Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffin View Post
apparently no one read my remarks in between all of yours. I was all packed and ready to go and had movers to my home weeks before all of this happened to set something up. Call me stupid, call me ignorant as you have but I didn't know the real estate laws. My realtor has been my friend for years. Everything you have said makes sense. It's sold and it's not mine any longer and I should have left but I had no clue about people coming in and throwing you out. It never crossed my mind. I would have thought she could have told me and I could have had good movers come in and put stuff in storage and go to a motel and none of my stuff would be missing. That would have been fine with me. My realtor sure made sure she was there when they showed up? why? my mistake I took the papers and signed them not knowing what I was signing. but why didn't she explain things to me how real estate works isn't that she is getting paid for? she failed me as my friend and that hurts worse and I am not playing the victim. My realtor never even found one house for me. I found everyone of them. I drove us to all of them and bought us both lunch every time. I thought we were friends. To me that hurts the worse and loosing my mothers rock crystal to the movers. I had good movers but all the good movers were taken at a spur of the moment.
I just don't understand- what did you think would happen once the three day extension ended? What were the buyers supposed to do with their movers who were booked to move their stuff in the day that they bought the house?

I once bought a house from a seller like the OP. On the day of closing when I had movers lined up to move us in, I saw the house for the closing walkthrough and it was full of things. I gave them a two day extension and paid $100 to reschedule my movers, and then when two days came, they still weren't out. Took lots of yelling and arguing but I was finally able to get them out on the third day.

People are just SO inconsiderate of others. It's clear that OP never once thought about how OP's actions impacted the other family. So selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
I know my temper tantrum didn't help but I couldn't believe I was being thrown out. All of my stuff was packed up in boxes ready to go. I told my agent I was sorry. I had already had a moving company out to my house for an estimate. The new buyers showed up at 2 pm and gave me 5 hours. My movers were busy and I grabbed what I could on Craigslist. Yes they owned the house but I just can't imagine throwing someone out on the streets. I would have paid them for a few more days to get my things out.

I think my realtor should have prepared me for what could happen. Then my new house she had the key put under a rock?
Does that sound professional?
Perhaps the realtor should have pointed out the obvious to you. After closing on that house, it was no longer yours, the new owners had every right to expect you gone after that three day extension (done as a favor to you, and something I would never agree to as a buyer). It was presumptuous of you to expect the new owners to delay their move to accomodate your failure to make arrangements ahead of time in the event the closing was delayed on your new house. What about the inconveniences you were placing on them by doing so?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Perhaps the realtor should have pointed out the obvious to you. After closing on that house, it was no longer yours, the new owners had every right to expect you gone after that three day extension (done as a favor to you, and something I would never agree to as a buyer). It was presumptuous of you to expect the new owners to delay their move to accomodate your failure to make arrangements ahead of time in the event the closing was delayed on your new house. What about the inconveniences you were placing on them by doing so?
Naive clients do these things. It is the job of professionals involved to make sure they do not happen.

It does not occur to a seller that a delayed closing is very common. Or that it can slip aqgain, and again, and again.

So the Agent makes sure they understand and have a plan.

Now that does not work all the time. Once in a while you run into the individual who refuses.

Then you write them an explicit letter about the matter.

You never, never ignore such a situation.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
We've done rent backs before, planned far ahead of time , so we had time to pack and get out without rushing.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:37 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance I guess. I just can't imagine throwing someone out on the street and my realtor should have told me they can do that. I would never do that to anyone. I am in my new house and the owners haven't even moved into their new house yet. It was there's and they weren't nice about asking me to leave. The son and the dad came into the house screaming at me. There was no need to treat me like that I had no idea this was going to happen. I don't think either of them would have wanted their wives spoken to the way they treated me. I have never been so disrespected in all my life. I told my realtor I didn't want to see her again when 15 minutes after they were yelling at me she still hadn't said anything to anyone. She knew this was going to happen. Why else was she there? She knew it was going to happen and she should have prepared me for it. She isn't just my realtor. We have been friends for many years. She should have told me what could happen.
You mean, you needed it explained to you that once your house was closed on, it belonged to the buyers, not you? And that since you no longer owned the property, you no longer had any rights to be there?. I would have thought it pretty intuitive for someone with any common sense at all, but maybe that's asking too much.

Honestly, from your comments it sounds as though you had every intention of squatting on that property until you could move into your new house, as open ended as that time might be. If I as a buyer encountered a seller who acted like that, I might not have yelled and screamed as you claim they did, but you better believe I would take any measures necessary to get you and your stuff out of that house by the agreed on times.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:21 PM

219 posts, read 439,496 times
Quote:
It's sold and it's not mine any longer and I should have left but I had no clue about people coming in and throwing you out.
"I knew what the rules were but thought I could get away with it anyway."

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Naive clients do these things. It is the job of professionals involved to make sure they do not happen.

Yep. That's why they get the Big Bucks.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry guys. I find this thread very sad.

All competent RE Agents know that closing without move out creates a volatile and dangerous situation. ONe advises a client against doing it but then negotiates an agreement for occupancy after closing. None like it but most do it when out of other choices.

A competent agent however warns the client that it becomes difficult if you are not out on time or by a new negotiated departure.

Thus the agent was incompetent in not properly preparing her client for the coming battle. In fact I would think the seller has a good arbitration with her agent at the local board if that board has protocols like ours.

This bit though that the new owner has some right to throw out the seller who overstays the 3 day extension is also utter nonsense. What he has is the right to go to the local low end court and get an eviction notice. He can then serve the seller and have a marshall remove her. This involves notice and an opportunity to respond to the complaint.

So the RE Agent and the buyer were both wrong. And neither proceeded in a correct manner.

And the posters on this thread demonstrated how little they know about all this..

And Silverfall should be ashamed.

I find it sad too. We all agree that the OP had issues, but she also got a raw deal from her agent.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
"I knew what the rules were but thought I could get away with it anyway."
To a degree you do get away with it. It is virtually impossible to throw anyone out in less than three days and in many places far more than that.

In most situations of this sort the buyer is the one who loses - not the seller.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Ok I am wrong. It's ok to do this but my realtor should have warned me I think of what could and will happen.
Really? Is your Realtor a mind reader?

You had a 3 day extension to move out after closing.
Did you pay rent to the buyers for those 3 days? That should have been settled in the closing documents and if so you had the legal right to stay there.
Your Realtor's duties upon closing of this transaction legally end then so I don't know why you are blaming her for your lack of foresight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate