Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times

Advertisements

Houses dont just sell. You have to have a closing and sign paperwork. So you knew the house sold. Why did you need longer than a weekend to move? You knew you were moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I can see where this could happen. I sold my house and the day after it was sold, which was a Friday, my realtor came to me and said I had the weekend to move out. The problem was, I wasn't told the house had sold until Friday.
Negative. A seller knows when his/her house sells. Realtors can't close on a house for you. The seller must sign the house over to the buyers. The seller either has to be present for the sale (almost all instances), or must Docusign the paperwork which stipulates the exact closing date. You look at the calendar and know when you have to leave. It's not difficult. Besides, there is the obvious matter of what a sale is. Everyone knows that when they sell any item, they know longer own it, so in the matter of a home sale, once they sell it, they must leave the property. It's not theirs to live in anymore.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I can see where this could happen. I sold my house and the day after it was sold, which was a Friday, my realtor came to me and said I had the weekend to move out. The problem was, I wasn't told the house had sold until Friday.
Meaning you had an offer, or the transaction closed? You have to sign numerous papers before closing. If you had an offer, you would have had to mutually decide on the closing date. There is no way it should have been a surprise.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:25 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Negative. A seller knows when his/her house sells. Realtors can't close on a house for you. The seller must sign the house over to the buyers. The seller either has to be present for the sale (almost all instances), or must Docusign the paperwork which stipulates the exact closing date. You look at the calendar and know when you have to leave. It's not difficult. Besides, there is the obvious matter of what a sale is. Everyone knows that when they sell any item, they know longer own it, so in the matter of a home sale, once they sell it, they must leave the property. It's not theirs to live in anymore.
Simply untrue. Either buyer or seller can control close and practically their agent. This again differs between states particularly those in the east and west. In general escrow will close when all the conditions are met unless a specific provision is made to delay it. In some closing you may sign a document saying this will happen though sometimes not. Buyer and Seller sign at different times sometimes weeks in advance of the actual close. Seller controls with the deed. Buyer controls with funding.

I even know of a case where it closed after the escrow was told not to close it.

So yes it is possible for an escrow to close before the seller is expecting it.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's long past time for this thread to go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
+1
Did you know that you can scroll past this thread and just enjoy other threads while
we enjoy this one...

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Simply untrue. Either buyer or seller can control close and practically their agent. This again differs between states particularly those in the east and west. In general escrow will close when all the conditions are met unless a specific provision is made to delay it. In some closing you may sign a document saying this will happen though sometimes not. Buyer and Seller sign at different times sometimes weeks in advance of the actual close. Seller controls with the deed. Buyer controls with funding.

I even know of a case where it closed after the escrow was told not to close it.

So yes it is possible for an escrow to close before the seller is expecting it.
But you know it's coming. You know you are under contract and it will close around or by a certain day. There is something wrong when an owner does nothing to prepare for a move when their house is under contract.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
But you know it's coming. You know you are under contract and it will close around or by a certain day. There is something wrong when an owner does nothing to prepare for a move when their house is under contract.
Yes you do know it is going to close even if not exactly when.

Read the thread again. OP was all packed up and ready to go. Just hung up by failure of her new place to close.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:58 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:

Read the thread again. OP was all packed up and ready to go. Just hung up by failure of her new place to close.
Read more carefully. The last few responses are in reply to this

Quote:
It seems unlikely that a seller could be unaware that the closing on their house occurred until after they were told it had already happened. Local practices vary but I've never heard of any that didn't include both parties executing documents.

As for the OP, the fact that her new purchase hadn't closed isn't relevant to the timing she is contractually obligated to vacate the house she sold. It's clear from the thread that there was no contingency allowing her to stay indefinitely and the buyers already granted an extension. Presumably they had their own timetable to manage, including most likely having to vacate the house they were previously living in, whether that was due to a sale or to terminating a lease. The OP's issues don't change that, nor the fact that they were the legal owners of the house she is upset at being told she had to vacate. She just assumed that all she had to do was ask for another extension at the last minute and that request would be granted and then took no further action even when her agent said that she could not ask for another extension.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I quoted a post, not from the op. That's what I was referring to.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Houses dont just sell. You have to have a closing and sign paperwork. So you knew the house sold. Why did you need longer than a weekend to move? You knew you were moving.
rodentraiser, even if you signed all of the paperwork in advance it would appear that there had to have been a closing date set to have the correct information in that paperwork. For example, if you signed paperwork June 1st it would only list the prorated property taxes until that date, so if the actual closing took place on July 1st, the paperwork would be off by a month's worth of taxes.

And, if you had the house on the market and a signed offer to purchase, you must have had a strong indication that you would need to move out soon.

(unless I am completely missing something in your post).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate