true. But I was responding to this (rather ignorant) statement:

Quote:

Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
I've an owner and I will never go back to renting.

What makes no sense to me are people who rent and do improvements to their apartments. Don't they realize it's just throwing money away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate