Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:42 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
West Cary, where the market is hot, although this price range is a bit more deliberate...

View Listings

MLS yielded 40 Active listings between $600,000 and $750,000.
Lots of 3 car garages. I didn't look for utility rooms, just wanted to get this out.
Only 12 of the 40 offered a floor plan in the photos, which is the only place a consumer will see the floorplan on an IDX site, or on Z, T, or R.com.
I really don't understand why builders don't have their listing agency or marketing department put a floorplan in photos. It isn't like they don't have one in hand.
Some agents will bury the floorplan in the online documents, which means the agent can look for it, and forward it to a client. That is clumsier and poorer marketing, IMO, than just plugging it into one of the allowed 25 MLS photos.
I also always put it into my photo tour, either as a photo, or in a link that my tour provider presents to consumers on the "Details" page. I prefer in the photos, but sometimes it doesn't render well.
Thank you. Very interesting. The first few I chose to look at had nearly all bedrooms upstairs, and I'm a downstairs-kinda person (unless maybe if there is a built-in elevator). I will look more this weekend to see what is offered there in Cary. I love the side load three car garages, but would prefer the driveway be gated, unless the entire community is gated. I actually thought the homes would be less expensive, but some of the lots are huge (to thrilled that one was almost entirely grass, like a soccer field of grass, with no developed landscaping within the property line.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Thank you. Very interesting. The first few I chose to look at had nearly all bedrooms upstairs, and I'm a downstairs-kinda person (unless maybe if there is a built-in elevator). I will look more this weekend to see what is offered there in Cary. I love the side load three car garages, but would prefer the driveway be gated, unless the entire community is gated. I actually thought the homes would be less expensive, but some of the lots are huge (to thrilled that one was almost entirely grass, like a soccer field of grass, with no developed landscaping within the property line.)
Gotta watch the side loads...
They are a nod to esthetic, hide the garage doors, over function on a small lot. Many require a three point turn in even a medium sized car to enter and exit because there just isn't enough driveway to smoothly turn in.

And, Cary has no gated communities. By regulation, for emergency vehicles.
I don't know what an HOA would say about gating your driveway. You could do it on one of the properties that is not in a newer, HOA community, but they are less common.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Gotta watch the side loads...
They are a nod to esthetic, hide the garage doors, over function on a small lot. Many require a three point turn in even a medium sized car to enter and exit because there just isn't enough driveway to smoothly turn in.

And, Cary has no gated communities. By regulation, for emergency vehicles.
I don't know what an HOA would say about gating your driveway. You could do it on one of the properties that is not in a newer, HOA community, but they are less common.
The side load garage is not major, I just love the way it looks from the street. It's definitely not a deal breaker, though, especially when the lots there are so narrow (and so close to next door neighbors that you can see their houses from inside yours and they can look into one's backyard. We have near total privacy now (all single stories with solid fences) and we don' want to give that up.

Having looked at the list of properties to which you linked, I don't find anything I like in that price range. I prefer homes that are lower and wider, with at least 2,200 sq. ft on the main floor and no need to go to upper floors except for supplementary activities (mostly storage, physical recreation like table tennis, as I saw in one property).

Fantastic landscaping (that has already been done and is somewhat mature) is also something I would really like.

Is it common in NC to have nearly all bedrooms on the upper floors?

The average age of Cary is younger than I would prefer, anyway, at 33 or something like that. That sounds like a lot of young families, not our demographic, though we aren't looking for a senior community, unless it is extraordinary.

Also, the property crime rate is higher there than it is here. How do you compare Cary to Chapel Hill (overall, not just crime rate)?

Thank you very much, anyway.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
The side load garage is not major, I just love the way it looks from the street. It's definitely not a deal breaker, though. Having looked at the list of properties to which you linked, I don't find anything I like in that price range. I prefer homes that are lower and wider, with at least 2,200 sq. ft on the main floor and no need to go to upper floors except for supplementary activities (mostly storage, physical recreation like table tennis, as I saw in one property).

Fantastic landscaping (that has already been done) is also something I would really like.

The average age of Cary is younger than I would prefer, anyway at 33 or something like that.

People with small children, babies, want to be on the same level.
When they turn 11-12, putting the kids on a second floor and having a main level master gets more desirable.

Main level masters are a hot item in the area.
I recently sold a listing. Sellers told me we were overpriced by comps.
I clicked my heels together and said, "You have a main level master. You have a main level master. You have a main level master."
3 times.
We sold the first or second day, paid $3500 in buyer closing costs, and the sellers gross was $500 over list price.
Hot item.
We have one. And 3 more bedrooms on the second floor. I think it would be an easy sale, if I put some money into landscaping, which is in the plans.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
I have been in 3 homes in the last couple of weeks where the main floor half bath opened directly into the kitchen.
We would not have gone to any had we seen a floorplan with that detail.
Good point.

That's just gross.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
The side load garage is not major, I just love the way it looks from the street. It's definitely not a deal breaker, though, especially when the lots there are so narrow (and so close to next door neighbors that you can see their houses from inside yours and they can look into one's backyard. We have near total privacy now (all single stories with solid fences) and we don' want to give that up.

Having looked at the list of properties to which you linked, I don't find anything I like in that price range. I prefer homes that are lower and wider, with at least 2,200 sq. ft on the main floor and no need to go to upper floors except for supplementary activities (mostly storage, physical recreation like table tennis, as I saw in one property).

Fantastic landscaping (that has already been done and is somewhat mature) is also something I would really like.

The average age of Cary is younger than I would prefer, anyway, at 33 or something like that. That sounds like a lot of young families, not our demographic, though we aren't looking for a senior community, unless it is extraordinary.

Also, the property crime rate is higher there than it is here. How do you compare Cary to Chapel Hill (overall, not just crime rate)?

Whoops. Didn't fully answer.

Cary is definitely Suburbia. Well done Suburbia. A bit cookie cutter, for sure. Good schools = young families.
Crime is very low, and I am always surprised that our crime rate, in any measurement area, is noticeably higher than somewhere else.
Commonly moderate in political polls.

Chapel Hill is a university town, and also famous as the most left-leaning, liberal town in the state. People seek the Chapel Hill/Carboro locale for the socio-political environment.

Cary embraces growth, as long as the builders meet the cookie-cutter town standards, which tend to mesh with mass market tastes.
Cary will annex new development into town on a regular basis, at developer request and with town standards met.
Chapel Hill is 1/3 the population of Cary, proudly throttles growth, and combined with a limited tax base and high level of town services and regulation, enjoys one of the highest property tax rates in the region.
I wouldn't know about crime stats in Chapel Hill, but CD probably has them somewhere.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Whoops. Didn't fully answer.

Cary is definitely Suburbia. Well done Suburbia. A bit cookie cutter, for sure. Good schools = young families.
Crime is very low, and I am always surprised that our crime rate, in any measurement area, is noticeably higher than somewhere else.
Commonly moderate in political polls.

Chapel Hill is a university town, and also famous as the most left-leaning, liberal town in the state. People seek the Chapel Hill/Carboro locale for the socio-political environment.

Cary embraces growth, as long as the builders meet the cookie-cutter town standards, which tend to mesh with mass market tastes.
Cary will annex new development into town on a regular basis, at developer request and with town standards met.
Chapel Hill is 1/3 the population of Cary, proudly throttles growth, and combined with a limited tax base and high level of town services and regulation, enjoys one of the highest property tax rates in the region.
I wouldn't know about crime stats in Chapel Hill, but CD probably has them somewhere.
Thank you again for more clarification. (I tried to rep you again, but C-D won't permit it.)

Cary demographics and house design don't sound appropriate for us. We definitely don't care for cookie-cutter homes that are designed for young families. Just one master suite downstairs is not enough. We want the majority of square footage on the main floor. We also don't want to be taxed heavily for those "good schools" as we move forward on mostly fixed income.

Have you noticed that City-Data's stats regarding market prices have not been updated in over a year? Does anyone know why?

I love towns that limit growth and are mostly built-out already, with mature landscaping. They tend to have more traditional floorpans, too. I despise the open concept homes that have nearly no walls. (I have artwork to display, plus I like the sound-deadening nature and food-odor-containing nature of walls, too.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
you can get real, reliable market stat updates from the Triangle MLS anytime you want.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you again for more clarification. (I tried to rep you again, but C-D won't permit it.)

Cary demographics and house design don't sound appropriate for us. We definitely don't care for cookie-cutter homes that are designed for young families. Just one master suite downstairs is not enough. We want the majority of square footage on the main floor. We also don't want to be taxed heavily for those "good schools" as we move forward on mostly fixed income.

Have you noticed that City-Data's stats regarding market prices have not been updated in over a year? Does anyone know why?

I love towns that limit growth and are mostly built-out already, with mature landscaping. They tend to have more traditional floorpans, too. I despise the open concept homes that have nearly no walls. (I have artwork to display, plus I like the sound-deadening nature and food-odor-containing nature of walls, too.
You want to be in MacGregor Downs or Lochmere in Cary.
Much more traditional opportunities, and you can pour money into them to personalize without too much worry.
Our taxes are not too terrible.
About 1 mil or less. Cary has a nice tax base and good fiscal management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate