Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I'm just trying to get a feel for the Real Estate Market this year and I'm looking for responses that are mainly BRIEF and to the POINT ! (I'm also kindly asking Realtors to NOT post in this thread please )

1) Please post if you are planning to SELL your home? When (spring, summer, fall, or currently listed)? And whether or not you will go with a Realtor or FSBO? Also let us know the city and state, if you feel comfortable doing so .

Currently for sale in the St. George, UT area. We have a good agent, who helped us buy this house, have been on the market since early October, have had quite a few buyers come look, two lousy offers, one was to rent/lease for 3 years with only 10,000 down and us carry the loan at 6%..they can only put 10,000 down cuz they want to put in a pool..say what! plus they have 5 kids...that scenario screws us because our money is tied up for 3 years...we would have to rent somewhere...and my house would be trashed (we met the kids, take my word for it) the 2nd offer was for 125,000 less than our asking price, which was ridiculous in our market.

2) Next, please let us know if you are planning to BUY after you sell; prior to selling; or have no home to sell prior to buying? Will you use a Realtor to buy or go it alone? Again, where are you looking to buy (don't answer this if you do not want to )!

We are going to buy in this area when we sell, we are downsizing in size and price, we are retired and this is too much house for us. we will use our current agent.

3) If you are selling and will not buy another home right away, WHY NOT ? (i.e. is all the MEDIA coverage affecting your buying decisions or has the Mortgage situation affected you negatively, etc.?)

The only reason we would not buy right away is not finding the right place at the right price. We have a little vacation mobile home in WA state we can go to temporarily while we figure it out. Not worried about a mortgage, we are hoping to have a small mortgage after our downpayment.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks in advance for your honest posts !! I'm betting that there are others that want to buy a home, but can't, due to factors other than the Media or waiting for prices to bottom out .

Here are my answers:

1) Selling - Spring - FSBO/Flat Fee - Boise, ID

2) Want to Buy, but uncertain if I will be able to find the right home, at the right price, at the right time once my home sells !!! Will look on my own and only use a Realtor if necessary.

3) Media coverage HAS NOT affected my decisions, but the changes in the Mortgage market definitely have !

On a final note, I could have sold my home last fall except for the domino effect of the 'buyers' not being able to sell their home first ! My theory is that there are still BUYERS out there , but if someone won't buy their home, then they can't buy my home either !!

So 2008 will be a VERY CHALLENGING year due to the DOMINO EFFECT and the MORTGAGE MESS (DEATMM ) in my very knowledgeable, but humble opinion !
Yes. this is going to be a very challenging year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,443 times
1) Yes,we are selling and listing within the month. We are using an agent to assist us with the sale.

2.) n/a

3) We aren't buying right away in the new city. It's speculated that this transfer will only be 12 - 18 months.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,529 times
Anybody who buys this year better have the financial ability to withstand a >20% decline in the value of their purchase.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
Anybody who buys this year better have the financial ability to withstand a >20% decline in the value of their purchase.
There are no facts to back up this statement just doom and gloom conjecture seemingly meant to foment anger.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:58 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Talking SPRING has officially SPRUNG!!!!

Anyone else plan on BUYING or SELLING this year ?????

Quote:
I'm just trying to get a feel for the Real Estate Market this year and I'm looking for responses that are mainly BRIEF and to the POINT ! (I'm also kindly asking Realtors to NOT post in this thread please )

1) Please post if you are planning to SELL your home? When (spring, summer, fall, or currently listed)? And whether or not you will go with a Realtor or FSBO? Also let us know the city and state, if you feel comfortable doing so .

2) Next, please let us know if you are planning to BUY after you sell; prior to selling; or have no home to sell prior to buying? Will you use a Realtor to buy or go it alone? Again, where are you looking to buy (don't answer this if you do not want to )!

3) If you are selling and will not buy another home right away, WHY NOT ? (i.e. is all the MEDIA coverage affecting your buying decisions or has the Mortgage situation affected you negatively, etc.?)

Thanks in advance for your honest posts !! I'm betting that there are others that want to buy a home, but can't, due to factors other than the Media or waiting for prices to bottom out .

Here are my answers:

1) Selling - Spring - FSBO/Flat Fee - Boise, ID

2) Want to Buy, but uncertain if I will be able to find the right home, at the right price, at the right time once my home sells !!! Will look on my own and only use a Realtor if necessary.

3) Media coverage HAS NOT affected my decisions, but the changes in the Mortgage market definitely have !

On a final note, I could have sold my home last fall except for the domino effect of the 'buyers' not being able to sell their home first ! My theory is that there are still BUYERS out there , but if someone won't buy their home, then they can't buy my home either !!

So 2008 will be a VERY CHALLENGING year due to the DOMINO EFFECT and the MORTGAGE MESS (DEATMM ) in my very knowledgeable, but humble opinion !
Quote:
4) If you are selling and buying, are you buying UP? or DOWN?
(for example: Sales price of your current home = $500K; New home purchase price = $300K - therefore you are buying DOWN )

I will be buying : DOWN ! Hoping to halfsize my home and mortgage !!! WOOHOO !

Old 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,182 times
We have our condo listed in Owings Mills Md (Baltimore suburb) at $218k. It is with a Realtor. We plant to buy IF we find what we like in our price range in Columbia MD (between Baltimore & Washington) ~$300k. We are buying up - going from a 2br2bth condo to a 3 or 4 br sfh because we have 2 kids and plan on 1 more. Also, a better school system for the kids and for me to teach. Oh, we plan to use the same Realtor for both.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There are no facts to back up this statement just doom and gloom conjecture seemingly meant to foment anger.
You've got to be kidding me. We're in the process of deflating the biggest real estate bubble in the history of our nation. Americans are saddled with more debt than ever before. Our country is in a recession. The FED is attempting to inflate away our problems by devaluing the dollar. Yeah, sounds like the environment is just right for prices to shoot up!

Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_1979 View Post
You've got to be kidding me. We're in the process of deflating the biggest real estate bubble in the history of our nation. Americans are saddled with more debt than ever before. Our country is in a recession. The FED is attempting to inflate away our problems by devaluing the dollar. Yeah, sounds like the environment is just right for prices to shoot up!
No I'm not kidding. I'm not ignorant to the financial issues of today but to say everyone who buys this year is looking at a 20% loss is not a rational statement nor one to be take seriously. Is there and will there be losses this year? Without question. Will people who buy this year lose 20%? I highly doubt it unless they buy AND sell this year. Runing around screaming the sky is falling does no one any good, instead it makes the screamer look like a loon.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:51 PM

218 posts, read 708,387 times
My wife & I R hoping 4 a first time buy in Palmdale Calif.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No I'm not kidding. I'm not ignorant to the financial issues of today but to say everyone who buys this year is looking at a 20% loss is not a rational statement nor one to be take seriously. Is there and will there be losses this year? Without question. Will people who buy this year lose 20%? I highly doubt it unless they buy AND sell this year. Runing around screaming the sky is falling does no one any good, instead it makes the screamer look like a loon.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate