Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:53 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will be putting our home on the market in 6 months. Here's my list. What do I need to add?

1) Search for a top notch real estate agent. Check comps.

2) Search for interior designer/stager to help with paint colors and staging choices.

3) Set aside $15K for updates.

4) Evaluate curb appeal. Plant, prune, paint as needed.

5) Declutter.

6) Complete small repairs. Update lighting and faucets as needed.

7) Update kitchen - cabinet doors, granite countertops

8) Paint interior - neutral, light.

9) Replace worn carpet in living room and entryway with laminate hardwood.

10) Stage.

What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 AM

339 posts, read 664,023 times
If I were you I'd talk to an agent and see if everything on your list is even necessary. If it is a hot market where you are and as a seller you have the upper hand, it may not be worth the time and effort to do a bunch of work if there is low inventory. If you're competing with many other homes at your same price point then that's a different story. But a realtor would know best.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
If I were you I'd talk to an agent and see if everything on your list is even necessary. If it is a hot market where you are and as a seller you have the upper hand, it may not be worth the time and effort to do a bunch of work if there is low inventory. If you're competing with many other homes at your same price point then that's a different story. But a realtor would know best.
Good point.

It is a sellers' market, no doubt about it. However, in checking the homes that sold in our area over the summer, there is a $50K - $70K difference between updated homes of the same vintage and square feet.

The homes that have been updated, sell within days of being on the market. The ones that haven't take an average of one to two months to go under contract.

Our neighborhood appeals to young professional couples and families. Several have paid over the appraisal. It may be that they are simply not interested in the fuss and bother of updating a home.

One thing I've noticed is that the homes that have not been updated often go under contract and then are back on the market in several weeks. Buyer's remorse? Problems revealed during the inspection? No idea. Just an observation.

But I will certainly check with several real estate agents to see if my take on the situation is accurate.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM

347 posts, read 426,757 times
Checking with an area realtor is best, because just replacing some carpet and putting granite in the kitchen isn't going to probably be perceived as making your house updated, especially if there are other things that still need updating.

I live in a sellers market, and the homes that got multiple offers and sold within days had two thing in common they were priced competitively and they were clean. And depending on your price price point having updated mechanicals may be a better investment than granite countertops.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
Checking with an area realtor is best, because just replacing some carpet and putting granite in the kitchen isn't going to probably be perceived as making your house updated, especially if there are other things that still need updating.

I live in a sellers market, and the homes that got multiple offers and sold within days had two thing in common they were priced competitively and they were clean. And depending on your price price point having updated mechanicals may be a better investment than granite countertops.
Good point.

Recent HVAC and new roof this past spring. So those things have been taken care of.

One bathroom has been updated, but other two are not.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
Six months is a long time in the real estate world. Buyers appreciate clean uncluttered and well presented homes.

Don't buy anything you will have to move, unless you need it now.

Go through every room in your house pile things up with donate, trash, and keep. Start now. Do it again in 4 months.

Pack up all offseason items and clothing one month before coming to market. This will help you and your stager.

Two months before market until your house goes under contract, visit every open house in your neighborhood.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:07 AM

339 posts, read 664,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Six months is a long time in the real estate world. Buyers appreciate clean uncluttered and well presented homes.

Don't buy anything you will have to move, unless you need it now.

Go through every room in your house pile things up with donate, trash, and keep. Start now. Do it again in 4 months.

Pack up all offseason items and clothing one month before coming to market. This will help you and your stager.

Two months before market until your house goes under contract, visit every open house in your neighborhood.
This is good advice. Getting rid of things (donate, sell, give to family) and making small improvements that you would be OK spending the money on anyways (assume you can't sell, think how you'd feel if you spent $15k doing little projects that really don't make a difference to you).

Personally when I was buying, new light fixtures didn't make any difference to me. Everyone has different taste. Honestly the same goes for countertops. I preferred old laminate that would give me time to price out and decide exactly what I want to put in down the road. If you replace countertops I'd stick with neutral. Nothing turned me off more than some crazy pattern granite. The house being neutral colors was more important to me and CLEAN. If I saw you were filthy I wasn't interested or would've considered seriously dropping the price. And with paint, I know realtors say "it's only cosmetic"... Yeah but it's expensive (I buy quality paint and rollers), time consuming, and not everyone can paint. I got a quote from a painter to finish some rooms in my house and I was blown away with how expensive it is to hire a professional. So if you have tall ceilings that are painted a dated color (brown, red, sage green, etc) then I'd take the time to paint them now. Gray is very popular now, or as my wife calls it: Greige. Beige gray tones (essentially taupe). Most people will want to paint and pick their own colors but it's a heck of a lot easier for me to paint my kids bedroom over a light beige than it is navy blue or red. If I have to start worrying about patching a million holes, that's also time consuming and a process. So doing things like that could certainly make an impact when trying to sell.

As far as landscaping goes, simple is better. If your yard is a mess with weeds then rip those up and put some fresh mulch down. But I wouldn't go crazy if I were you. But then again I am not a realtor. I'd interview several and see what advice you're given

Good luck

Old 09-11-2016, 02:50 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Looks like we will be putting our home on the market in 6 months. Here's my list. What do I need to add?

1) Search for a top notch real estate agent. Check comps.

2) Search for interior designer/stager to help with paint colors and staging choices.

3) Set aside $15K for updates.

4) Evaluate curb appeal. Plant, prune, paint as needed.

5) Declutter.

6) Complete small repairs. Update lighting and faucets as needed.

7) Update kitchen - cabinet doors, granite countertops

8) Paint interior - neutral, light.

9) Replace worn carpet in living room and entryway with laminate hardwood.

10) Stage.

What am I missing?

Like others said, I would discuss this with any of the real estate people you interview. You might not have to do much of this at all. The bolded things I would do for sure, as they are minor and cost almost nothing.

When my grandmother passed away, they interviewed three real estate companies. The first two were a joke and my dad said they weren't even professional---and these are people vying to sell a home for over a million dollars. Anyway, her kids decided on one company and they said to leave the house alone---don't do anything---you will get multiple offers the way it is and you don't have to waste the time and money you don't have on updates.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Don't forget to trade off cost of improvements vs. anticipated increase in closing price. If it won't pay off in a higher price or less days on market, don't do it.

You always do no cost things like de-clutter. Well, I always do!

And always fix eyesores.

Also remember to leave all curtains drawn and turn on a lot of lights. I think you can skip the background music and freshly baked cookies.

But really, do the trade-off and interview 3-4 Realtors, pick the best one and follow his/her advice.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,186 times
[quote=Bruins3445;45442120]If I were you I'd talk to an agent and see if everything on your list is even necessary. If it is a hot market where you are and as a seller you have the upper hand, it may not be worth the time and effort to do a bunch of work if there is low inventory. If you're competing with many other homes at your same price point then that's a different story. But a realtor would know best.[/QUOTE

My thoughts exactly. OP, you seem organized and methodical; and you very well may need those things. But start with getting a recommendation for a realtor from someone you know and trust and see where that lands you. It could save you lots of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate