Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times

Advertisements

I love zero lot houses -- hate looking into neighbors' windows and I like teeny yards

Hate walk thru laundry rooms to go to the garage

Hate 2-tier kitchen islands -- one flat surface please!

Hate having to walk thru the other side of a bathroom to get to the master closet

Hate pocket doors on bathrooms -- my sister lived in a condo and the door fell off the track when she closed it so the cat wouln't follow her in, and she was home alone -- after about 4 hours of screaming 4 help she was finally freed!

Wall ovens and built in microwaves with cooktop a very strong preference

Hate low bathroom sink cabinets

Hate shower/tub combos -- have to have big soaking tub and walk in shower

Hate brass doorknobs and light fixtures

Hate sunken rooms of any kind in houses

If I built a house it would have a water fountain and a built in coffee station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post

Fireplaces in areas that don't require emergency heating - i.e. New Hampshire, yes; Florida, no.
Florida can get down to 30 degrees in the winter at times.

My grandparents had a fireplace in the house they built in Florida around 1950. There was no central heating and the fireplace was used fairly often in winter.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Florida can get down to 30 degrees in the winter at times.

My grandparents had a fireplace in the house they built in Florida around 1950. There was no central heating and the fireplace was used fairly often in winter.
I know, I live here.

The insurance expense alone for maybe two weeks of cool weather simply doesn't justify it. And I would never buy a house without heating or air conditioning.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Have no use for 2 story houses, only will live in one floor, ranch style homes. Don't like detached garages. Don't like tubs of any kinds, showers take care of all my needs. Don't like cedar house siding, or any siding that needs paining or staining....vinyl siding costs nothing to maintain & looks the same year after year. Don't like carpets anywhere in the house, all hardwood or tile is fine for me.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
-
HOA , wait let me repeat H O A!!! agh!

water views- ( yup guarantees you'll be flooded or be out on that water floating with the home)

townhouses. ( sure lets share the houses burning up simultaneously!)

Duplexs

add on living space where you can tell it will blow away on the next wind storm.

homes that are sloped back - ( nice way to get water and run off into your garage or basement)

whirlpool tubs

open concept ( no I don't want to smell what you are cooking from the family room.)

high ceilings ( great I get to heat an area that has no purpose)

the so called " era" design , 70's kitchen, 50's kitchen, pink tile?? or anything that needs tossed out because we are not in those decades.

things I like yet some may not:

Green living space - solar, geo thermal
one floor living
separate garage not attached to the house
pocket doors
large yard
rural space
metal roof
Double door entry

Old 06-27-2016, 01:36 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Dislike

tile counters
those big dust collectors in the master bath - I think some people call them tubs?
detached garages
two-level islands/bar tops
too many places in one house dedicated to eating (No, I don't need a breakfast bar, kitchen nook and formal dining room, esp. all within 10-20 feet of each other!)
snout houses with garage sticking out in front
overly large houses including ridiculously large master bedrooms
master closet that you have to go through the bathroom to get to
no overhead lighting
badly planned kitchens (I'm sure that people are saying well, who likes those? and the answer is apparently many people because I see them a lot!)
bedrooms with doors too close to each other

open floor plan (around here, seems like that counts as liking something others dislike! lol!)
alley loading garage
stainless appliances
big front porch/veranda

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Since it seems like this has taken a turn to a general dislike thread then this is my dislike list:

Small lot (must be over a third of an acre)
No trees
Urban
Single story (though I have arthritis so I'm forced to rethink my position on this)
No pool
No fireplace
Slate or any other hard flooring in bedrooms
Brass
No character/cookie cutter
Not enough light/windows
No landscaping other than shrubbery
Builder grade cabinets
Small garage
Not enough bathrooms (do not like 4/2)
Small laundry room
Uncovered patio
Ugly staircase
No real design/"flow".
Tile counters, particularly WHITE tile counters with white grout
front facing garages so that all you see is garage
short driveways

I can't say that I "dislike" a home due to size because right now, only homes over 3k sq ft would work for me so I wouldn't look at a home that's less than that..

Old 06-27-2016, 03:01 PM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
hot tubs and wooden decks in previously owned home.

I like hot tubs just now a used one from a previous owner.

Dislike wooden decks by that I mean the kind that is accessed from the main or second floor of the house and so is much higher than the yard by a very significant height requiring stairs to actually get down into the yard. Unfortunately those are very popular here in western Washington.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:02 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Guess I'm the only person in the thread who would LOVE a huge whirlpool tub! But then I take baths 99% of the time. I only shower if I'm in a big hurry. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if there was no shower.

Things that I don't like...

-Those cookie cutter houses that are so close that you can touch your neighbor's wall if you put your hand out the window (could also be read as small lots - If I'm going to have a house, I want some space and separation from others!)
-HOAs
-No trees - I don't think people realize just how you can save on electricity with a few well placed trees.
-Multiple levels - I used to be okay with this, but the longer I live, the less I want to deal with stairs.
-Detached garage - While any garage is nice, the detached one seems a lot less functional since they're mainly useful for inclement weather. If I have to walk through snow/rain to get to and from it, I feel like it kinda defeats the purpose (for me, anyway).
-Those walk-through closests - I've seen a lot of those in master bedrooms and I hate them. I don't want to have to walk through my closet to get to the bathroom.
-Anything on a hill that requires me to park on a hill - If the house is on a hill but the parking/garage space is on a level area, that's fine but I don't like parking on hills.
-Wood burning fireplaces - Right now I live in the south, so fireplaces are really only good for decoration. If I was going to have one, I'd rather just have gas. If I lived in a colder climate, I would be more open to wood burning.
-Huge windows/balcony in the master bedroom - I know I'm weird here, but I like it VERY dark when I sleep. Larger windows or doors/sliding doors would just make that even more difficult for me.

I could probably go on, but I'll stick with those.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:17 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Things I'm turned off by that many others seem to like:

-As someone mentioned, I've generally been turned off by a lot of new construction as its generic and rather cheaply made . . . the older houses in Brooklyn tend to be rather sturdy. Of course, there are some exceptions, but this is what I've seen generally).

-Also, I would rather not have a large yard or a stand alone house for that matter (much prefer condo living).

-Open concept (I don't like things too closed off, but I have my limits with open concept on the whole (I'm not as extreme as some).

-Suburban

-Carpeted living rooms

Things I'm turned on by that many others seem to dislike:

-HOAs

-Half bathrooms

-Carpeted bedrooms
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate