Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Whereas we cut down an oak tree between us and and have a joint garden in that area. Harvesting tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, parsley...

We love living next door to our neighbors. I would encourage the OP to meet the neighbors and decide whether living next to them is going to be a joy or a trial based on who they are rather than how they go about moving in.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 03:08 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Putting garbage in a garage in the middle of summer? That sounds kind of smelly to me. And if they put their garbage in the garage, where are they supposed to put the stuff they need to store there? We stored a lot of stuff in our garage because we were going to be doing some work in the house right off the bat.

I do think these neighbors are going to drive you crazy, as will others. You aren't used to living in a neighborhood with kids as neighbors and a new neighborhood is likely to be full of them.

That said, my kids behavior was heinous when we moved. You don't know if this is a local move for the kids, if they have to change schools and have no friends right now....all of that is stressful for children, particularly the 13 year old who may be facing a new middle school experience, not a fun age for that.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:46 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
there are kids, that what s kids do, everywhere

Old 07-30-2016, 05:10 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I'm guessing that you don't have kids?

So if I were that family and I had a non-lived in, under construction home next door, I wouldn't worry about putting boxes and other things I intend to haul to recycling outside, at all. I would be thinking that because no one lives next door yet, that they won't be bothered by my trash at this time. It would give me the entire garage to fill with boxes and then move them into the house one by one keeping the house from being total chaos. It takes a couple of days to unpack.

I would also be all about my kids getting out from underneath me so that I could unpack faster and not listen to their whining. While it is unfortunate they were on your property, kids can't be POTUS because they aren't known for their stellar judgment. It is what kids do. Clearly, the kid knew his behavior wasn't okay so mom and dad have instilled manners in their child. They probably didn't think about it as someone's house since it is still under construction.

The dog is probably not typically locked in the garage, but it is now because it is a new area and they are unpacking. They can't pay attention to their dog while they are doing that. It is likely their dog is going to not get enough exercise for the next couple of days while they get unpacked. The dog doesn't know you so will bark at you until they know who you are.

So what you should do depends on what kind of empathy you have for other people during stressful days.

Last edited by Silverfall; 07-30-2016 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Should have clarified. We are buying the model home, it is already built. So it is the most finished of the houses with nice landscaping. I would think the builders would be upset about trash next to their model home and kids riding around on the new sod as well.

We did not see the dog. Their garage door was open and not full of stuff but didn't go around to peek in. May have been kenneled in there. Just barking at the sounds of us in the driveway. We are dog owners ourselves so don't mind the sounds of a dog. Just that the kids yelling at it from a distance away wasn't exactly going to help calm him.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Putting garbage in a garage in the middle of summer? That sounds kind of smelly to me. And if they put their garbage in the garage, where are they supposed to put the stuff they need to store there? We stored a lot of stuff in our garage because we were going to be doing some work in the house right off the bat.

I do think these neighbors are going to drive you crazy, as will others. You aren't used to living in a neighborhood with kids as neighbors and a new neighborhood is likely to be full of them.

That said, my kids behavior was heinous when we moved. You don't know if this is a local move for the kids, if they have to change schools and have no friends right now....all of that is stressful for children, particularly the 13 year old who may be facing a new middle school experience, not a fun age for that.
Its likely paper garbage from boxes and no one lives in the house next door yet so who is it hurting?

Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM

119 posts, read 104,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
... and there is one autistic kid who likes to throw rocks at our house and has damaged the siding.. .
OT but I can't let it lie there: the child's neurological disability has no correlation to throwing rocks. No need to mention the diagnosis. A child throwing rocks - neurological, rich, poor, brunette, good at math - doesn't matter, it's annoying. (Perhaps you are thinking that a child on the spectrum can't be taught not to do that? Not true (or, if not, then I would keep my child inside or on the other side of our home away from the target), so I'd say " a child whose parents let him/her throw rocks at our house.") (you can guess why I'm sensitive on this!)

On topic: it's the luck of the draw with neighbors. And they can move in and out at any time. I'd move where the yards are larger if I didn't want to hear kids. Fwiw I do live in a small yard area with lots of kids, but every one is gone all day including weekends at school and activities. Rarely see anyone in yards.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
That was the reason the parent gave. Wouldn't know otherwise. But yes, parents fault for not preventing it.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:48 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,148,141 times
We moved from NJ to FL last fall and had tons of boxes (3 stacks, 6' high) which I broke down, cut up and stored in the garage until I had time to haul it off to the recycling yard. No way would I ever think about putting that stuff on the side of the house. Not looking for a medal here but I was simply trying to be a normal considerate home owner.

As the OP mentioned, the mentality of someone storing/stacking garbage on the side of the house leads me to believe they'll do the same in the future. Hope that's not the case for the OP's sake...

Old 07-30-2016, 07:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
We moved from NJ to FL last fall and had tons of boxes (3 stacks, 6' high) which I broke down, cut up and stored in the garage until I had time to haul it off to the recycling yard. No way would I ever think about putting that stuff on the side of the house. Not looking for a medal here but I was simply trying to be a normal considerate home owner.

As the OP mentioned, the mentality of someone storing/stacking garbage on the side of the house leads me to believe they'll do the same in the future. Hope that's not the case for the OP's sake...
But no one even lives in the house next door! Honestly, who cares. If it isn't gone in a week or so, then be concerned. I also kept my boxes inside while unpacking and parked out of the garage. But I could see if I didn't have a neighbor to one side that would have been an even better option. My HOA would poo their pants if I did that, neighbor or not, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate