Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times

Advertisements

Here are the 10 lowest property tax states
The 10 Best States for Property Taxes | The Fiscal Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:08 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I'm surprised no one has brought up paying taxes for schools when you don't have any kids attending those schools.
OTOH, why do I pay taxes to pay for a senior center and veteran's services when I don't use them?

Paying taxes for those services is the cost of living in a society. Those schools, senior centers, veteran's departments, et al are all part of what makes your property have value. In my town, people pay high home prices because of the good schools and services provided.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:49 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Let me add these two interesting places for tax info:

Tax Foundation which has really grown over the years and has several good articles to click on. And

State Individual Income Tax Rates and Brackets for 2016 | Tax Foundation

Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

Tax Foundation which has really grown over the years and has several good articles to click on. And

I can tell you right now that Maryland's is wrong. While the number is "correct" as far as it goes they're ignoring the County Income Tax (which the State collects and then disburses) which is on average 1/2 the State rate (each County has a different rate).

Old 06-10-2016, 08:46 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Property taxes are anti-American. Sales tax/VAT or higher income tax should replace it. People have to pay taxes to the government on a property they have fully paid, for eternity. Its like renting from the government. It also doesnt take into account ability to pay like sales and income taxes as it changes with property valuation. Property taxes are awful.

It's the other way around. Property taxes are totally American--the original tax base in America. Second after property taxes were vice taxes, then sales taxes. Income tax is a late comer, not even a hundred years old, and required a constitutional amendment. Property tax concept is built into the constitution.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
I'm surprised no one has brought up paying taxes for schools when you don't have any kids attending those schools.
That's because most people realize that educating the next generation is an overall social good that benefits everyone.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
You do get benefit from school taxes. The kids are corralled all day in school instead of aimlessly wandering around committing vandalism. Also, many business won't come to areas with an uneducated population, so good schools can bring jobs to the area.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can tell you right now that Maryland's is wrong. While the number is "correct" as far as it goes they're ignoring the County Income Tax (which the State collects and then disburses) which is on average 1/2 the State rate (each County has a different rate).
Ohio is similar with many local city income taxes:
http://www.tax.ohio.gov/municipaliti...tax_forms.aspx

The webpage in Cully's post does have a note in the fine print that "Local taxes are not included".

Here is a webpage that is more inclusive of all taxes state by state:
https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state
(which probably has its own margin of error)

Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I must have misread an article, maybe it was about income tax, certain states do not have them.
Property taxes are tricky. Many states do not assess or levy a state property tax. That's how local jurisdictions fund fire departments, schools, local government, etc. get their money, but the state has no part of it. That's how Oregon works. There is no state property tax, but every local jurisdiction in the state has one. People in Portland pay 3x the property tax rate that I do in rural Southern Oregon. Couple that with the fact that urban property is more expensive than remote rural property, and their property tax bills get pretty large. I only pay $1500/year for a 1700 sf. completely remodeled ranch style on 90 acres of trees and meadow with a creek in the back yard, deck and patio, gazebo overlooking the creek, barn, and a paved county road all the way to my house. Property taxes on comparable property in the Portland area would be over $20,000/year.

I pay property taxes to the county, school district, fire department, and forest protective association. There will be a measure on the ballot to form a county library taxing district in November, and I support that. The state collects an income tax, but there is no sales tax in Oregon.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Property taxes are anti-American. Sales tax/VAT or higher income tax should replace it. People have to pay taxes to the government on a property they have fully paid, for eternity. Its like renting from the government. It also doesnt take into account ability to pay like sales and income taxes as it changes with property valuation. Property taxes are awful.
Property Tax is invidious because it is the tax that never quits.

A sales tax is one time and you can budget for it.

Income tax requires income.

Getting a tax bill for 80% more than the year before is robbery... it happened to me in Washington State.

The Assessor said I should be pleased my property nearly doubled in less than two years... I said pay me the new assessed value and it is yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate