Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,692,864 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the insight and wisdom. Between my realtors advice, combined with this forum, I'm think I have decided the following:

My obligation is: broom clean
My best path forward: clean the house now (two weeks before my move) as I have time, when the movers leave, do the following:

Wipe countertops
clean toilets
sweep floors
vacuum carpets
wipe out fridge and oven
sweep garage

All totaled, they may only take an hour with two people given the house will be empty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:22 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,292,931 times
Every time we've moved, we had a professional cleaner come in the day we were loading up the truck. They started in the bathrooms and then went through each room as it got emptied out. Well worth the expense knowing we were leaving it in good condition upon exiting.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Thank you for all the insight and wisdom. Between my realtors advice, combined with this forum, I'm think I have decided the following:

My obligation is: broom clean
My best path forward: clean the house now (two weeks before my move) as I have time, when the movers leave, do the following:

Wipe countertops
clean toilets
sweep floors
vacuum carpets
wipe out fridge and oven
sweep garage

All totaled, they may only take an hour with two people given the house will be empty
I'm glad to see that you take pride in your investment. The list seems adequate.
We removed any litter from the movers...and made sure the house was locked up and all faucets and electric were off. We left a welcome note to the new owners with a brief message of the water and electric. Some might think that was not our "place" to go to such length, yet we loved that home..memories and all. Handing it over with kindness didn't seem that far out of line...Best wishes in your transition.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Most contracts stipulate that properties be completely empty (except for what was agreed to be left behind) and "broom swept" clean.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:10 PM

396 posts, read 434,524 times
What is contract states "professionally cleaned" but it was a full on disaster zone, (mold, cat urine everywhere, white powder lining all kitchen cabinets) just filthy, when you moved in. Is one obligated to get it professionally cleaned if contract states so?

Old 09-15-2016, 06:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,337 times
I had my cleaning lady do a clean like she did for us. Kitchen, bathrooms, vacuum, and the buyer complained that I left a dozen plastic hangers in the hall closet and master bedroom. Not cheap wire, but decent plastic. I'll never go to that extent to clean again.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
If you're moving out prior to walk through and close, don't leave anything that might cause the buyer to throw a fit and hold up closing.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 AM

40 posts, read 35,360 times
I leave things as spotless as possible, and leave a copy of the receipts for both the cleaning and carpet cleaning behind for the buyer/apt complex office so they know what has already been done. That might be enough to save the next people also going to the same expense/effort.

A gift certificate for a cleaning would be a godsend from a realtor.. what a great idea!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brambled View Post
I leave things as spotless as possible, and leave a copy of the receipts for both the cleaning and carpet cleaning behind for the buyer/apt complex office so they know what has already been done. That might be enough to save the next people also going to the same expense/effort.

A gift certificate for a cleaning would be a godsend from a realtor.. what a great idea!
I am with you. I loved my house and I left it spotless for the new owners. Word got back to me that they were impressed with how clean the house was when they moved in. It is called "pride". I always got my security deposits back from apartments too.
Mae

Old 09-16-2016, 07:52 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
I have always hired a move-out cleaning service. Almost any Realtor can provide you with a name or two, usually runs just under what a national chain would run. (And this is where Realtor referral means everything....bad job = bad feedback). For me it always came down to the time money equation. I could never clean a home in an hour, not to mention the time to gather cleaning materials , travel time and gathering trash. There's a value to my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate