Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,234 times

Advertisements

My house has been on the market since April, 2007. We have lowered the price 4X. There have been showings, and 1 offer based on contigency which we did not accept because of the contingency. I know the market is very slow right now, and there is much competition with plenty of houses for sale. My question is when should a seller change realtors. I have stayed with my realtor for this long because I was always hopeful that my house would sell, but needless to say I am frustrated and depressed with how long my house has been on the market. He gives me pep talks, tells me it will sell eventually, but I am starting to lose hope. What do you think? The house is priced right as far as comparables and the price is negotiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:57 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
My house has been on the market since April, 2007. We have lowered the price 4X. There have been showings, and 1 offer based on contigency which we did not accept because of the contingency. I know the market is very slow right now, and there is much competition with plenty of houses for sale. My question is when should a seller change realtors. I have stayed with my realtor for this long because I was always hopeful that my house would sell, but needless to say I am frustrated and depressed with how long my house has been on the market. He gives me pep talks, tells me it will sell eventually, but I am starting to lose hope. What do you think? The house is priced right as far as comparables and the price is negotiable.
Whether & when to change real estate agents is different in every case. Do you feel it's the real estate agent's fault that the house is not sold? Have they not marketed the house? Is it not being shown as much as other comparable homes? Remember, the real estate agent is responsible to get wualified buyers to yoru house. He can't make people offer to buy it. So you should change your real estate agent if you feel that another one will bring in more buyers than this one has. (And I don't mean bring in buyers personally, that he represents. All the showings from other agents are the result of his marketing as well. Don't change agents because someone else says, "Well, my company brought in three buyers to see your house, your agent only brought in the one.")

Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
The goal is to sell your house in the time frame per your expectations. If that hasn't happened (doesn't sound like it), then yes I'd start looking for someone who can do the job.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 17,769 times
It's ok to change REALTOR's. You need to find someone who can really get the job done. Ask what the average home in your area is on the market for ADOM. However there may be things you need to do to your house to get people actively interested (your REALTOR should be doing this). Go to postlets.com make a flyer then post it to craigslist.com Lago Vista Property the outcome should look like the link. Also curb appeal is quintessential in making property sell. Make sure it looks better than the neighbors. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
I don't think we can give you any advice on whether to change realtors because we really don't have sufficient information. So it may not be fair to blame your realtor. If it is your realtors fault the home is not selling, then of course, make a change. But if it is not the realtors fault, then why fire him/her.
  • What is the inventory in your local market?
  • What is the absorption rate?
  • Where are you priced in relation to the recent Solds?
  • What is location of your home in regards to desirability?
  • What is the condition of your home?
  • Is your home overbuilt or over remodeled for the community?
  • Is the agent doing the marketing job that he/she is supposed to be doing?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I agree with Captain Bill.

If you don't feel that you agent is doing what they need to be doing that is one thing. If they are actively out there marketing the home, and you feel they are working hard for you, then I would not change.

I responded to you in another thread, and I do think you need to take a hard look at the house. Is there anything that would turn a buyer away? Is the home staged, maybe relook at your photos, have a professional take them?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Margel, you say you are priced competitively, but were you back in April? The first 2 weeks on the market are critical and if you weren't priced better than your competitors, you have been playing catch up and losing. Also, what is the harm in accepting an offer with a contingency if you throw back a kickout clause and continue to market the home? That buyer could be living in your house right now.

You should have a chat with your agent, it's a partnership, a marriage. Have you both done everything possible to attract qualified buyers? Perhaps it's time for both of you to move on, or perhaps not. I know that I would not want a house in my inventory for that length of time.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Margel, you say you are priced competitively, but were you back in April? The first 2 weeks on the market are critical and if you weren't priced better than your competitors, you have been playing catch up and losing. Also, what is the harm in accepting an offer with a contingency if you throw back a kickout clause and continue to market the home? That buyer could be living in your house right now.

You should have a chat with your agent, it's a partnership, a marriage. Have you both done everything possible to attract qualified buyers? Perhaps it's time for both of you to move on, or perhaps not. I know that I would not want a house in my inventory for that length of time.
Thanks for your reply. Last April, when I booked with my realtor, based on comparables, he told us what to sell the house for. But then the market in may area turned quickly. I have dropped the price 4 X trying to catch up. Knowing that I did not want the contingency, he agreed with me that it would be risky. He is marketing the house and it does have showings which is why I have stayed with him all this time. But I was wondering what fresh blood, so to speak, would do. Even though he said to wait a bit before lowering it to see what the March market does, I think I am going to go ahead and lower it and hopefully that will attract my buyer.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,448 times
I think something to look at is how long other houses are sitting before they sell. In our area the average house is on the market 150+ days, most houses are taken off the market before they even sell around 125+ days. Every area is different. I know an area where once a house sits for 30 days the seller starts getting nervous because it hasn't sold. If our house sold in less then 30 days I would swear pigs were flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate