Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 07:21 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Investment View Post
If I rent an apartment and determine I don't like living there, I can bail out at the end of the 6 month or year lease and strike it up to experience. But if I buy a house and don't like it, then I am stuck. If you include the closing costs of the home purchase and the sale, you are talking about big money. Assuming a 3% increase in the value of your home, after paying all your real estate and moving costs, it would take at least three years to break even if you wanted to move out of a house you bought but did not like.

Have you taken a big loss on a house you bought simply because you had to move quickly right after buying it? Tell us more!
No. I would "make it work." The reasons you bought the house still exist, even though some reasons to dislike it may pop up.

If you buy the location you want, and you get the main things in your "must have" list, and you get the size of lot you want...that should be it.

BTW...I never moved out of an apartment because I didn't like it. I always rented and bought for location, and certain things I needed in the apartment or house, and then I just stayed there. Never crossed my mind to move. It costs too much to move, even if you rent. There will ALWAYS be things to dislike about your new place. Or new car. Or new coat. Or new shoes. I don't go through life expecting perfection and seeking to replace everything, hoping it's greener on that other side of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Yup, did all this. Bought the house during the summer and found out our street was a cut through for parents dropping their kids off at the private school up on a main road around the corner. So at 7 AM and 3 PM during the school year, they would race through our neighborhood and block our driveways if we needed to get out. We stayed there for 14 years because we liked the house, but had I known it was a cut through street, I would never have purchased it.
Yes, the school thing is a problem. I've bypassed good houses that upon research (I'm looking out of town) indicate it's a school area. A school within a block or two, "school zone" signs, house descriptions that say school within walking distance, and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate