Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:50 PM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why some potential buyers will look at homes that they know, via the listing photos and/or description, they will not consider buying?

Today we received feedback from a showing in which the Realtor said that his clients did not want ceramic tile floors in the main living areas, which the listing stated and the photos clearly showed. Now, of course, they could cover them up with carpeting or go to a HUGE expense and have hardwood floors put in, but if they knew they wouldn't want to buy a house with tile floors, why would they want to waste their time by even looking at such a house?

(Btw, their only other gripe was that our yard was too small, but that is understandable because I know that many people cannot get a sense of size or layout or actual condition of the house without an in-person visit.)

Last edited by katharsis; 07-06-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 02:58 PM

14,456 posts, read 12,064,731 times
I've had lots of buyers make exceptions to the deal breakers they thought they had, or started with, at the beginning.

Every house is a compromise on something.

Flooring type is so easy to change or adapt to, it shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone.

IMHO, the real problem is putting too much trust in requested buyer feedback. Choosing a house is subjective and personal and they didn't like it for whatever reason... you won't like any of the reasons. If they didn't bring up price, you're doing well.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:20 PM

6,813 posts, read 11,522,417 times
Feedback is sometimes useless. In one of our previous homes, we had a storm sewer inlet box in the corner of the backyard (basically a three foot square slab of concrete). We got a lot of negative feedback about it, but there sure wasn't a thing we could do about it. When I've looked at houses, there were some I didn't like, but I couldn't put a finger on what it was. I would just say, "I'm just not feeling the love." Hopefully my realtor didn't share that as feedback!

A lot of "dealbreakers" can be overcome if the house is otherwise perfect and/or a heck of a buy.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:20 PM

Thanks, Diana.

Maybe my husband and I are different from most other buyers, but we only have four "musts" -- meaning that the lack of any of these truly is a "deal breaker" unless the deal-breaker can be changed without too much fuss or expense (such as a minor kitchen remodel, as opposed to, for example, not having any bedrooms or baths on the main floor).

Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,146,706 times
Well, most people can't afford their version of a perfect house. If they don't consider all the possibilities, they may never find anything.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Because there's always the chance that there will be something else about the house they will love SO much that they won't consider them dealbreakers anymore.

The only feedback that matters is an offer, but some comments can be annoying. Sometimes you can try to ward them off. I noticed one agent in our area amended a recent listing with a message to buyer's agents to tell their clients ahead of time that there were train tracks in the back yard. I guess some people don't look on Google Earth before going out.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Maybe they didn't know that they didn't want ceramic tile until they saw it in your house? It happens.

When I was selling my last house, one person, after looking, commented that she didn't want stairs. Okay then.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM

347 posts, read 426,575 times
Because deal breakers usually aren't really deal breakers if everything else in the house works. As others have noted, most people have to compromise on something when they buy a house. Plus, I think many realtors show buyers as large variety of homes as possible to see if the things that the buyer said are deal breakers are really deal breakers or if they are just preferences.

Not to mention, sometimes something in theory isn't a deal breaker until you see it in person. I think that is why people indicate that the house has too many stairs or they don't like the lot, etc. There are things that someone thinks they can overlook, but find out when they really start to think about living in the house, they realize they can't live with those things.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:41 PM

REALLY great comments and opinions, everyone. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 PM

3,295 posts, read 3,018,320 times
I have looked at homes where I thought there was a deal breaker, but I wanted to see if I could fall in love with the other elements of the home enough to overlook it. And that did happen with our most recent home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate