Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nope, you're not. I'd rather see empty rooms as well. I see more potential in an empty room than I do in one that's furnished.

As for what I'd do if it were my house -- depends on the situation. If I needed all my furniture elsewhere and was renting furniture just to show the house, forget it. Why should I go to that expense just because people can't use their imagination?
Because you want to sell your house and many people have no imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
As a prospective buyer I prefer seeing the home furnished. While searching pictures on the re sites, it gives me hints about who lives there. Likely my neighbors will be the same. Empty rooms don't give me as much information about how I would fit in, if the people around me will be my kind of people or not. If I see empty, I may not be inspired to look in person.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
I vote furnished.

When we bought our condo, I had a very difficult time imagining how the furniture could be arranged in the living room. Because it has french doors on two sides and a fireplace and a pass through bar, all the furniture had to be floated since there is really only one normal wall. Not being able to imagine how it could work was off putting.

We will be selling soon and will have it sparsely furnished to help the imagination challenged.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
As a buyer I prefer empty. A staged home may look nice but I always feel like it's a tactic to make the space look better than it is - stagers manipulate things to cover up flaws, visually alter size, etc., and it distracts from the actual house; plus since it's not like the furniture will stay, it requires more effort on my part to mentally "remove" everything and visualize my own furniture in the space. Furniture and accessories are all transient, I don't get why buyers care about these things at all. What I really want as a buyer is to see the complete picture and the true condition of the home, not be distracted by all the gloss on top.

Of course, as a SELLER, if your place does have flaws and things that you would rather have covered up or distract buyers from, staging or strategically positioning furniture may be a good idea ))

Old 12-31-2013, 01:17 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
I am actually amazed that so many people claim not to be able to imagine how a house could be furnished whether its staged or empty.

How in the world do these people buy furniture for any house they live in?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 AM

122 posts, read 306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I am actually amazed that so many people claim not to be able to imagine how a house could be furnished whether its staged or empty.

How in the world do these people buy furniture for any house they live in?
One of my guilty pleasures is to watch House Hunters. When they show the house that was chosen 3 months later, I like to look at furniture placement. It is almost always the exact same layout as it was with the previous owner's furnishings. Sure, some rooms may lend themselves to being setup in the identical way. Afterall, how many ways are there to arrange a dining room? But seeing master bedrooms and living rooms with furniture in the exact same arrangement confirms what I already believe about that show and house hunters in general - they lack creativity.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
[quote=SunBeachFun;32810020]One of my guilty pleasures is to watch House Hunters. When they show the house that was chosen 3 months later, I like to look at furniture placement. It is almost always the exact same layout as it was with the previous owner's furnishings....quote]

That is because in many instances the 'new' owners have already bought the property and moved in, so you see a 'staged' viewing, and then their 'actual' living arrangement. I spoke with a realtor who sold a house which was featured on that show. The buyers bought the house, moved their furniture in, then moved the furniture back out for the show, and then moved their stuff back in for the 'after' pictures.

Those shows, as with many 'reality' shows, are not what they seem to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Because you want to sell your house and many people have no imagination.
Correct this. Many realtors advocate having the place empty for your showings, but most people don't have the imagination necessary to know how they can 'fit' their furniture into the new space. There is a reason model homes have furniture; for the less creative, it shows you what the 'house' will look like as a 'home'.

Empty house = desperate seller. Right or not, that impression is more poignant than 'here is the space; figure out how you will use it for YOUR things.' Mind over matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate