Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 04:11 PM

11 posts, read 9,445 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Let's say that someone inherited a house (in North Carolina) from a dead parent that still had a mortgage associated with it, and after the estate was settled, that person had his name put on the deed. Let's also assume that the mortgage company was making it difficult for this individual to put the mortgage in his name. Legally speaking, can he sell the house without notifying the mortgage company and keep the entire amount that it sold for? I'm curious because it sounds like the father gave the son a gift while taking on all the debt himself, and now that he's dead, shouldn't his debts die too? Any comments and/or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
No. There is a lien on the property. That must be paid off before title will issue a commitment, and lender will loan on it.

The name on the account could very well be Estate of XXX X. XXXX

Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
I'm highly surprised that the estate could be settled without paying off the mortgage. Normally the mortgage holder would come after the estate for payment in full.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritin-D View Post
... the mortgage company was making it difficult for this individual to put the mortgage in his name. Legally speaking, can he sell the house without notifying the mortgage company and keep the entire amount that it sold for?
No lender will change the name of someone on the mortgage. You have to get your own loan and finance the property in your name. There is no such thing as a "name change" when it comes to mortgages.

There is a lien on the property, so no, you cannot sell a house and keep the funds as there won't be clear title to pass the property to the person buying it.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No lender will change the name of someone on the mortgage. You have to get your own loan and finance the property in your name. There is no such thing as a "name change" when it comes to mortgages...
If someone inherits a house (that has a mortgage associated with it) from a close family member, wouldn't the "Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982" allow the individual to assume the deceased family member's mortgage? If so, wouldn't that in effect change the name on the mortgage?

Old 07-15-2016, 07:17 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Its more complicated than this but........When someone buys real estate, a title search is done to find old mortgages. No bank would allow someone to buy a property without paying off the old mortgage. So no, you cant sell a house and not pay off the mortgage. Its a debt secured by a house. Dont pay it? The bank takes the house.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
If someone inherits a house (that has a mortgage associated with it) from a close family member, wouldn't the "Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act of 1982" allow the individual to assume the deceased family member's mortgage? If so, wouldn't that in effect change the name on the mortgage?
If the person who inherited the house is going to live in the house, the mortgage holder can't enforce a "due on sale" clause. That's technically different than changing the name on the mortgage, but so long as payments are kept up it shouldn't be a problem. If the estate had other assets, however, why wasn't the mortgage paid off?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:05 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
No. I suspect you're confused by the part of this Act that allows a homeowner to put the home into a trust (typically, a living trust) and not start the due on sale clause of a mortgage.

Assuming this is your dead father and your inheritance, I strongly suggest you stop playing amateur attorney and consult the probate attorney and/or executor of the estate. And uf dad is stikk brwathing, I'd suggest you stop counting your chickens before they've hatched.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its more complicated than this but........When someone buys real estate, a title search is done to find old mortgages. No bank would allow someone to buy a property without paying off the old mortgage. So no, you cant sell a house and not pay off the mortgage. Its a debt secured by a house. Dont pay it? The bank takes the house.
Thank you. That was helpful.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If the person who inherited the house is going to live in the house, the mortgage holder can't enforce a "due on sale" clause. That's technically different than changing the name on the mortgage, but so long as payments are kept up it shouldn't be a problem. If the estate had other assets, however, why wasn't the mortgage paid off?
I don't know why the mortgage wasn't paid off. It wasn't my father. I was just asking on behalf of a friend.
With that being said, your response was helpful too. I really appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate