Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times

Advertisements

Usually when I go visit open house, I would raise this question to the realtor who represents the seller. Most of the time he/she is muted.

In some cities in Asia, this is a big issue. If the realtor does not disclose it, the buyer can sue on such ground. The reason is simple. There is no way the buyer can get mortgage. Every bank, including U.S. banks like Citi and Chase, have a database of these "spooky" units. And the spookiness depends on the degree of violence of the cause of unnatural death.

For example, if someone "just" committed suicide in the unit, the buyer can still get financing from the bank but the appraised value is usually lower which means the buyer would have trouble in getting enough loans to cover the transaction.

But if there was a homicide in the unit that 5 family members were brutally murdered, no banks or mortgage companies would ever provide any loan.

Sometimes even the adjoining units or even the unit on the upper or lower floors will be affected. For example, if someone committed suicide by jumping off the balcony on the floor above yours, definitely the new buyer would have a nightmare staring out of the balcony during night time. So this unit's value diminished to some degrees.

I am curious that so many potential buyers in U.S. are interested in many properties which are 50, 70, 100 or 120 years old. Aren't they ever worried that someone had died unnaturally in the premises?

My wife is really scared about this aspect though.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 08-24-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
So, when it comes time to pick a nursing home, you guys might have issues.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:42 PM

55 posts, read 60,363 times
This is a personal issue a person has with a house or unit. There is no database of "spookiness" or anything of that manner that affects the value of a home. It could affect your personal value of it, but an appraiser is going to do their job just the same as always.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Many seniors passed away in the nursing homes. But those are considered "natural death".

If an old folk passed away during sleep in the unit, it is considered natural death and the bank will not lower the appraised value.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 08-24-2016 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I am curious that so many potential buyers in U.S. are interested in many properties which are 50, 70, 100 or 120 years old. Aren't they ever worried that someone had died unnaturally in the premises?
Wouldn't bother me. The only thing I would be concerned about is if someone had been murdered there recently and the killer hadn't been caught. If I really liked the house, this probably wouldn't stop me though.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:20 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Many seniors passed away in the nursing homes. But those are considered "natural death".
Nobody really checks them all. If you get ghosts from an unnatural death, why wouldn't you get a ghost if somebody got too much morphine to hurry them along?

Old 08-24-2016, 02:35 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Usually when I go visit open house, I would raise this question to the realtor who represents the seller. Most of the time he/she is muted.

In some cities in Asia, this is a big issue. If the realtor does not disclose it, the buyer can sue on such ground. The reason is simple. There is no way the buyer can get mortgage. Every bank, including U.S. banks like Citi and Chase, have a database of these "spooky" units. And the spookiness depends on the degree of violence of the cause of unnatural death.

For example, if someone "just" committed suicide in the unit, the buyer can still get financing from the bank but the assessment value is usually lower which means the buyer would have trouble in getting enough loans to cover the transaction.

But if there was a homicide in the unit that 5 family members were brutally murdered, no banks or mortgage companies would ever provide any loan.

Sometimes even the adjoining units or even the unit on the upper or lower floors will be affected. For example, if someone committed suicide by jumping off the balcony on the floor above yours, definitely the new buyer would have a nightmare staring out of the balcony during night time. So this unit's value diminished to some degrees.

My wife is really scared about this aspect though.
I think the SELLER has to disclose an UNnatural death. The realtor would know only if the seller discloses it to her/him.

It should be on a form....the disclosure has a general category for disclosures, I think.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
In the US there is no database of spooky houses. Only a few homes, like Jeffrey Dahmer's home, will have a stigma attached to them making them difficult to sell.

People buy old homes here because it isn't an issue in the American culture for the most part. If it is for you, I would just buy new construction homes and not worry about it. In Oregon, there is no spooky death disclosure requirement.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Legally, it varies by state. In Texas, we are not required to disclose a death in a property unless it was caused by the property - that is to say, a dangerous condition of the property that caused the death (oddly built stairs, say, or something wrong with the gas or electric systems, something of that nature). We are not allowed to disclose death by AIDS.

However, I do advise if there's been a death in the house that they disclose it, because the neighbors are certainly going to!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
This subject has been discussed here ad nauseum. To sum up, most people in the US don't care about a death in the house unless the unnatural death was a murder or somehow caused by the house. There's no such thing in the US as a "spooky house" adjustment on an appraisal. As far as disclosure, each state has its own rules about what types of deaths need to be disclosed or if they need to be disclosed at all. Many times, in states that do require disclosure it is only required for a couple of years after the death or it is only required for certain causes of death. In many states, no death disclosure is required at all. You can't sue if your state doesn't require disclosure. If this issue is that important to you, check the rules for the state in which you are purchasing.

Here are some of the most recent threads.

Would you buy/rent a house that had a dead body in it?
Disclosing a person has died in the home.
Would you buy a house if 93 year old original owner died in her sleep at home?
Would person dying in a home discourage you from purchasing?
States that require disclosure of suicide
Listing property where someone was murdered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate