Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:06 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,319,104 times

Advertisements

How do I get land?
I don't want to buy it from a seller.
I just want to drive down a rural road and say I want from here to there.

Someone might own on it but on the off chance that no one owns it... then who owns it? The government?

How do I buy land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,223,536 times
Unfortunately land is divided into parcels which aren't easily reconfigured to suit. All land is owned by someone whether a private owner or a branch of the US Government. From time to time the US Government will sell what they regard as surplus property in a sealed bid auction. In my part of the world, the Bureau of Land Management owns some of the ugliest and unusable land around.

Any rural real estate agency can help you find a piece of ground that suits your requirements. If you came to me and said I found a piece of ground I want to buy, I could look up the owners name in about 20 seconds and put an offer together for you in 20 minutes. Whether the owner wants to become a seller is up to them.

I don't understand your comment about not wanting to buy land from a seller. It takes a seller to have a buyer.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:29 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,319,104 times
I basically don't want to have to haggle with a "person." If that makes anymore sense lol. I was thinking maybe most/some of the [semi]rural unused land is government owned and one could just go to an office say the latitude and longitude (or whatever) and get some land for a predetermined rate.

Nothing is easy anymore

Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,930,864 times
Ultimately, land is owned by the people who have the most influence to establish the claim, whether by money or power.

For those who believe that the land they "own" is indeed theirs, tell me that when the space it occupies is better suited for the "greater good" or in a Mad Max situation.

Unlikely scenarios, but just a thought

Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,223,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
I basically don't want to have to haggle with a "person." If that makes anymore sense lol. I was thinking maybe most/some of the [semi]rural unused land is government owned and one could just go to an office say the latitude and longitude (or whatever) and get some land for a predetermined rate.

Nothing is easy anymore
I think most people would be surprised how much land is in private hands in rural areas. In my county, the largest landowner is the US Forest Service (21%) with Sierra Pacific Industries (A very large timber company) a close second. Unimproved private land (including SPI) accounts for 65% of the total area of the county. Existing residential use is only 2.3% of all the land in the county!

Around here, the most common question I get is how much is land per acre. There is no answer to the question. 5 acres can sell for $65,000 to $165,000 depending on how usable it is and how close to power it might be.

It's still easy to buy land Let the real estate agent do the haggling

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,871,515 times
lol. You think dealing with a private person is a hassle? Wait until you try to purchase some of that property from a goverment agency.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Most government land has to be sold by auction if it can be sold.
If certain divisions of government could set a price on the lands, you know that the relative of some division head is going to be getting a sweet deal.
The GSA, US Marshall, IRS all have land for auction.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 17,900 times
Smile Own Land

That would be nice, to just drive down the road and choose what land you want to buy, but sad to say, it doesn't always work that way. Occasionally there are places that are uninhabited like most of West Texas, that a person can do that in.
Otherwise, there is not any land left, that someone does not own, whether its a private individual, a company, or the government or the state.

Quote:
How do I get land?
I don't want to buy it from a seller.
I just want to drive down a rural road and say I want from here to there.

Someone might own on it but on the off chance that no one owns it... then who owns it? The government?

How do I buy land?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM

424 posts, read 2,334,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
lol. You think dealing with a private person is a hassle? Wait until you try to purchase some of that property from a goverment agency.
I agree. I don't think it's easy or sometimes even possible to buy the gov'ts land. Oftentimes it's public land for a reason like that (protected space, nat'l forest, etc), right? Buy land from "a person," it's not so bad.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:55 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
Quote:

Nothing is easy anymore
East of the MS most land is privately owned. West of the MS, several states have large amounts of government land, but since the 1970's (80's in Alaska), the government has had a policy of generally not giving away or selling it, with few exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate