Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 AM

34 posts, read 39,042 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the other side of the country and in the area we are looking, desirable homes sell very quickly. We have a very good idea of what we want, and there is a house on the market that meets all our stringent criteria. It just had its second price drop (market time 40 days) and is a perfect price for us. Sellers are eager b/c they've purchased a new home on the other side of the country and move next month.

We trust our realtor (and have seen other homes with her in person, so she knows what we are looking for) and have family in the area. We have seen the house on FaceTime and my father will see it in person tomorrow. We don't move there for another 2 weeks (we have a rental lined up already).

Is it completely insane to buy a million dollar house without actually setting foot in it? We are hesitant to risk waiting the 2 weeks until we are physically in the city because sellers are eager and we don't think the house will last that long.

Advice, please! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 AM

247 posts, read 243,036 times
Yes, you are insane. You're going to spend a million and not look at it? I've looked at plenty of houses that look great on paper or in pictures but when you see them in person thay have disturbing defects which are hidden in the pictures.

If you're really hot for this property today is Friday, get on a plane this weekend and visit the property. It is a small price to pay for a million dollar investment.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,070,811 times
We hadn't set foot in our home before we bought it. With so much technology today, you can get a feel for a property from afar. We used google earth to see all around the house, the neighborhood, the larger local area, etc. Then we asked our buyer's agent to come to the house and film it inside - she did a fantastic job! Then she stood outside and took a video from the outside looking away. With all of that, when we did get to see the house in person, we felt as though we had already been there - no surprises.

If you can't get there and you will have an option to deal with: what if we hate the house and the neighborhood?

We were prepared for both. But then my house was far far less than a million dollars. For that price, one of you needs to get there, IMO.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:23 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,697,329 times
YES! "Haste makes waste!" "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!" You are desiring a home, correct? You are not a Chinese investor, who will never set foot in the property? AND my favorite: there are many who believe that RE is prepped to dramatically decline, therefore, "If you like a house in your chosen area at that price, you will really like it at 30-50% less".

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-10-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 07:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,004,409 times
Yes. That is crazy.

If you really want this house, catch a red eye flight, see the house in person, and fly back home. The $2000 or so for a last minute ticket is well worth it when you consider what a mistake will cost you.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 AM

5,129 posts, read 4,465,675 times
YES! A million dollars is a lot of money, so it's crazy to let someone else decide on such a purchase for you. The RE agent just wants to make a sale, so I wouldn't entirely trust her.

You will be living there. You are the only one(s) who can decide what's right for you. Either you or your spouse should go see the house asap.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:57 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
I'll agree that you'd be way better off paying for the plane ticket.

BUT - people do this all the time. It's not SO unusual or crazy. New construction houses - you buy them looking at blueprints. If you're lucky, you get to walk thru a model. Our last home in AZ was sold sight unseen - but they knew the model, knew the neighborhood, and (like you) sent their realtor to take additional photos. The first home I ever bought with my husband was purchased while he was out if town on business BEFORE the days of the Internet. He couldn't even look at photos if it - all he could do is listen to my description. By the time he got home, I had signed the sales contract (with his agreement). He loved that house, btw. I've know several people who purchased in 55+ communities before visiting them. Military families do it regularly.

The risk to me wouldn't be the house itself. THAT I can view well enough with photos, FaceTime and having the Realtor (and your dad!l walk through. But if you're unfamiliar with the immediate area and the neighborhood, that would worry me. A lot.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,636,357 times
If you can afford that kind of house, you can afford to fly there and go look at it.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 AM

34 posts, read 39,042 times
Thanks for all the replies! It's not the money to go fly and see it, it's that we have 3 young kids and are both working this weekend. But, I think we can figure out a way for my husband to fly for the day Sunday to take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll agree that you'd be way better off paying for the plane ticket.

BUT - people do this all the time. It's not SO unusual or crazy. New construction houses - you buy them looking at blueprints. If you're lucky, you get to walk thru a model. Our last home in AZ was sold sight unseen - but they knew the model, knew the neighborhood, and (like you) sent their realtor to take additional photos. The first home I ever bought with my husband was purchased while he was out if town on business BEFORE the days of the Internet. He couldn't even look at photos if it - all he could do is listen to my description. By the time he got home, I had signed the sales contract (with his agreement). He loved that house, btw. I've know several people who purchased in 55+ communities before visiting them. Military families do it regularly.

The risk to me wouldn't be the house itself. THAT I can view well enough with photos, FaceTime and having the Realtor (and your dad!l walk through. But if you're unfamiliar with the immediate area and the neighborhood, that would worry me. A lot.
Good point. I'm actually from the city originally (though not this particular suburb). My parents have lived in the area for 10 years and I have several friends who live nearby also. So, I not unfamiliar with the immediate area.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM

141 posts, read 170,832 times
If you have plenty money, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate