Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 08:53 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasABigMistake View Post
Thanks. Its a chapel and not a church. Their website says they have sunday services at 10 am and then some smaller classes in a room in evenings. I am guessing very few people since its in a small room.
Many churches allow community groups (boy scouts, girl scouts, etc. plus elections) to make use of their space - worth checking into.

Also, you mention that "there are no bells." That does not mean that they are not playing recordings of bells on exterior speakers. We have a church in our community that does that - various times daily - that is loud enough to hear of four lanes of heavily-traffic a couple of blocks away.

Also, research whether the church leadership has discussed expansion, as another here posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
And just because it's a chapel and not a church does NOT mean it's not busy. There's a chapel here that's part of a college on a lake. That place has more visitors than a shelter has cats. It's packed with weddings almost every weekend in the summer. It's ridiculously popular.Traffic around it has been an issue.

You should also see what their future plans are. Some have big plans for new buildings, new parking lots, etc. Definitely something to check on!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:37 AM

455 posts, read 463,930 times
I live on the entrance to a subdivision. Diagonally opposite is a branch library. Next to it is a temple. A quarter of a mile away there are two other churches. None of these is a problem except on Easter Sunday when people may park in front of my house. And I am certainly not going to complain about people going to church once a year.

One of the churches which borders our subdivision has approached our HOA about expanding. So, the earlier comment about that possibility is something you should consider. Drive through this neighborhood. If you see someone walking their dog or working in their yard, stop, introduce yourself and ask them about the church as well as how well the HOA functions. Be wary of just one opinion. You might wind up talking to either the president of the HOA or the neighborhood's biggest violator.

I encourage all home buyers to do this BEFORE you go under contract. I recently had some buyer clients who fell in love with a house only to rule it out when they talked to a few neighbors and discovered they were not compatible with that HOA's rules. Fortunately, I had not started writing up the offer.

Yes, you should be able to get a copy of an HOA's CCR's but that's usually after you've put down a nonrefundable option check of several hundred dollars.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
My house is directly across the street from a small non-denominational church, and less than a half mile in one direction to a LDS church and less than a half mile in another direction from a large Catholic church. The only one that is any bother is the Catholic church, because they take up all the street parking (but it is not that close to my house, so no big deal, and because they sometimes ring bells, but only once a month or so (not sure why), so again, no big deal.

The one across the street from me has changed ownership several times, but usually has Saturday service, and only a few dozen people show up, who all fit in the lot. A few times (in the 13 years I've lived here), they've had other events there, like a garage sale, or a car show. But really rarely.

So I would say it strongly depends on the church.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:48 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We just had a church built on the corner by the entry to our neighborhood. It is quiet and well kept. Considering the less desireable businesses that could have been built there, it is great. Lots of cars on Sunday,and Wed. night, but that's it.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
One of the churches which borders our subdivision has approached our HOA about expanding. So, the earlier comment about that possibility is something you should consider. Drive through this neighborhood. If you see someone walking their dog or working in their yard, stop, introduce yourself and ask them about the church as well as how well the HOA functions. Be wary of just one opinion. You might wind up talking to either the president of the HOA or the neighborhood's biggest violator.
...Or a Deacon at the Church.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:17 AM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
The only bad part about a chapel is it's most busy on weekends, when you're most likely to be home. Weddings and funerals on Saturday, services on Sunday.

Most other office buildings, on the other hand, are pretty good weekend neighbors.

Plan for cars during events. Maybe you'll hear bells or the choir sometimes.... that part might be nice!

Old 08-17-2016, 01:28 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
OP, keep in mind that church services are no longer limited to Sundays. A lot of churches will have services pretty much every day of the week and if it isn't an actual church service, it is some other service using their space. My sister used to live near a church and it was a nightmare because they would constantly have youth programs and they would play a lot of music extremely loud and nothing could be done about it since a good majority of the chaperones were off duty cops.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
How is that a negative? I live a half block away from several old churches (downtown) and find the steeple and bells - even the parishioners - charming; the nearby train whistle, too!

Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
We lived around the corner from a church. We were in a neighborhood and the church was on a fairly busy main street. Problem was, the Sunday morning and Wednesday evening worshipers would cut through our residential neighborhood with no consideration for the speed limit or the residents who lived there. There were several times that I was almost run down while walking my dogs (there were no sidewalks). I learned very quickly not to walk on those days during church time. I will never live near a church again.

This church also had a private school. The parents of the kids that went there also used our neighborhood as a cut through. There was no backing out of our driveway, unless we cut off traffic, at 7 AM or 3 PM and 10-15 minutes either side of those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate