Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:58 PM

467 posts, read 1,044,874 times

Advertisements

I recently put a full price offer in on a home. Included in my offer was a preapproval letter indicating I was working with a reputable lender and that I was putting approximately 75% of the purchase price down. In other words, a very solid offer.

Unfortunately, the seller and her agent chose a different buyer's offer. I don't have the exact specifics, but this buyer is putting very little down and offered $10,000 more than the asking price. Now, this buyer is having issues securing financing and the appraisal came in below their offered price.

I am wondering if this is a tactic used in a sellers market where a buyer rushes in and offers more than the asking price just to have their offer accepted first...even though their financing is shaky and it's likely the house will appraise low.

I have a backup offer that is now being considered, and I have my fingers crossed. I'm just a little miffed that a solid buyer like myself was moved into 2nd position because the other buyer is playing these "games."

Is this some kind of sleazy tactic a buyer will use just to get their offer accepted first??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Just the reality of a seller's market. With how hot the Vancouver, WA market there are above asking cash offers put in same day the place is listed. Competing with that is tough.

Seller just wanted the most money for the property. Now that they know the appraisal number they know what that is unless they can get someone to cough up cash on top of that, which is also happening here.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:10 PM

43,274 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Some buyers might.
It is an expensive gambit if one is playing a game.
But, did the appraiser do a good job? Is the appraisal opinion reasonable?

Plenty of sales are closing at 5% and 10% down, and even at 100% funding.
While your offer was strong, if the other offer was well-crafted it would appeal to most sellers.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:16 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
Sellers don't really care where the money comes from. If they get more money, they will take that offer; and I don't blame them.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:39 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
Sure it's a tactic. And it might not have worked because there is nothing that says the buyer has to take the highest dollar offer.

If it were me I might have taken your offer instead.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
If there is financing on both offers it is no concern of mine how much they are putting down. I would take the higher offer.

If you were cash I might take yours over the $10,000 higher offer with financing.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
>If there is financing on both offers it is no concern of mine how much they are putting down. I would take the higher offer.

Not me, not necessarily. A buyer that can demonstrate enough cash for a large down payment is more likely to get a mortgage...because LTV is more favorable...there is more buffer in case of a low appraisal...

Before taking any offer I ask...who are the buyers...what do they do for a living...do they seem to be stable jobs...how old...is it a first house...

I don't want a letter about their emotional state, I want to be sure of their financial state.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
I don't think it's sleazy. I think it's smart. I am in a sellers market, and recently got 2 offers over asking price and one just at asking price. I have no idea if my agent told the 2 higher ones what the others were, or if it was just a coincidence. It sucks for a buyer, but that's just the way it is in the current market here.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
I recently put a full price offer in on a home. Included in my offer was a preapproval letter indicating I was working with a reputable lender and that I was putting approximately 75% of the purchase price down. In other words, a very solid offer.

Unfortunately, the seller and her agent chose a different buyer's offer. I don't have the exact specifics, but this buyer is putting very little down and offered $10,000 more than the asking price. Now, this buyer is having issues securing financing and the appraisal came in below their offered price.

I am wondering if this is a tactic used in a sellers market where a buyer rushes in and offers more than the asking price just to have their offer accepted first...even though their financing is shaky and it's likely the house will appraise low.

I have a backup offer that is now being considered, and I have my fingers crossed. I'm just a little miffed that a solid buyer like myself was moved into 2nd position because the other buyer is playing these "games."

Is this some kind of sleazy tactic a buyer will use just to get their offer accepted first??
I doubt it was a sleazy tactic, I just think the buyer really wanted this house. Probably they were aware there were multiple offers and they decided to go high to improve the odds they would get the house. Quite possibly they've recently lost other houses to competing buyers who bid more than full price so this time they went over asking to improve their odds. I also doubt they knew they would have difficulty obtaining financing - usually buyers are taken by surprise when this happens. Even when it seems like they should have known they would have issues usually buyers seem to have no clue.

Unfortunately you're in a sellers market and things like this are going to happen. It seems like there's a good chance you will end up with this house anyway; if not at least you're in a financial position to be able to bid above asking the next time around.

As to what offers a seller will take - it depends on how savvy they are, how greedy they are, and how desperately they need the sale to close by a certain date. Some will take the highest dollar amount without considering the details. Some will be smart enough to know that highest isn't always best and consider other details besides price. Some will take a lower all cash offer just to insure that the sale closes quickly. In your situation, there probably wasn't much risk to the seller to take the higher offer because they have at least one other offer (probably multiple other offers) in line if the first doesn't work out and they obviously aren't under a significant time pressure to sell.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I doubt it was a sleazy tactic, I just think the buyer really wanted this house. Probably they were aware there were multiple offers and they decided to go high to improve the odds they would get the house. Quite possibly they've recently lost other houses to competing buyers who bid more than full price so this time they went over asking to improve their odds. I also doubt they knew they would have difficulty obtaining financing - usually buyers are taken by surprise when this happens. Even when it seems like they should have known they would have issues usually buyers seem to have no clue.

If they have a decent agent they should have a clue. I always got my buyers at least pre-qualified. Just to prevent my time being wasted if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate