Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 07:04 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times

Advertisements

Dislikes that lots of people like:

Claw foot tubs or anything that looks "antique" in a bath
Farmhouse sinks
White or very dark cabinets, or fussy cabinets, in kitchens
Most Silestone or other quartz countertops
Vessel sinks
50s and 60s modern
Faux Craftsman style architecture and interiors on a new house
Houses with lots of tiny rooms vs same size house with bigger but fewer rooms
Most basements
Brick colonials (but that's what I have :-) )
Lots of gray (been there), but some is fine
As many have said, impractical pedestal sinks
Double sinks where a house has two baths on the same floor (really--someone would rather give up counter space and brush his or her teeth together with someone else at exactly the same time (ew) than one of them walking a few steps down the hall?)--very glad to see a lot of people agree on this; from watching HGTV, I thought I was the only one.
Wood floors with a big ugly rug--(that rug isn't any cleaner than WTW carpet)
Most accent tile and backsplashes--again glad to see I'm not alone
Subway tile--reminds me of concrete block walls in elementary school and of, er, subways

Likes that lots of people don't like:

Good modern or contemporary design
Big windows (until this thread I thought everyone liked these! It's been interesting to see how wrong I was on lots of assumptions)
Pools
Manicured landscaping (though mine will never get there!)
2nd floor laundry
Beige
Smallish lots (less care) but only with good neighbors
Stucco (like the clean modern lines it can produce)

Last edited by ACWhite; 06-30-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:06 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,307 times
Dislikes:
Open concept
Closed concept (yes, this too)
Most kitchen design choices
Water theme park bathrooms
tile counters
garages that stick out from the front of the house
anything chintzy or cheap looking (i.e. thin crown or base moulding)
more than one kind of flooring in contiguous spaces
closets in bathrooms
big his/hers or master closets
two story entries
stained oak woodwork/trim

Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err.... Why?

I live in a universe of WiFi, COAX, and CAT6. I stream video over gigabit Ethernet and use WiFi for everything else. You'd need a true mansion to bump into the 100 meter gigabit Ethernet limitation where you might want fiber. The 6,000 square foot plastic box on the cul-de-sac certainly doesn't need it. It needs a couple of Power over Ethernet WiFi repeaters to get 802.11ac everywhere.
You are 100% correct Geoff. A wireless network can push its signal further than my lot, no problem. Google's probably got a better estimate than me as to how much further.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaireSolstice View Post
LOVE original style of houses older than 1970s. ie: mid century modern, 60s finishes, craftsman bungalows, you know, houses with character that hasn't been "upgraded" or modernized. Built-ins. Original floors. Original windows. Coming up with a modern solution to retro-fit an older home to work with modern conveniences without sacrificing the original intention of the floor plan or cabinetry.
^^^ ...but those are becoming more and more difficult to find.
Simple likes and wants (and this would be our last home).
-a one story pre 1950 craftsman or ranch (would prefer brick)
-a basement
-wood floors (both of us have always lived in homes with wood floors except for the last 3 years)
-a walk-in pantry
-built-ins
-1 and a half baths (want a bathtub)
-a living room and a dining room with a kitchen that has space for a table (don't care if there's no island)
-a garage for the heavy snow we get (a driveway would be nice) We had alleys but no one took care of them and we were the only ones who would shovel and snow blow so we could make it through.
-some trees but again we had several and I could never have a vegetable garden or plants that
needed sun. As lovely as the oak trees were, boy we they a pain when it came to raking and the
leaves wouldn't break down.
-a smaller lot if in the city limits - no more big lawns
-fenced in yard (we can do that)
-gas heat
-a positive inspection report

No to:
Cathedral ceilings
Open concept
Single farmhouse kitchen sink
Breakfast bars

Anything else that might need work (redecorating) we could easily do ourselves so I wouldn't
care about resale.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
When a listing states "LIGHT AND BRIGHT"...ughh....I like dark and woodsy.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM

271 posts, read 214,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like enclosed toilets, which mostly found in the master bath. I've had several houses with one and I think they're great. It allows the rest of the bathroom to be used while you're spending some quality time in there. You can always leave the door open if no one else is in the area.

One minus I haven't seen mentioned is a master bathroom that's open to the master bedroom. My last house was set up like that and our offer required the builder to install a door. Our winter house was also like that and we immediately installed a door. I can't think of any reason why anyone wouldn't want a door leading into the master bath. If someone gets up early, the sleeping partner can see the lights and hear the water running. It's just one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
I have this in my newly built townhome (Feb '16). It's definitely not ideal for just the reason you described. Fiancee is an MD and gets up/returns at all hours of the day.

Would rather just have the door going into the bathroom instead of the weird toilet closet.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:43 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
I like the poopin closet. But ours has 2 doors including one for the bathroom as a whole. Well 3 as the walk in closet has its own as well.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:53 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^ ...but those are becoming more and more difficult to find.
Older homes are being HGTV'd to death. Every "upgraded" house I looked at a few years ago had all the walls removed to make the living space one large eat-in kitchen, original oak floors replaced with darker stained woods, and damn kitchen islands and breakfast bars jutting into what should be a living room.

A friend of mine grew up in a modest but very modern mid-century home. After her parents passed, the new owners "improved" it by removing the floor-to-ceiling windows and covering everything in vinyl siding. Breaks my heart every time I drive by. I'm glad I'm not privy to what they did inside -- I remember a stone fireplace, gorgeous solid wood paneling, slat benches in front of the windows (sigh), and a nifty galley kitchen with lots of built-ins. Such a beautiful home, and now it's ruined.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:15 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
When a listing states "LIGHT AND BRIGHT"...ughh....I like dark and woodsy.
And cool right? Light and bright means "hot and blaring" in summer. All these windows and skylights will either need to be closed off, or the AC budget needs to be really high in summer.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:37 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Dislikes:

glass tile backsplashes
light oak wood floors
vinyl siding
galley kitchens
two-level islands
two story entry ways
wood paneling of any kind
carpeting throughout the home
closed concept in the kitchen/living areas
open game rooms upstairs
skylights
vessel sinks in the bathroom

Last edited by 940; 07-01-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate