Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 01:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times

Advertisements

I've seen mixed information about this from one site to another. Tenant here in Washington, with lease. Moving to Texas. Damaged the carpet, tub and sink. Can I still file suit against her here in WA and have a process server serve her in Texas?

If not that, I'm told (according to the tenant unions web site regurgitation of the laws) I can even just send her to collections. She doesn't have the money to pay the bill and the deposit will not cover the damages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
I've seen mixed information about this from one site to another. Tenant here in Washington, with lease. Moving to Texas. Damaged the carpet, tub and sink. Can I still file suit against her here in WA and have a process server serve her in Texas?

If not that, I'm told (according to the tenant unions web site regurgitation of the laws) I can even just send her to collections. She doesn't have the money to pay the bill and the deposit will not cover the damages.
No reputable collections will take it without a court ordered judgement. Even if they did take it they just need to dispute it and you would have to prove the bill was correct which could be very tricky. If they don't have the money what do you expect to get for wasting your time and money?

Basically you sue and have to have proof they were served in order to go to court. You can spend a couple hundred on out of state process servers. You will get to court then get a default judgement if they no show but you still have to collect on that. For the cost of $100-$500 you become the proud owner of a worthless piece of paper aka a legal IOU.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
No reputable collections will take it without a court ordered judgement. Even if they did take it they just need to dispute it and you would have to prove the bill was correct which could be very tricky. If they don't have the money what do you expect to get for wasting your time and money?

Basically you sue and have to have proof they were served in order to go to court. You can spend a couple hundred on out of state process servers. You will get to court then get a default judgement if they no show but you still have to collect on that. For the cost of $100-$500 you become the proud owner of a worthless piece of paper aka a legal IOU.
Which is a business expense for me...Plus that's worth the price of putting it on their record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate