Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM

19,424 posts, read 8,970,592 times

Advertisements

Just for grins (and not to start any arguments!) --

What are things that you think most people like in houses that you don't, and what things attract you that you think most people consider turn-offs?

For example, I personally won't even consider buying a home with an in-ground swimming pool, and I strongly dislike stainless steel appliances, even though I know they are fashionable. I also prefer a natural, wooded type of "landscaping", so manicured lawns turn me off, too.

And in the past when I was looking at a suburban lot, I definitely preferred smaller lots to larger ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM

19,357 posts, read 27,562,622 times
I hate those two level islands. All I want is one big countertop height island. (We argued with our builder to get ours done that way. After seeing ours, four of our neighbors have ripped out 3 year old granite and replaced it to get rid of that two level thing.)

At this stage of our lives, no two story houses. I used to prefer them.

Three houses and 25+ years in Phoenix and we NEVER had a pool. No thanks!

Basements - no way, no how, never, never, never.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:51 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Overall, I do NOT like new construction in this area. It's so freakin' generic looking.

I don't like that weirdo castle look so many houses have (again, it's a trend more with the new construction).

I don't like two stories.

I loathe alley parking.

I don't like those neighborhoods where everyone just picks one of several similar floor plans. Bledch.

I'm not interested in having my whole house rigged to a computer system that controls everything. Nopity nope nope.

Outdoor firepits/fireplaces/etc. It's bad enough I have to smell my neighbors smoking up the street. I won't do it in my own yard. BBQ is different. Yum. I love smelling my neighbors grilling.

Movie theaters in homes. No, thanks. Except for a friend I have whose movie theater is AN ACTUAL movie theater in his house, nothing else I've encountered is really that much better than a nice big screen with good sound in your den. The % better it is isn't worth the price and waste of space.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM

7,211 posts, read 6,975,823 times
Fireplaces in areas that don't require emergency heating - i.e. New Hampshire, yes; Florida, no.

Fussy landscaping. I hate working in the yard.

Pot lights. I find them glaring and, of course, too fixed. Where light should be is determined by how *I* want to use the space.

French doors. Hate them.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:07 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,303,625 times
Tons of square footage.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 AM

19,357 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Fireplaces in areas that don't require emergency heating - i.e. New Hampshire, yes; Florida, no.

Fussy landscaping. I hate working in the yard.

Pot lights. I find them glaring and, of course, too fixed. Where light should be is determined by how *I* want to use the space.

French doors. Hate them.
LOL. Just goes to show ya.

I love having a fireplace. Every house I purchased in Phoenix and our current house in Raleigh has one. That it heats up the house isn't important to me.

we added MORE pot lights when we built this house.

I love french doors. Wish I had put one in our master instead of the sliding Arcadia door.

Fussy landscaping - not an issue. We built in an HOA that includes all our landscape maitenance!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM

280 posts, read 248,512 times
I can't stand large tubs in the master bath. Seems like most houses built in the 90s and early 00s have them. The majority of people that I know with them never use them. I would rather use the space for other uses.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM

10,297 posts, read 7,876,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
I can't stand large tubs in the master bath. Seems like most houses built in the 90s and early 00s have them.
And I'm the complete opposite: I LOVE large soaking tubs. So of course my current condo has no room for one.

My own eccentric dislikes are high/vaulted ceilings, stainless steel appliances (which of course my new condo has), gas fireplaces, TVs mounted over the fireplace, yards with really elaborate landscaping that requires lots of maintenance, and wooden decks.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

8,539 posts, read 12,259,217 times
I like having a swamp in my backyard!

Oh...and I like being on well and septic.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,867,325 times
my dislikes:

Open concept
stainless steel
granite counters
large bathrooms and two sinks
HOAs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate