Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 PM

633 posts, read 577,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My community is gated and the HOA requires a pass for anyone spending the night. They consider anything past 11 p.m. as "overnight". A friend who stayed until 11:30 p.m. got one of those annoying, hard to remove stickers on her car when she visited. So not the place to live if you have a tendency toward one night stands or booty calls. :-)

About 52% of the units where I live are owned by investors who bought when the housing market crashed a few years ago and they are rented out. We just received notices that short term rentals are not allowed.

Before buying a home with an HOA I would definitely look over the rules. Some won't allow any pet over 25 pounds even if you have a single family home, some have rules that your garage door is not allowed to be open except for when you are coming or going. Just make sure you can live with the rules before you buy.

Sounds easy, just need to rent to folks who work night shift.

When I lived in Queens NY the apt across the street was a "hot sheets" apartment. You know sheets never get cold.

It was a furnished studio apt with two twin beds, six illegal bus boys rented it from on of many 24 hour diners nearby. Couple of milkcrates on sidewalk with a portable radio and ashtray for between shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My community is gated and the HOA requires a pass for anyone spending the night. They consider anything past 11 p.m. as "overnight". A friend who stayed until 11:30 p.m. got one of those annoying, hard to remove stickers on her car when she visited. So not the place to live if you have a tendency toward one night stands or booty calls. :-)

About 52% of the units where I live are owned by investors who bought when the housing market crashed a few years ago and they are rented out. We just received notices that short term rentals are not allowed.

Before buying a home with an HOA I would definitely look over the rules. Some won't allow any pet over 25 pounds even if you have a single family home, some have rules that your garage door is not allowed to be open except for when you are coming or going. Just make sure you can live with the rules before you buy.
Sounds like the issue is overnight parking, not overnight guests. I'm assuming they didn't go around knocking on doors at 11 pm to do a bed check?

Neither of the condo/townhouse communities I've owned in had any restrictions on guests aside from parking. Overnight was fine as long as you were in a guest spot, but if you parked in a guest spot every night, that would be an issue because they didn't want owners/renters with more cars than their units were deeded for using up the guest spaces. There was also some street parking - not always that convenient but doable, so I never had issues with people staying overnight. Also no restrictions about someone moving in as long as you were within city zoning codes - no more than a certain number of unrelated adults living together, etc. My current city technically prohibits short term rentals like AirBnB (under 30 days) but that applies to all homes, not just condos and it doesn't seem like it's really enforced.

I had a friend who lived in a community where each unit had a permanent guest pass that they could give out to visitors to put in their car if they were there overnight, no one had to register in advance. Not sure if there was an issue if someone was there all the time, but a few days at a time didn't seem like it was a problem.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:30 PM

30,509 posts, read 17,968,318 times
There are no such restrictions on unit owners in my condo building, which is how I like it; airbnb is not allowed, however. Now, unit owners are free to impose such restrictions on renters, but that's another story.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:02 PM

6,408 posts, read 10,219,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There are no such restrictions on unit owners in my condo building, which is how I like it; airbnb is not allowed, however. Now, unit owners are free to impose such restrictions on renters, but that's another story.
Don't forget that such restrictions are based on the condo rules/bylaws and there is no single answer that fits every situation or condo association. In addition, city/county/state governments can also set their own housing restrictions.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:17 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,077,227 times
I can see why they do it because what happens is each person living there has their own car and suddenly there are cars parked all over the place because they ran out of room in their designated spots and flooded what ever guest parking there might have been. I have seen it get out of hand when 5-6 people all with their own cars move into one 1600 sq ft space, probably so they can all pay to have their own cars. It is obnoxious having to pull out into a one lane road because cars line both sides of the shoulder.

Then there is nothing you can do about it because unless its blocking emergency vehcial access the city wont do anything about it. If you are lucky you might be able to get no parking signs put up but they wont likely be enforced.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:56 PM

30,509 posts, read 17,968,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I can see why they do it because what happens is each person living there has their own car and suddenly there are cars parked all over the place because they ran out of room in their designated spots and flooded what ever guest parking there might have been. I have seen it get out of hand when 5-6 people all with their own cars move into one 1600 sq ft space, probably so they can all pay to have their own cars. It is obnoxious having to pull out into a one lane road because cars line both sides of the shoulder.

Then there is nothing you can do about it because unless its blocking emergency vehcial access the city wont do anything about it. If you are lucky you might be able to get no parking signs put up but they wont likely be enforced.
I see that point. Perhaps just have a more restrictive guest parking policy like my place does, which will either have the same effect or force guests to park on the street? I know that I'd be pissed if my condo association tried to restrict whom I, as an owner, would have at my place and for how long.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 PM

8,230 posts, read 8,562,777 times
Quote:
I know that I'd be pissed if my condo association tried to restrict whom I, as an owner, would have at my place and for how long.
You would have agreed to that before you bought it.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Individuals are free to decide if they wish to purchase a particular condo and live under that association's rules or buy elsewhere. They're not hapless victims.

They are when the rules change after they bought.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,337,170 times
Quote:

"Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property."

Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,077,227 times
Quote:
I see that point. Perhaps just have a more restrictive guest parking policy like my place does, which will either have the same effect or force guests to park on the street? I know that I'd be pissed if my condo association tried to restrict whom I, as an owner, would have at my place and for how long.
Yea but then then the street becomes congested and people start parking in really marginal street areas that are not even parking anymore. My point was less about the guest parking and more about the street parking, its just too many cars everywhere.

Or do the paper work to get no parking signage put up and encourage cops to use the area to generate revnue. It also looks ghetto when there is an abundance of cars lined up down the street, even if they are decent vehicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate