Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:17 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I am selling my house and accepted an offer from a buyer. He has a first, middle and two last names. He has signed the contract but did not include one of the last names when he signed. My broker has contacted their broker and asked about it but she gets no answer. Should I worry about this or is it not a big deal? My broker suggests, it allows the buyer a loop hole down the road if they decide not to purchase the house even though they signed a contract. Any thoughts on this and should I be worried? Thanks in advance.

I personally would not accept or sign the contract as the seller until the buyer correctly signs his name. PERIOD!! Every state has different laws, but this doesn't seem right to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
The agent most likely feels this is a non-issue, therefore is not going to waste time looking into it. Up to the OP to determine if this is going to deride the sale.

I would not go by what the agent says as they are an agent and not a lawyer. Agents do not know all the real estate laws. Just send the contract over to your lawyer and have them review it. You should be doing that regardless. Always get a lawyer for a real estate deal.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I personally would not accept or sign the contract as the seller until the buyer correctly signs his name. PERIOD!! Every state has different laws, but this doesn't seem right to me!
Who is to say what constitutes as a correct signature? Signatures are a very personal and unique item.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Hmmm. What about that "she gets no answer" part. There should be something.
Quote:

My realtor felt the seller's realtor isn't that concerned about it. I believe she did mention to the buyer to sign with all names and they did but only with the first letter of one of the last names. I think they always sign their name like that. Anyway, the contract is executed. My realtor said the only way it would be an issue is if we end up in court somehow which I don't think we will. We close in early November and I'm hoping it's smooth sailing. They have their pre-approval from their lender so they are anxious to buy.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Who is to say what constitutes as a correct signature? Signatures are a very personal and unique item.

Unique yes, but you still have to sign a contract with your legal name.... or it's not legal.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
If there is a way to connect someone to it its fine. My bank account has my shortened nick name on it rather than my full legal name. Is the money not mine? Or if you run it all together where really it looks like you left a letter out of the name? It's fine.

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about it. His agent knows its him, so it isn't as though there are no witnesses. Did he apply for a loan? There is paper work that has his name and signature. Handwriting experts can prove its him. There are likely things recorded in the past that have his signature that can be looked up. People buy things all the time that have different variations of their name. It doesn't mean you don't own a car if you buy it as Bob and your name is Robert. And if his intent was to sign the papers as someone else, which obviously it wasn't, that's a legal violation itself.

I think the worst that can happen is there is a fight for the earnest money and it's looked into and discovered that yes it really was him that signed it.

If the name was really different like Nancy Smith and it was signed David Harris, well that I would definitely question and not accept.

A lawyer once told me that you can call yourself anything you like as long as you aren't trying to be someone else.

Or, look at it this way. If a house is owned by Tom J. Smith does that mean it is owned by any or all Tom J. Smiths that make a claim to it? No, it can be traced to the guy who bought it and signed the papers.

Last edited by I love boots.; 10-05-2016 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
I think what matter more is the intent of the signature and if he was gonna claim that he didn't sing it I would think that's a fraudulent act so you should be fine.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I sign my name with the first letter of my first and last names. It is never my complete name signed, and every contract I have ever signed has been legal and binding.
I knew a doctor who's signature was just the letter R, the pharmacy never questioned it. I guess you have the right to sign however you want and he got tired of writing his name out.

I recently bought a home and had to many papers to sing that I used my sloppy quick signature for most of the places I had to sign. I have a neat signature that is somewhat legible and a more scribble one. Depends on the situation which one I use. If it's the store receipt I use the first few letter of my first and last name with a scribble trailing off.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Depending on how the lender puts his name on the mortgage, the buyer will have to sign that way. The lender might also ask for a correction at closing for him to sign the final page with whatever name the lender is using. It's a non-issue, and usually dealt with at closing.

Growing up, until I got married, my drivers license had one last name and I always signed them with a different last name. No one questioned it. I never used my legal name, and places only care that signatures match, not that you can read all the letters.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 PM

89 posts, read 83,048 times
Quote:

My signature is barely legible. Does this mean everything I've ever signed is non-binding? WRONG!! It's a signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate