Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:03 AM

8 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Are you referring to Greenpoint Savings Bank from Brooklyn? Greenpoint was sold to North Fork Bank around 2004. North Fork was bought by Capital One around 2007.
I think Greenpoint was another lender altogether, not a physical bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
IF any claimants come out of the woodwork, even AFTER final notice, the court will rule against you. So, you won't then get it cleared without paying that money back.
In my case.. I didn't have this happen. I'm guessing I just got lucky, but I had a very similar situation like OP and the loan servicer did come forward after it was discharged. To this day, I haven't made a single cent of a payment on the old lien.. and they haven't moved forward.

It's YMMV, and it's something OP should ask an experienced attorney in their state about. I don't know all the specifics, but it might just work out for them.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekooldude215 View Post
In my case.. I didn't have this happen. I'm guessing I just got lucky, but I had a very similar situation like OP and the loan servicer did come forward after it was discharged. To this day, I haven't made a single cent of a payment on the old lien.. and they haven't moved forward.

It's YMMV, and it's something OP should ask an experienced attorney in their state about. I don't know all the specifics, but it might just work out for them.

I'm not saying after being discharged, then they can't do anything. "Final notice" is BEFORE actual discharge by the court. I had a relative come forward after final notice had expired, and before discharge, and that was that for my deal. My lawyer said the court would never go against an owner of record if they came forward before discharge.

I did get all taxes paid back, PLUS 50% interest PLUS all lawyer and publishing costs, so I made out ok. I just didn't make out as well as I would have by gaining and then selling the 50 acres I was after on the tax deed.

This was back in the mid '90's. Michigan has since changed their tax deed procedure to foreclose and sell the property at auction right away.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Check the public records

Check the public records in the county where your property is located. See if there is an assignment.

I do remember Greenpoint Mortgage but I'm not sure who their loans were sold to.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Check the public records in the county where your property is located. See if there is an assignment.

I do remember Greenpoint Mortgage but I'm not sure who their loans were sold to.
This actually is a really good idea. Many loans in default will have a assignment recorded transferring the ownership from Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems (MERS) or the Original Lender to the new loan servicer.

The MERS website.. if you type in the "MIN" will also show the "current" loan servicer & investor details. That could yield some results on ownership. It does however.. sound like OP's loan was lost between servicers, if he hasn't been receiving statements or correspondence for years.

As for Greenpoint.. I'd take a wild guess that America's Servicing Company (WellsFargo) or Countrywide (Bank of America now) probably has something to do with it.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 5,154 times
Default I am having the same issue!!!

I'm having the same issue! I paid off a Greenpoint Mortgage in 1995 and I cannot sell my house. Greenpoint never filed a satisfaction of mortgage. All I have is a letter where they discuss it was paid off.

My attorney and the title company are not helping at all. Do you have any suggestions or help I should be looking into?

I tried calling CapOne but they won't issue the lien release since the loan was paid off before Greenpoint even sold to North Fork.

Please advise!
Thank you so much

Old 09-13-2021, 11:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Your attorney and the title agency are going to have to put pressure on them to prove otherwise. Sadly, there is very little else that you can do yourself. This is a situation where you have to rely on the professionals to do their job.

If the attorney and title agent do not or cannot resolve this, reach out to a local TV station. They love taking stories like you explained and embarrass companies like this to take corrective action where they were not so willing before. Perhaps your local Better Business Bureau might have suggestions. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate